Re: Small air cooled inboard motors

  • dmede808
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 6, 2005
      No problem Mike. I appreciate the help. I do know about the thrust bearing issue. There
      is a load spec for the PTO bearing on the HATZ but I dont have any idea what the prop and
      shaft thrust load will be, or how to calculate it.

      HATZ has several gearbox options for those motors and I may use one for gear reduction
      and reverse gearing if possible. Hopefully that gearbox will be able to take the thrust load
      but if not I'll have to rig an inline thrust bearing. Mcmaster Carr has pillow-block bearings
      that may do the job.

      http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/DisplCtlgPage.asp?
      ReqTyp=CATALOG&CtlgPgNbr=1026&CtlgEdition=&RelatedCtlgPgs=1026,1027,1028,102
      9,1030,1031,1032,957,967,969,972,973,1010&sesnextrep=432744623004951&ScreenW
      idth=1600&McMMainWidth=1003

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdolph@s...> wrote:

> [...]
      > problems with no real ability t help but there is one more necessary
      > component for a marine engine. You need a thrust bearing. This is
      > the bearing that absorbs the push of the propeller that's
      > transimitted up the shaft and transfers it to the hull usually via
      > the engine body and engine mounts. The alternative is to have the
      > shaft trying to spear through the engine.
      >
      > The marine engines have this designed into the reduction gear and the
      > forces are taken into account if they will be transmitted via the
      > engine block. This might be why we have "reduction/reverser" gears
      > vs "transmissions" in other vehicles. It's a fundamentally different
      > useage of the power. The United Nations FAO has a design for
      > something like this they used in India and I suspect Robb White did
      > something similar in his Rescue Minor. As I recall it makes use of
      > an automotive constant velocity joint fixed to a plate that's fixed
      > to the hull to allow the shaft to be raised out of the water. The
      > thrust bearing may have been "homebuilt".
      >

      > John Dolph
      >
      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dmede808" <dmede808@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Atkin specified a 10" prop with 6" pitch for the Victor Slocum.
      > >
      > > As you mentioned, RPMs are one of my big concerns. The small
      > diesel I found delivers
      > > 7.6hp at max 3600rpms and idles at 800rpms. Highest torque is
      > 13.5lbs.ft at 2000rpms.
      > > It delivers roughly 5hp at max torque 2000rpm. Probably higher RPM
      > range than the
      > > Palmer. The Palmer was rated at 6hp at 2500rpms.
      > >
      > > You can find PDF spec sheets of the motor I'm looking at here:
      > > http://www.hatz-diesel.de/englisch/produkt/1b20_e.htm
      > >

      > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdolph@s...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I don't know of any air cooled engines being made today that are
      > > > equivalent to motors like the Baby Husky Palmer. Those engines
      > had a
      > > > long stroke to cylinder diameter ratio that let them deliver more
      > > > torque at lower rpm's. You would need a reduction gear and
      > probably
      > > > need to buy a motor rated at a higher horsepower than Atkin
      > specified
      > > > and run it at near it's best torque instead of at it's highest
      > speed
      > > > in order to deliver the same power to Atkins specified
      > propeller. I
      > > > Have been looking at some Brazilian Yanmar diesels (water cooled)
      > at
      > > >
      > http://www.yanmar.com.br/site/ing2/produtos/nacional/bm/especificacoes
      > .
      > > > doc
      > > >
      > > > These will deliver the torque to turn your specified propeller
      > but I
      > > > imagine you will end up changing that propeller to one that fits
      > the
      > > > motor you finally settle on.
      > > >
      > > > Does anyone know all these facts for the Baby Husky and the prop

    • Lewis E. Gordon
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 8, 2005
        Intersting line of engines. I notice that the 1B40 model is available
        with a counter rotating balancing option which might be useful. Also,
        the axial load on the PTO shaft was given as 1200 newtons. If I
        converted correctly, this is 269.7 pounds. I cannot imagine the prop
        and shaft loading coming close to this figure, but I don't know how to
        caculate the force either. And, who would want to drive the prop at
        1:1 with direct hookup?

