Re: [AtkinBoats] "Sur Flo" and other stuff

  • DirtSailor
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 12, 2005
      Robb,

      "I believe that rubber impeller raw water
      pumps were invented by people who were in the business
      of trying to sell more marine engines. They are
      treacherous."

      Amen to that! I grew up on boats with larger diesel
      engines, operated several, owned several, all had raw
      water pumps that required rubber impellers, replaced
      them every 100 hrs, even if they didn't look bad. As
      we know the rubber breaks down overtime, plus it
      conforms to its surroundings, hence if it spins in one
      direction all the time it will fold, bend, etc
      opposite of the force, which creates a negative seal
      between the impeller and the housing, resulting in
      less suction. Which as an end result leads to burnt
      out bearings in the pump, or in a worse case scenario,
      an overheated cracked up engine. About time someone
      came up with something better.

      Dirtsailor

    • robrohdeszudy
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 23, 2005
        > One other thing: I joined this group to lurk around and find out
        > if there is anybody who has built or knows anybody who has built
        any
        > of the Atkin Seabright tunnel boats besides Alex Hadden and me.
        > I'll ask that question now. Thank you all for your consideration
        in
        > this matter.

        Greetings Mr. White,

        I'm a big fan of your writing. I'm also grateful to you for actually
        building one of these tunnel stern boats and writing about the
        results.

        I have not yet built one, but I plan to. (Just finished a Bolger
        Light Schooner and the wife says I have to wait a few years before
        building another!) To that end I have a couple questions for you.

        First, would you mind providing a list of the mechanical parts that
        went into Rescue Minor with sources and approximate costs? Inboard
        power, particularly at 20hp, is a new to many of us in Outboard
        Wonder Land (Wisconsin). I'd particularly love to know what reverse
        gear you're using, source, cost, etc.

        Now on to the hull. I'm trying to decide between Rescue Minor and
        Shoals Runner.

        What's your take on the different chine sections? To me, the Rescue
        Minor looks like the better sea boat, since Shoals Runner has a point
        where the chine reverses, forming a straight-up flat-bottomed skiff
        for that little bit. My light schooner has that hull form and gets
        the hell beaten out of it by powerboat wakes. But maybe it doesn't
        matter when it's such a small area?

        I'd love to hear your thoughts on that. To put this in context, I'm
        thinking about the steep chop of the great lakes and these wide,
        shallow puddles we have all over up here. I guess that Normandy stern
        might help there.

        I'm somewhat inclined toward Shoals Runner, all other things being
        equal, since it seems nobody's built one. It'd be nice to see how it
        runs!

        But total weight counts. I don't really want to mess with trailer
        brakes, so I think that limits me to 3750# for boat and trailer in
        Wisconsin. Might be 2000#.

        I'm pretty sure your Rescue Minor weighs pretty close to Atkin's.
        Anybody got a guess on the hull weights on these two designs?

        If you read Duckworks you probably know I'll be writing about the
        results of whatever I build. I just can't shut up, I guess.

        Many thanks in advance, folks.
        --Rob Rohde-Szudy