Re: Small air cooled inboard motors

  • Mike Dolph
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 6, 2005
      Those are really interesting engines. I'm sorry to keep adding
      problems with no real ability t help but there is one more necessary
      component for a marine engine. You need a thrust bearing. This is
      the bearing that absorbs the push of the propeller that's
      transimitted up the shaft and transfers it to the hull usually via
      the engine body and engine mounts. The alternative is to have the
      shaft trying to spear through the engine.

      The marine engines have this designed into the reduction gear and the
      forces are taken into account if they will be transmitted via the
      engine block. This might be why we have "reduction/reverser" gears
      vs "transmissions" in other vehicles. It's a fundamentally different
      useage of the power. The United Nations FAO has a design for
      something like this they used in India and I suspect Robb White did
      something similar in his Rescue Minor. As I recall it makes use of
      an automotive constant velocity joint fixed to a plate that's fixed
      to the hull to allow the shaft to be raised out of the water. The
      thrust bearing may have been "homebuilt".

      John Dolph

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dmede808" <dmede808@y...> wrote:

      > Atkin specified a 10" prop with 6" pitch for the Victor Slocum.
      >
      > As you mentioned, RPMs are one of my big concerns. The small
      diesel I found delivers
      > 7.6hp at max 3600rpms and idles at 800rpms. Highest torque is
      13.5lbs.ft at 2000rpms.
      > It delivers roughly 5hp at max torque 2000rpm. Probably higher RPM
      range than the
      > Palmer. The Palmer was rated at 6hp at 2500rpms.
      >
      > You can find PDF spec sheets of the motor I'm looking at here:
      > http://www.hatz-diesel.de/englisch/produkt/1b20_e.htm
      >

      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdolph@s...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I don't know of any air cooled engines being made today that are
      > > equivalent to motors like the Baby Husky Palmer. Those engines
      had a
      > > long stroke to cylinder diameter ratio that let them deliver more
      > > torque at lower rpm's. You would need a reduction gear and
      probably
      > > need to buy a motor rated at a higher horsepower than Atkin
      specified
      > > and run it at near it's best torque instead of at it's highest
      speed
      > > in order to deliver the same power to Atkins specified
      propeller. I
      > > Have been looking at some Brazilian Yanmar diesels (water cooled)
      at

      http://www.yanmar.com.br/site/ing2/produtos/nacional/bm/especificacoes
      .
      > > doc
      > >
      > > These will deliver the torque to turn your specified propeller
      but I
      > > imagine you will end up changing that propeller to one that fits
      the
      > > motor you finally settle on.
      > >
      > > Does anyone know all these facts for the Baby Husky and the prop
      > > speced for the Victor Slocum?
      > >
      > > John Dolph
      > >
      > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dmede808" <dmede808@y...>
      wrote:

      > > > I am considering building the Victor Slocum, a 15' modified
      Jersey
      > > > skiff. The plans call for
      > > > a small (6hp) air cooled gas inboard. I'm considering a small
      air
      > > > cooled diesel from HATZ
      > > > instead but the hookup should be about the same.
      > > >
      > > > Anybody have any good reasources on how to install a small
      inboard in
      > > > an open boat like
      > > > the Victor Slocum?
      > > >
      > > > Anybody know of someone who has built the Victor Slocum?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks,
      > > > David
    • dmede808
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 6, 2005
        No problem Mike. I appreciate the help. I do know about the thrust bearing issue. There
        is a load spec for the PTO bearing on the HATZ but I dont have any idea what the prop and
        shaft thrust load will be, or how to calculate it.

        HATZ has several gearbox options for those motors and I may use one for gear reduction
        and reverse gearing if possible. Hopefully that gearbox will be able to take the thrust load
        but if not I'll have to rig an inline thrust bearing. Mcmaster Carr has pillow-block bearings
        that may do the job.

        http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/DisplCtlgPage.asp?
        ReqTyp=CATALOG&CtlgPgNbr=1026&CtlgEdition=&RelatedCtlgPgs=1026,1027,1028,102
        9,1030,1031,1032,957,967,969,972,973,1010&sesnextrep=432744623004951&ScreenW
        idth=1600&McMMainWidth=1003

      • Lewis E. Gordon
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 8, 2005
          Intersting line of engines. I notice that the 1B40 model is available
          with a counter rotating balancing option which might be useful. Also,
          the axial load on the PTO shaft was given as 1200 newtons. If I
          converted correctly, this is 269.7 pounds. I cannot imagine the prop
          and shaft loading coming close to this figure, but I don't know how to
          caculate the force either. And, who would want to drive the prop at
          1:1 with direct hookup?

          The weights are extremely low and the allowable tilt angle is
          generous. The agriculture units I have looked at here in Nicaragua are
          much heavier. What is the availability and cost of these engines
          stateside?

          Lewis
          Still searching for a suitable boat to build here for Lake Nicaragua!

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dmede808" <dmede808@y...> wrote:

          > No problem Mike. I appreciate the help. I do know about the thrust
          bearing issue. There
          > is a load spec for the PTO bearing on the HATZ but I dont have any
          idea what the prop and
          > shaft thrust load will be, or how to calculate it.
          >
          > HATZ has several gearbox options for those motors and I may use one
          for gear reduction
          > and reverse gearing if possible. Hopefully that gearbox will be
          able to take the thrust load
          > but if not I'll have to rig an inline thrust bearing. Mcmaster Carr
          has pillow-block bearings
          > that may do the job.
        • dmede808
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 11, 2005
            Thanks for the shaft load conversion, thats good to know. I agree, 1:1 at those rpms is
            probably not ideal. They seem to be easy enough to get here in the US. Quite a few
            dealers including online (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/
            ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=347&R=347)

            They range between $1500 - $1900 I think.