        The weights are extremely low and the allowable tilt angle is
        generous. The agriculture units I have looked at here in Nicaragua are
        much heavier. What is the availability and cost of these engines
        stateside?

        Lewis
        Still searching for a suitable boat to build here for Lake Nicaragua!

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dmede808" <dmede808@y...> wrote:

        > No problem Mike. I appreciate the help. I do know about the thrust
        bearing issue. There
        > is a load spec for the PTO bearing on the HATZ but I dont have any
        idea what the prop and
        > shaft thrust load will be, or how to calculate it.
        >
        > HATZ has several gearbox options for those motors and I may use one
        for gear reduction
        > and reverse gearing if possible. Hopefully that gearbox will be
        able to take the thrust load
        > but if not I'll have to rig an inline thrust bearing. Mcmaster Carr
        has pillow-block bearings
        > that may do the job.
      • dmede808
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 11, 2005
          Thanks for the shaft load conversion, thats good to know. I agree, 1:1 at those rpms is
          probably not ideal. They seem to be easy enough to get here in the US. Quite a few
          dealers including online (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/
          ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=347&R=347)

          They range between $1500 - $1900 I think.

          The issue I am running into is getting info on suitable gearboxes. HATZ lists several
          gearboxes in thier "additional equipment" PDF online but the main US dealer doesn't seem
          to now anything about them. Without a bolt on option for neutral, reverse and gear
          reduction I may not be able to use these motors. I am also concerned that the higher
          RPMs with the single cylinder will cause more vibration than the Palmer Baby Husky spec'd
          for this boat.

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Lewis E. Gordon" <l_gordon_nica@y...> wrote:

          > Intersting line of engines. I notice that the 1B40 model is available
          > with a counter rotating balancing option which might be useful. Also,
          > the axial load on the PTO shaft was given as 1200 newtons. If I
          > converted correctly, this is 269.7 pounds. I cannot imagine the prop
          > and shaft loading coming close to this figure, but I don't know how to
          > caculate the force either. And, who would want to drive the prop at
          > 1:1 with direct hookup?
          >
          > The weights are extremely low and the allowable tilt angle is
          > generous. The agriculture units I have looked at here in Nicaragua are
          > much heavier. What is the availability and cost of these engines
          > stateside?
          >
          > Lewis
          > Still searching for a suitable boat to build here for Lake Nicaragua!
          >
          > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dmede808" <dmede808@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > No problem Mike. I appreciate the help. I do know about the thrust
          > bearing issue. There
          > > is a load spec for the PTO bearing on the HATZ but I dont have any
          > idea what the prop and
          > > shaft thrust load will be, or how to calculate it.
          > >
          > > HATZ has several gearbox options for those motors and I may use one
          > for gear reduction
          > > and reverse gearing if possible. Hopefully that gearbox will be
          > able to take the thrust load
          > > but if not I'll have to rig an inline thrust bearing. Mcmaster Carr
          > has pillow-block bearings
          > > that may do the job.
        • Lewis E. Gordon
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 11, 2005
            Here is the link for ZF/Hurth marine transmission web site. Select
            transmissions/engine matching program/select brands for a list of
            supported manufactures. It is interesting that Hatz is not listed for
            any model. The prices shown on Northern Tool seem a little high. For
            that money you can get a Kubota like Mr. White has on his Rescue
            Minor. That is one good engine and 800 hours already? Wow!

            If you want to use a smaller industrial engine like the HATZ, you will
            have to do some improvising with a belt drive like Mr. White did. I'm
            sorry to hear that he no longer has a reverse gear. He's right that
            it's not used much, but still for the peace of mind.... (Who am I to
            talk? I'm missing a spring on my 30 HP Tohatsu and I don't have
            reverse now either.)

            Good luck!

