Re: First time build

  • brianincorv
    Message 1 of 17 , May 26, 2005
      I've noticed that Atkin Grand Banks dorys come in two types: one has
      no keel and is traditional Grand Banks construction (Freda M.
      Himmelmann). It includes an outboard well, and I assume could easily
      take a sprit or lug sail in the old fashion. The others (Pemaquid and
      Abie Porpoise) have keels with outside ballast and inboard engine
      boxes. I would assume that they would handle very well. If shoving
      about on sand is an issue, the traditional type is much better (like
      our Pacific City dorys in Oregon). Another option, although I know
      this is an Atkin site, is the ply-epoxy dorys of Jeff Spira. I have
      plans for the smaller one (Nova Scotian, 16' 2" LOA, 12' on bottom),
      and it is a simple, clear set of plans. The one that might fit your
      requirements is the Alaskan, which is 19' LOA. It has an outboard
      well. The boats are designed for mahogany (luan) ply over mahogany or
      similar frames. Both have an optional sail rig. Spira's an engineer
      and fishing expert, who also designs boats, not the kind of legend
      that the Atkin's are, but his designs seem to work. Trailering, of
      course, can be an issue with regards to construction types. Could
      anyone tell me how traditional dory construction fares, living on a
      trailer?
    • Mike Dolph
      Message 2 of 17 , May 26, 2005
        Did you check out these at the same site?

        http://www.newage-prm.co.uk/prm/prm750.htm

        They seem to offer the gear ratios you were looking for last time
        you posted and an 8 degree down angle. I'm not clear if you have to
        take the PTO and trolling valve. The PTO might make a sort of good
        gold dredge pump or clam harvesting pump. If you can't get the gear
        without those then they probably cost more. The gear ratios seem to
        be just right to deliver the right kind of torque/rpm the Atkins
        specified in many of their 15-25 foot boats.

        Mike Dolph

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dmede808" <dmede808@y...> wrote:
        > Not sure on the Palmer weight, I'd think 150# to 200#?
        >
        > I hear ya on no source for small inboards. I really don't want to
        have to use a lawn mower
        > engine in my VS. Ive found a few small industrial motors that
        might work but you need a
        > seperate gearbox.
        >
        > I did find these guys: http://www.newage-prm.co.uk/prm/prm80.htm

      • Lewis E. Gordon
        Message 3 of 17 , May 27, 2005
          John,

          I have a 16 year old 5 HP Long shaft Nissan, and it is a real work
          horse. It has been used on everything from a 9 foot dingy, a 13 foot
          transom sterned canoe, to a 18 or 19 foot local "panga" here on lake
          Nicaragua. On the heavy panga, loaded to the gunnells with fishing
          nets and firewood it still moved right along on regular 18 km trips
          "to the city".

          All three boats you mentioned seem very suited, but I wouldn't be
          afraid to put the 5 HP Nissan on Punch if that is the boat you really
          want to build.

          Lewis
          Grenada, Nicaragua

          > Welcome aboard Jon! If I was thinking of a boat for a 10 hp.
          outboard (and I
          > actually was keeping an eye out for a four stroke 10 horse until I
          found a 5
          > hp. Nissan real cheap the other day) I'd look at Punch and Elon Jessup:
          >
          > http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Oar/Punch.html
          >
          > http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Oar/ElonJessup.html
          >
          > Now that I've got the Nissan my outboard boat dreams have grown a bit
          > smaller, probably Sprite:
          >
          > http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Oar/Sprite.html
          >
          > Punch would handle three big men easily, they'd be a load for Sprite...

        • Mike Dolph
          Message 4 of 17 , May 29, 2005
            Lewis, it appears the little Yanmar diesels made in Brasil are
            avilable as far north as Nicaragua. They list an authotized dealer
            there:

            AUTOMOTORES CROSS S.A.
            KM. 3 1/2 CARRETERA SUL
            MANAGUA
            505 266-1893
            505 266-4827

            one of these might be just the thing for your purposes.

            Mike Dolph

            Message 5 of 17 , May 29, 2005
              Mike,

              I was by AutoCross Friday. Later in the week I should be by their
              again and will stop in and see what is available. Will post any prices
              and info I find.

              Thanks,
              Lewis

              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 2, 2005
                I've got a manual for Palmer's Baby Husky and PW-27 (I've got one of those).
                I'll try to remember to dig it up and see if they give the weight of the BH.

                On Thu, 26 May 2005 17:19:50 -0400, Jon wrote:
                > What did a Palmer baby husky weigh?

                There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.
                <Albert Schweitzer>
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 2, 2005
                  I've heard that Tohatsu (that's what Nissan's really are) outboards have
                  been used on work and fishing boats in Japan for years, and are highly
                  regarded there. But these 4-strokes are something new. A friend of mine
                  has a 4-horse 4-stroke Nissan, and apart from a clog in the carburettor
                  once, it's been serving hum well. I think I'll be happy with mine. I sure
                  liked the price!

                  Whether I go with Sprite or Punch depends on how much of a speed demon I
                  feel like. <g> Something Sprite's size would suit me most of the time, but
                  the extra capacity of Punch would be nice occasionally -- and of course if I
                  use that capacity Punch will go even slower with 5-horses pushing it...

                  But first I have to get my Valgerda back in the water. I'm going too slow,
                  and I doubt I'll have it ready for the Sucia Island rendezvous next month.
                  Maybe it'll be done in time for the Port Townsend festival...

                  On Sat, 28 May 2005 03:25:11 -0000, Lewis wrote:

                  > I have a 16 year old 5 HP Long shaft Nissan, and it is a real work
                  > horse. It has been used on everything from a 9 foot dingy, a 13 foot
                  > transom sterned canoe, to a 18 or 19 foot local "panga" here on lake
                  > Nicaragua. On the heavy panga, loaded to the gunnells with fishing
                  > nets and firewood it still moved right along on regular 18 km trips
                  > "to the city".

                  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. <Groucho Marx>