Huskie Scow does it work?

  • Lon Wells
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 18, 2004
      I find the Atkins boats very interesting. The Huskie scow intrigues
      me. It requires a 14 inch prop and the center line of the shaft is 3
      inches above the water line. So when the boat is setting still 10
      inches of prop is out of the water. I understand about the tunnel and
      end plate and how props pull and push water. It would be grand to
      have a work boat that will float in 5 inches of water. Has any one
      seen any boat with this much prop exposed perform.
      Lon
    • Chuck Leinweber
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 18, 2004
        Hi, Lon:

        Way down here on the gulf coast, you see lots of fishing boats with tunnel hulls. These boats will operate in water so shallow, that if you stop them, they will settle down and you can't get them going again.

        Chuck
        I find the Atkins boats very interesting. The Huskie scow intrigues
        me. It requires a 14 inch prop and the center line of the shaft is 3
        inches above the water line. So when the boat is setting still 10
        inches of prop is out of the water. I understand about the tunnel and
        end plate and how props pull and push water. It would be grand to
        have a work boat that will float in 5 inches of water. Has any one
        seen any boat with this much prop exposed perform.
        Lon

        No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite. The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at
        <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • craig o'donnell
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 18, 2004
          >I find the Atkins boats very interesting. The Huskie scow intrigues
          >me. It requires a 14 inch prop and the center line of the shaft is 3
          >inches above the water line. So when the boat is setting still 10
          >inches of prop is out of the water. I understand about the tunnel and
          >end plate and how props pull and push water. It would be grand to
          >have a work boat that will float in 5 inches of water. Has any one
          >seen any boat with this much prop exposed perform.
          > Lon

          Isn't that the one with the accompanying photo? I imagine it worked just fine.
          --
          Craig O'Donnell
          Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

          -- Macintosh kinda guy
          Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
          _________________________________
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 19, 2004
            I've never seen one of those real shallow tunnel-stern boats in person, at
            least that I know of (with one possible exception, see below), but they're
            not some crackpot idea. I've got plans of several of them, by at least three
            designers, and spread out over a pretty good stretch of years. I suspect
            they work as advertised, but with some loss of speed and towing power.
            William Atkin says that the square-section tunnel like Huskie's is the least
            efficient, the ones with the angled sides to the tunnel like Twinkle are
            better, but his tunnel-stern Seabright skiffs like Everhope and Nibble and
            V-bottom Seabright skiffs like Shoals Runner and Rescue Minor are the best
            of all. They're also the hardest ones to build. A fellow Robb White talked
            to who'd built a Rescue Minor in plywood said it was the hardest boat to
            build he'd ever tried. Of course that statement begs for more details, how
            many boats had the guy built, and were they Instant Boats or something more
            challenging?

            Another form of tunnel has cylindrical sections. A derelict steel Siuslaw
            River tugboat with twin tunnels is now hauled out and propped up behind the
            rotting little wooden log tugs alongside Highway 126 just east of the North
            Fork bridge near Florence, Oregon. I haven't stopped yet to take a close
            look at whether the tunnels extend above the waterline, their exits are
            below it. I'll look closer next time I'm over there.

            Speaking of Robb White, he has nothing but praise for the way his Rescue
            Minor handles, and, if he's to be believed, it goes along at a pretty good
            rate of speed with a modest powerplant. It even backs up well. I kinda think
            that the more "tunnely" tunnel sterns might not pull the water in as well
            going in reverse as forward. But who knows?

            BTW Craig, there's no accompanying photo with the plans for Huskie in volume
            8 of the Ideal series.

            On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 17:44:19 -0000, Lon wrote:
            > I find the Atkins boats very interesting. The Huskie scow intrigues
            > me. It requires a 14 inch prop and the center line of the shaft is 3
            > inches above the water line. So when the boat is setting still 10
            > inches of prop is out of the water. I understand about the tunnel and
            > end plate and how props pull and push water. It would be grand to
            > have a work boat that will float in 5 inches of water. Has any one
            > seen any boat with this much prop exposed perform.

            No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself
            into jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance
            of being drowned... A man in jail has more room, better food, and
            commonly better company. <Samuel Johnson>
          • lon wells
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 20, 2004
              --- jkohnen@... wrote:
              > Another form of tunnel has cylindrical sections. A
              > derelict steel Siuslaw
              > River tugboat with twin tunnels is now hauled out
              > and propped up behind the
              > rotting little wooden log tugs alongside Highway 126
              > just east of the North
              > Fork bridge near Florence, Oregon. I haven't stopped
              > yet to take a close
              > look at whether the tunnels extend above the
              > waterline, their exits are
              > below it. I'll look closer next time I'm over there.

