Re: First time build

  • Mike Dolph
    Message 1 of 17 , May 26, 2005
      Did you check out these at the same site?

      http://www.newage-prm.co.uk/prm/prm750.htm

      They seem to offer the gear ratios you were looking for last time
      you posted and an 8 degree down angle. I'm not clear if you have to
      take the PTO and trolling valve. The PTO might make a sort of good
      gold dredge pump or clam harvesting pump. If you can't get the gear
      without those then they probably cost more. The gear ratios seem to
      be just right to deliver the right kind of torque/rpm the Atkins
      specified in many of their 15-25 foot boats.

      Mike Dolph

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dmede808" <dmede808@y...> wrote:
      > Not sure on the Palmer weight, I'd think 150# to 200#?
      >
      > I hear ya on no source for small inboards. I really don't want to
      have to use a lawn mower
      > engine in my VS. Ive found a few small industrial motors that
      might work but you need a
      > seperate gearbox.
      >
      > I did find these guys: http://www.newage-prm.co.uk/prm/prm80.htm

    • Lewis E. Gordon
      Message 2 of 17 , May 27, 2005
        John,

        I have a 16 year old 5 HP Long shaft Nissan, and it is a real work
        horse. It has been used on everything from a 9 foot dingy, a 13 foot
        transom sterned canoe, to a 18 or 19 foot local "panga" here on lake
        Nicaragua. On the heavy panga, loaded to the gunnells with fishing
        nets and firewood it still moved right along on regular 18 km trips
        "to the city".

        All three boats you mentioned seem very suited, but I wouldn't be
        afraid to put the 5 HP Nissan on Punch if that is the boat you really
        want to build.

        Lewis
        Grenada, Nicaragua

        > Welcome aboard Jon! If I was thinking of a boat for a 10 hp.
        outboard (and I
        > actually was keeping an eye out for a four stroke 10 horse until I
        found a 5
        > hp. Nissan real cheap the other day) I'd look at Punch and Elon Jessup:
        >
        > http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Oar/Punch.html
        >
        > http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Oar/ElonJessup.html
        >
        > Now that I've got the Nissan my outboard boat dreams have grown a bit
        > smaller, probably Sprite:
        >
        > http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Oar/Sprite.html
        >
        > Punch would handle three big men easily, they'd be a load for Sprite...

      • Mike Dolph
        Message 3 of 17 , May 29, 2005
          Lewis, it appears the little Yanmar diesels made in Brasil are
          avilable as far north as Nicaragua. They list an authotized dealer
          there:

          AUTOMOTORES CROSS S.A.
          KM. 3 1/2 CARRETERA SUL
          MANAGUA
          505 266-1893
          505 266-4827

          one of these might be just the thing for your purposes.

          Mike Dolph

          Message 4 of 17 , May 29, 2005
            Mike,

            I was by AutoCross Friday. Later in the week I should be by their
            again and will stop in and see what is available. Will post any prices
            and info I find.

            Thanks,
            Lewis

            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 2, 2005
              I've got a manual for Palmer's Baby Husky and PW-27 (I've got one of those).
              I'll try to remember to dig it up and see if they give the weight of the BH.

              On Thu, 26 May 2005 17:19:50 -0400, Jon wrote:
              > What did a Palmer baby husky weigh?

              There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.
              <Albert Schweitzer>
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 2, 2005
                I've heard that Tohatsu (that's what Nissan's really are) outboards have
                been used on work and fishing boats in Japan for years, and are highly
                regarded there. But these 4-strokes are something new. A friend of mine
                has a 4-horse 4-stroke Nissan, and apart from a clog in the carburettor
                once, it's been serving hum well. I think I'll be happy with mine. I sure
                liked the price!

                Whether I go with Sprite or Punch depends on how much of a speed demon I
                feel like. <g> Something Sprite's size would suit me most of the time, but
                the extra capacity of Punch would be nice occasionally -- and of course if I
                use that capacity Punch will go even slower with 5-horses pushing it...

                But first I have to get my Valgerda back in the water. I'm going too slow,
                and I doubt I'll have it ready for the Sucia Island rendezvous next month.
                Maybe it'll be done in time for the Port Townsend festival...

                On Sat, 28 May 2005 03:25:11 -0000, Lewis wrote:

                > I have a 16 year old 5 HP Long shaft Nissan, and it is a real work
                > horse. It has been used on everything from a 9 foot dingy, a 13 foot
                > transom sterned canoe, to a 18 or 19 foot local "panga" here on lake
                > Nicaragua. On the heavy panga, loaded to the gunnells with fishing
                > nets and firewood it still moved right along on regular 18 km trips
                > "to the city".

                Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. <Groucho Marx>