            Lewis

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dmede808" <dmede808@y...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the shaft load conversion, thats good to know. I agree,
            1:1 at those rpms is
            > probably not ideal. They seem to be easy enough to get here in the
            US. Quite a few
            > dealers including online
            (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/
            > ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=347&R=347)
            >
            > They range between $1500 - $1900 I think.
            >
            > The issue I am running into is getting info on suitable gearboxes.
            HATZ lists several
            > gearboxes in thier "additional equipment" PDF online but the main US
            dealer doesn't seem
            > to now anything about them. Without a bolt on option for neutral,
            reverse and gear
            > reduction I may not be able to use these motors. I am also
            concerned that the higher
            > RPMs with the single cylinder will cause more vibration than the
            Palmer Baby Husky spec'd
            > for this boat.

          • Lewis E. Gordon
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 11, 2005
              I'm sorry! I forget the link:

              http://zf-marine.com/ZFR/index.cfm

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 12, 2005
                The Atkins specified a "two-bladed, Type E Columbian, 10 inches in diameter
                b 6 inches in pitch. The speed of the skiff should be a good 8 m.p.h." The
                Baby Huskie (BH) had a bore of 3 1/16" and a stroke of 3 1/2" for a
                displacement of 25 cu. in.

                On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 23:20:08 -0000, Mike D wrote:

                > Does anyone know all these facts for the Baby Husky and the prop
                > speced for the Victor Slocum?

                Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
                <Mark Twain>
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 12, 2005
                  You can easily "gear down" the Hatz with a belt or a chain between the
                  engine or gearbox and the prop shaft.

                  There's been some discussion about using air-cooled engine in boats over on
                  the Western Oregon Messabout group, where a friend of mine suggested using
                  an outboard lower unit as a reverse gear for a vertical-shaft engine. Lying
                  awake the other night I had a revelation -- why does the crankshaft of a
                  horizontal shaft engine, like your Hatz, have to be parallel with the
                  centerline? If you lay an outboard lower unit on its side, with the output
                  shaft coupled to the prop shaft and the input shaft lying athwartships,
                  mount the engine near it with it's shaft parallel with the lower unit's
                  input shaft, then hook them together with appropriate belts, pulley, chains,
                  sprockets or whatever, wouldn't it be a good, cheap way to get a reverse
                  gear? Or did I just have too much pizza before going to bed... <g>

                  On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 16:03:22 -0000, dmede808 wrote:
                  > As you mentioned, RPMs are one of my big concerns. The small diesel I
                  found delivers
                  > 7.6hp at max 3600rpms and idles at 800rpms. Highest torque is 13.5lbs.ft
                  at 2000rpms.
                  > It delivers roughly 5hp at max torque 2000rpm. Probably higher RPM range
                  than the
                  > Palmer. The Palmer was rated at 6hp at 2500rpms.

                  Correlation does not imply causation; except, of course, to your cat.
                  <Craig O'Donnell>
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 12, 2005
                    Take a cue from Robb and mount the engine on rubber. I think I'd make a
                    subframe that holds both the engine and gearbox, so you won't have any
                    problems with belt or chain tension -- and possible transmitted vibration,
                    then mount that subframe on rubber mounts. They sell expensive cushion
                    couplings for marine engines, but you can probably find something at your
                    local bearing store that will work fine between the gearbox and prop shaft
                    with a low-horsepower engine. The inboard end of the prop shaft would be
                    supported by a combination thrust/radial bearing, readily available at the
                    bearing house.

                    An air-cooled engine (especially a diesel!) is going to be noisier than the
                    Baby Huskie too. You might want to think about a soundproofed engine box
                    with air ducted to, and away, from the engine.

                    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 18:47:40 -0000, dmede808 (what's your name anyway?)
                    > I am also concerned that the higher
                    > RPMs with the single cylinder will cause more vibration than the Palmer
                    Baby Husky spec'd
                    > for this boat.

                    "Necessity is the mother of invention" is a silly proverb.
                    "Necessity is the mother of futile dodges" is much nearer the truth.
                    <Alfred North Whitehead>