Re: [AtkinBoats] Huskie Scow does it work?

  • Chuck Leinweber
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 18, 2004
      Hi, Lon:

      Way down here on the gulf coast, you see lots of fishing boats with tunnel hulls. These boats will operate in water so shallow, that if you stop them, they will settle down and you can't get them going again.

      Chuck
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 18, 2004
        >I find the Atkins boats very interesting. The Huskie scow intrigues
        >me. It requires a 14 inch prop and the center line of the shaft is 3
        >inches above the water line. So when the boat is setting still 10
        >inches of prop is out of the water. I understand about the tunnel and
        >end plate and how props pull and push water. It would be grand to
        >have a work boat that will float in 5 inches of water. Has any one
        >seen any boat with this much prop exposed perform.
        > Lon

        Isn't that the one with the accompanying photo? I imagine it worked just fine.
        --
        Craig O'Donnell
        Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

        -- Macintosh kinda guy
        Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
        _________________________________
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 19, 2004
          I've never seen one of those real shallow tunnel-stern boats in person, at
          least that I know of (with one possible exception, see below), but they're
          not some crackpot idea. I've got plans of several of them, by at least three
          designers, and spread out over a pretty good stretch of years. I suspect
          they work as advertised, but with some loss of speed and towing power.
          William Atkin says that the square-section tunnel like Huskie's is the least
          efficient, the ones with the angled sides to the tunnel like Twinkle are
          better, but his tunnel-stern Seabright skiffs like Everhope and Nibble and
          V-bottom Seabright skiffs like Shoals Runner and Rescue Minor are the best
          of all. They're also the hardest ones to build. A fellow Robb White talked
          to who'd built a Rescue Minor in plywood said it was the hardest boat to
          build he'd ever tried. Of course that statement begs for more details, how
          many boats had the guy built, and were they Instant Boats or something more
          challenging?

          Another form of tunnel has cylindrical sections. A derelict steel Siuslaw
          River tugboat with twin tunnels is now hauled out and propped up behind the
          rotting little wooden log tugs alongside Highway 126 just east of the North
          Fork bridge near Florence, Oregon. I haven't stopped yet to take a close
          look at whether the tunnels extend above the waterline, their exits are
          below it. I'll look closer next time I'm over there.

          Speaking of Robb White, he has nothing but praise for the way his Rescue
          Minor handles, and, if he's to be believed, it goes along at a pretty good
          rate of speed with a modest powerplant. It even backs up well. I kinda think
          that the more "tunnely" tunnel sterns might not pull the water in as well
          going in reverse as forward. But who knows?

          BTW Craig, there's no accompanying photo with the plans for Huskie in volume
          8 of the Ideal series.

          On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 17:44:19 -0000, Lon wrote:
          > I find the Atkins boats very interesting. The Huskie scow intrigues
          > me. It requires a 14 inch prop and the center line of the shaft is 3
          > inches above the water line. So when the boat is setting still 10
          > inches of prop is out of the water. I understand about the tunnel and
          > end plate and how props pull and push water. It would be grand to
          > have a work boat that will float in 5 inches of water. Has any one
          > seen any boat with this much prop exposed perform.

          No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself
          into jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance
          of being drowned... A man in jail has more room, better food, and
          commonly better company. <Samuel Johnson>
        • lon wells
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 20, 2004
            --- jkohnen@... wrote:
            > Another form of tunnel has cylindrical sections. A
            > derelict steel Siuslaw
            > River tugboat with twin tunnels is now hauled out
            > and propped up behind the
            > rotting little wooden log tugs alongside Highway 126
            > just east of the North
            > Fork bridge near Florence, Oregon. I haven't stopped
            > yet to take a close
            > look at whether the tunnels extend above the
            > waterline, their exits are
            > below it. I'll look closer next time I'm over there.

            John

            If you do stop and take a look could you please post
            some pictures in a temporary file. I have been
            looking for a shallow draft steel hull to make into a
            live aboard. (my little steel tug has a cylindrical
            tunnel)

            I would like something like the Atkins Huckleberry
            Finn hull with a Alma Scow Schooner rig and a large
            aft cabin like my Chinese Junk had. it would look a
            bit like a pirate ship. I would need to greatly
            increase my rum consumption to be a good pirate. We
            have been watching "Pirates of the Caribbean" too
            much. The wife has been planning a Caribbean Vacation
            to Culebra next winter. It is a National Wildlife
            Refuge with camping and small Inns. I do want to see
            the Caribbean so this might be how we do it since
            those lottery tickets have not been good lately.
            Lon

            http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 22, 2004
              I surely will post the pictures after I stop and look at that derelict tug.
              In the meantime, here's one taken of her when she was hauled up on the bank.
              It doesn't show if the tunnels extend above the waterline, but gives you
              some idea of what she looks like. Given the apparent depth of her rudders, I
              suspect that the tunnels aren't above the waterline, what'd be the point?