              John

              If you do stop and take a look could you please post
              some pictures in a temporary file. I have been
              looking for a shallow draft steel hull to make into a
              live aboard. (my little steel tug has a cylindrical
              tunnel)

              I would like something like the Atkins Huckleberry
              Finn hull with a Alma Scow Schooner rig and a large
              aft cabin like my Chinese Junk had. it would look a
              bit like a pirate ship. I would need to greatly
              increase my rum consumption to be a good pirate. We
              have been watching "Pirates of the Caribbean" too
              much. The wife has been planning a Caribbean Vacation
              to Culebra next winter. It is a National Wildlife
              Refuge with camping and small Inns. I do want to see
              the Caribbean so this might be how we do it since
              those lottery tickets have not been good lately.
              Lon

              http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 22, 2004
                I surely will post the pictures after I stop and look at that derelict tug.
                In the meantime, here's one taken of her when she was hauled up on the bank.
                It doesn't show if the tunnels extend above the waterline, but gives you
                some idea of what she looks like. Given the apparent depth of her rudders, I
                suspect that the tunnels aren't above the waterline, what'd be the point?

                Carol was built by the Soule Steel Company at San Francisco in 1944, and
                measures (for tonnage, not the overall length) 43.7' by 14'. She worked for
                Florence Marine Construction for many years. In January of 2000 she sank at
                her mooring, and they didn't bother trying to resurrect her. I heard that
                they didn't even try to dry out the engines, so they're shot. Carol was no
                beauty, but the tug they got to replace her is really a dog, looks like a
                barge with a wheelhouse stuck on top. :ob

                If anyone's interested in seeing Lon's "tugboat", see above. I assume it
                doesn't have a high tunnel, like Huskie, or he wouldn't be asking if they
                work. I can testify that there's sometimes too little water at the upper end
                of Lon's slough for his tug! I've seen it with my own eyes. <g>

                On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:08:07 -0800 (PST), Lon wrote:
                > If you do stop and take a look could you please post
                > some pictures in a temporary file. I have been
                > looking for a shallow draft steel hull to make into a
                > live aboard. (my little steel tug has a cylindrical
                > tunnel)

                The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can
                be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.
                <Elizabeth Taylor>
              • Hugo Tyson
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 22, 2004
                  What is it ?? !! Lon's Tug Boat looks insanely bizzarre and heavily abused to say the least!!

                  jkohnen@... wrote:
                  I surely will post the pictures after I stop and look at that derelict tug.
                  In the meantime, here's one taken of her when she was hauled up on the bank.
                  It doesn't show if the tunnels extend above the waterline, but gives you
                  some idea of what she looks like. Given the apparent depth of her rudders, I
                  suspect that the tunnels aren't above the waterline, what'd be the point?

                  Carol was built by the Soule Steel Company at San Francisco in 1944, and
                  measures (for tonnage, not the overall length) 43.7' by 14'. She worked for
                  Florence Marine Construction for many years. In January of 2000 she sank at
                  her mooring, and they didn't bother trying to resurrect her. I heard that
                  they didn't even try to dry out the engines, so they're shot. Carol was no
                  beauty, but the tug they got to replace her is really a dog, looks like a
                  barge with a wheelhouse stuck on top. :ob

                  If anyone's interested in seeing Lon's "tugboat", see above. I assume it
                  doesn't have a high tunnel, like Huskie, or he wouldn't be asking if they
                  work. I can testify that there's sometimes too little water at the upper end
                  of Lon's slough for his tug! I've seen it with my own eyes. <g>

                  On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:08:07 -0800 (PST), Lon wrote:
                  > If you do stop and take a look could you please post
                  > some pictures in a temporary file. I have been
                  > looking for a shallow draft steel hull to make into a
                  > live aboard. (my little steel tug has a cylindrical
                  > tunnel)

                  The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can
                  be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.
                  <Elizabeth Taylor>

                  No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite. The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at
                  <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                  Click Here

                • lon wells
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 22, 2004
                    --- Hugo Tyson <hhetyson@...> wrote:
                    > What is it ?? !! Lon's Tug Boat looks insanely
                    > bizzarre and heavily abused to say the least!!

                    Those are war scars she is a old Army soldier or maybe
                    She is a working girl and they look a little rough
                    sometimes. My little tug is a old Army Corps Of
                    Engineers Utility Launch. Every large dam has a
                    similar tug as a basic work boat and mainly gathering
                    logs before they go through the dam.

                    Since I traded my steel scrap dealer, scrap steel from
                    my fab shop for her. I really can not argue about her
                    looks. She has a 453 Detroit Diesel with a 3 blade 24
                    inch prop. I use her as a work boat to move
                    boathouses,dock sections, gather logs and move my pile
                    driver around.

                    I took one of her props into Sheffield last spring and
                    they showed me their stamp on it and told me they had
                    worked on that prop in 1962. So all of those dings and
                    dents are from moving logs for 40 plus years.
                    Lon

                    "Tubby the tugboat can huff and puff
                    And push and pull to move big stuff.
                    That's the sound of Tubby the tug;