Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: First time build

  • Cooper & Price
    Message 1 of 17 , May 26, 2005
      The Victor Slocum is on my list of maybe's - the motor size is a concern.

      What did a Palmer baby husky weigh?

      I wish there was a good (heck any for that matter ANY) source for small inboard motors and gearboxes in this country.

      Jon Cassino

      This email has been scanned by Norton Anti-Virus prior to being sent to you.
      Message 2 of 17 , May 26, 2005
        Not sure on the Palmer weight, I'd think 150# to 200#?

        I hear ya on no source for small inboards. I really don't want to have to use a lawn mower
        engine in my VS. Ive found a few small industrial motors that might work but you need a
        seperate gearbox.

        I did find these guys: http://www.newage-prm.co.uk/prm/prm80.htm

        they make a nice small gearbox that could be adapted to a small motor. they have
        distributors in the US. Price is around $700 I think.

      • brianincorv
        Message 3 of 17 , May 26, 2005
          I've noticed that Atkin Grand Banks dorys come in two types: one has
          no keel and is traditional Grand Banks construction (Freda M.
          Himmelmann). It includes an outboard well, and I assume could easily
          take a sprit or lug sail in the old fashion. The others (Pemaquid and
          Abie Porpoise) have keels with outside ballast and inboard engine
          boxes. I would assume that they would handle very well. If shoving
          about on sand is an issue, the traditional type is much better (like
          our Pacific City dorys in Oregon). Another option, although I know
          this is an Atkin site, is the ply-epoxy dorys of Jeff Spira. I have
          plans for the smaller one (Nova Scotian, 16' 2" LOA, 12' on bottom),
          and it is a simple, clear set of plans. The one that might fit your
          requirements is the Alaskan, which is 19' LOA. It has an outboard
          well. The boats are designed for mahogany (luan) ply over mahogany or
          similar frames. Both have an optional sail rig. Spira's an engineer
          and fishing expert, who also designs boats, not the kind of legend
          that the Atkin's are, but his designs seem to work. Trailering, of
          course, can be an issue with regards to construction types. Could
          anyone tell me how traditional dory construction fares, living on a
          trailer?
        • Mike Dolph
          Message 4 of 17 , May 26, 2005
            Did you check out these at the same site?

            http://www.newage-prm.co.uk/prm/prm750.htm

            They seem to offer the gear ratios you were looking for last time
            you posted and an 8 degree down angle. I'm not clear if you have to
            take the PTO and trolling valve. The PTO might make a sort of good
            gold dredge pump or clam harvesting pump. If you can't get the gear
            without those then they probably cost more. The gear ratios seem to
            be just right to deliver the right kind of torque/rpm the Atkins
            specified in many of their 15-25 foot boats.

            Mike Dolph

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dmede808" <dmede808@y...> wrote:
            > Not sure on the Palmer weight, I'd think 150# to 200#?
            >
            > I hear ya on no source for small inboards. I really don't want to
            have to use a lawn mower
            > engine in my VS. Ive found a few small industrial motors that
            might work but you need a
            > seperate gearbox.
            >
            > I did find these guys: http://www.newage-prm.co.uk/prm/prm80.htm

          • Lewis E. Gordon
            Message 5 of 17 , May 27, 2005
              John,

              I have a 16 year old 5 HP Long shaft Nissan, and it is a real work
              horse. It has been used on everything from a 9 foot dingy, a 13 foot
              transom sterned canoe, to a 18 or 19 foot local "panga" here on lake
              Nicaragua. On the heavy panga, loaded to the gunnells with fishing
              nets and firewood it still moved right along on regular 18 km trips
              "to the city".

              All three boats you mentioned seem very suited, but I wouldn't be
              afraid to put the 5 HP Nissan on Punch if that is the boat you really
              want to build.

              Lewis
              Grenada, Nicaragua

              > Welcome aboard Jon! If I was thinking of a boat for a 10 hp.
              outboard (and I
              > actually was keeping an eye out for a four stroke 10 horse until I
              found a 5
              > hp. Nissan real cheap the other day) I'd look at Punch and Elon Jessup:
              >
              > http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Oar/Punch.html
              >
              > http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Oar/ElonJessup.html
              >
              > Now that I've got the Nissan my outboard boat dreams have grown a bit
              > smaller, probably Sprite:
              >
              > http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Oar/Sprite.html
              >
              > Punch would handle three big men easily, they'd be a load for Sprite...

            • Mike Dolph
              Message 6 of 17 , May 29, 2005
                Lewis, it appears the little Yanmar diesels made in Brasil are
                avilable as far north as Nicaragua. They list an authotized dealer
                there:

                AUTOMOTORES CROSS S.A.
                KM. 3 1/2 CARRETERA SUL
                MANAGUA
                505 266-1893
                505 266-4827

                one of these might be just the thing for your purposes.

                Mike Dolph

                Message 7 of 17 , May 29, 2005
                  Mike,

                  I was by AutoCross Friday. Later in the week I should be by their
                  again and will stop in and see what is available. Will post any prices
                  and info I find.

                  Thanks,
                  Lewis

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 2, 2005
                    I've got a manual for Palmer's Baby Husky and PW-27 (I've got one of those).
                    I'll try to remember to dig it up and see if they give the weight of the BH.

                    On Thu, 26 May 2005 17:19:50 -0400, Jon wrote:
                    > What did a Palmer baby husky weigh?

                    There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.
                    <Albert Schweitzer>
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 2, 2005
                      I've heard that Tohatsu (that's what Nissan's really are) outboards have
                      been used on work and fishing boats in Japan for years, and are highly
                      regarded there. But these 4-strokes are something new. A friend of mine
                      has a 4-horse 4-stroke Nissan, and apart from a clog in the carburettor
                      once, it's been serving hum well. I think I'll be happy with mine. I sure
                      liked the price!

                      Whether I go with Sprite or Punch depends on how much of a speed demon I
                      feel like. <g> Something Sprite's size would suit me most of the time, but
                      the extra capacity of Punch would be nice occasionally -- and of course if I
                      use that capacity Punch will go even slower with 5-horses pushing it...

                      But first I have to get my Valgerda back in the water. I'm going too slow,
                      and I doubt I'll have it ready for the Sucia Island rendezvous next month.
                      Maybe it'll be done in time for the Port Townsend festival...

                      On Sat, 28 May 2005 03:25:11 -0000, Lewis wrote:

                      > I have a 16 year old 5 HP Long shaft Nissan, and it is a real work
                      > horse. It has been used on everything from a 9 foot dingy, a 13 foot
                      > transom sterned canoe, to a 18 or 19 foot local "panga" here on lake
                      > Nicaragua. On the heavy panga, loaded to the gunnells with fishing
                      > nets and firewood it still moved right along on regular 18 km trips
                      > "to the city".

                      Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. <Groucho Marx>