              Carol was built by the Soule Steel Company at San Francisco in 1944, and
              measures (for tonnage, not the overall length) 43.7' by 14'. She worked for
              Florence Marine Construction for many years. In January of 2000 she sank at
              her mooring, and they didn't bother trying to resurrect her. I heard that
              they didn't even try to dry out the engines, so they're shot. Carol was no
              beauty, but the tug they got to replace her is really a dog, looks like a
              barge with a wheelhouse stuck on top. :ob

              If anyone's interested in seeing Lon's "tugboat", see above. I assume it
              doesn't have a high tunnel, like Huskie, or he wouldn't be asking if they
              work. I can testify that there's sometimes too little water at the upper end
              of Lon's slough for his tug! I've seen it with my own eyes. <g>

              On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:08:07 -0800 (PST), Lon wrote:
              > If you do stop and take a look could you please post
              > some pictures in a temporary file. I have been
              > looking for a shallow draft steel hull to make into a
              > live aboard. (my little steel tug has a cylindrical
              > tunnel)

              The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can
              be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.
              <Elizabeth Taylor>
            • Hugo Tyson
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 22, 2004
                What is it ?? !! Lon's Tug Boat looks insanely bizzarre and heavily abused to say the least!!

                jkohnen@... wrote:
                I surely will post the pictures after I stop and look at that derelict tug.
                In the meantime, here's one taken of her when she was hauled up on the bank.
                It doesn't show if the tunnels extend above the waterline, but gives you
                some idea of what she looks like. Given the apparent depth of her rudders, I
                suspect that the tunnels aren't above the waterline, what'd be the point?

                Carol was built by the Soule Steel Company at San Francisco in 1944, and
                measures (for tonnage, not the overall length) 43.7' by 14'. She worked for
                Florence Marine Construction for many years. In January of 2000 she sank at
                her mooring, and they didn't bother trying to resurrect her. I heard that
                they didn't even try to dry out the engines, so they're shot. Carol was no
                beauty, but the tug they got to replace her is really a dog, looks like a
                barge with a wheelhouse stuck on top. :ob

                If anyone's interested in seeing Lon's "tugboat", see above. I assume it
                doesn't have a high tunnel, like Huskie, or he wouldn't be asking if they
                work. I can testify that there's sometimes too little water at the upper end
                of Lon's slough for his tug! I've seen it with my own eyes. <g>

                On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:08:07 -0800 (PST), Lon wrote:
                > If you do stop and take a look could you please post
                > some pictures in a temporary file. I have been
                > looking for a shallow draft steel hull to make into a
                > live aboard. (my little steel tug has a cylindrical
                > tunnel)

                The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can
                be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.
                <Elizabeth Taylor>

                No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite. The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at
                <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                Click Here

              • lon wells
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 22, 2004
                  --- Hugo Tyson <hhetyson@...> wrote:
                  > What is it ?? !! Lon's Tug Boat looks insanely
                  > bizzarre and heavily abused to say the least!!

                  Those are war scars she is a old Army soldier or maybe
                  She is a working girl and they look a little rough
                  sometimes. My little tug is a old Army Corps Of
                  Engineers Utility Launch. Every large dam has a
                  similar tug as a basic work boat and mainly gathering
                  logs before they go through the dam.

                  Since I traded my steel scrap dealer, scrap steel from
                  my fab shop for her. I really can not argue about her
                  looks. She has a 453 Detroit Diesel with a 3 blade 24
                  inch prop. I use her as a work boat to move
                  boathouses,dock sections, gather logs and move my pile
                  driver around.

                  I took one of her props into Sheffield last spring and
                  they showed me their stamp on it and told me they had
                  worked on that prop in 1962. So all of those dings and
                  dents are from moving logs for 40 plus years.
                  Lon

                  "Tubby the tugboat can huff and puff
                  And push and pull to move big stuff.
                  That's the sound of Tubby the tug;