            The issue I am running into is getting info on suitable gearboxes. HATZ lists several
            gearboxes in thier "additional equipment" PDF online but the main US dealer doesn't seem
            to now anything about them. Without a bolt on option for neutral, reverse and gear
            reduction I may not be able to use these motors. I am also concerned that the higher
            RPMs with the single cylinder will cause more vibration than the Palmer Baby Husky spec'd
            for this boat.

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Lewis E. Gordon" <l_gordon_nica@y...> wrote:

            > Intersting line of engines. I notice that the 1B40 model is available
            > with a counter rotating balancing option which might be useful. Also,
            > the axial load on the PTO shaft was given as 1200 newtons. If I
            > converted correctly, this is 269.7 pounds. I cannot imagine the prop
            > and shaft loading coming close to this figure, but I don't know how to
            > caculate the force either. And, who would want to drive the prop at
            > 1:1 with direct hookup?
            >
            > The weights are extremely low and the allowable tilt angle is
            > generous. The agriculture units I have looked at here in Nicaragua are
            > much heavier. What is the availability and cost of these engines
            > stateside?
            >
            > Lewis
            > Still searching for a suitable boat to build here for Lake Nicaragua!
            >
            > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dmede808" <dmede808@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > No problem Mike. I appreciate the help. I do know about the thrust
            > bearing issue. There
            > > is a load spec for the PTO bearing on the HATZ but I dont have any
            > idea what the prop and
            > > shaft thrust load will be, or how to calculate it.
            > >
            > > HATZ has several gearbox options for those motors and I may use one
            > for gear reduction
            > > and reverse gearing if possible. Hopefully that gearbox will be
            > able to take the thrust load
            > > but if not I'll have to rig an inline thrust bearing. Mcmaster Carr
            > has pillow-block bearings
            > > that may do the job.
          • Lewis E. Gordon
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 11, 2005
              Here is the link for ZF/Hurth marine transmission web site. Select
              transmissions/engine matching program/select brands for a list of
              supported manufactures. It is interesting that Hatz is not listed for
              any model. The prices shown on Northern Tool seem a little high. For
              that money you can get a Kubota like Mr. White has on his Rescue
              Minor. That is one good engine and 800 hours already? Wow!

              If you want to use a smaller industrial engine like the HATZ, you will
              have to do some improvising with a belt drive like Mr. White did. I'm
              sorry to hear that he no longer has a reverse gear. He's right that
              it's not used much, but still for the peace of mind.... (Who am I to
              talk? I'm missing a spring on my 30 HP Tohatsu and I don't have
              reverse now either.)

              Good luck!

              Lewis

              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dmede808" <dmede808@y...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the shaft load conversion, thats good to know. I agree,
              1:1 at those rpms is
              > probably not ideal. They seem to be easy enough to get here in the
              US. Quite a few
              > dealers including online
              (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/
              > ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=347&R=347)
              >
              > They range between $1500 - $1900 I think.
              >
              > The issue I am running into is getting info on suitable gearboxes.
              HATZ lists several
              > gearboxes in thier "additional equipment" PDF online but the main US
              dealer doesn't seem
              > to now anything about them. Without a bolt on option for neutral,
              reverse and gear
              > reduction I may not be able to use these motors. I am also
              concerned that the higher
              > RPMs with the single cylinder will cause more vibration than the
              Palmer Baby Husky spec'd
              > for this boat.

            • Lewis E. Gordon
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 11, 2005
                I'm sorry! I forget the link:

                http://zf-marine.com/ZFR/index.cfm

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 12, 2005
                  The Atkins specified a "two-bladed, Type E Columbian, 10 inches in diameter
                  b 6 inches in pitch. The speed of the skiff should be a good 8 m.p.h." The
                  Baby Huskie (BH) had a bore of 3 1/16" and a stroke of 3 1/2" for a
                  displacement of 25 cu. in.

                  On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 23:20:08 -0000, Mike D wrote:

                  > Does anyone know all these facts for the Baby Husky and the prop
                  > speced for the Victor Slocum?

                  Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
                  <Mark Twain>
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 12, 2005
                    You can easily "gear down" the Hatz with a belt or a chain between the
                    engine or gearbox and the prop shaft.

                    There's been some discussion about using air-cooled engine in boats over on
                    the Western Oregon Messabout group, where a friend of mine suggested using
                    an outboard lower unit as a reverse gear for a vertical-shaft engine. Lying
                    awake the other night I had a revelation -- why does the crankshaft of a
                    horizontal shaft engine, like your Hatz, have to be parallel with the
                    centerline? If you lay an outboard lower unit on its side, with the output
                    shaft coupled to the prop shaft and the input shaft lying athwartships,
                    mount the engine near it with it's shaft parallel with the lower unit's
                    input shaft, then hook them together with appropriate belts, pulley, chains,
                    sprockets or whatever, wouldn't it be a good, cheap way to get a reverse
                    gear? Or did I just have too much pizza before going to bed... <g>

                    On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 16:03:22 -0000, dmede808 wrote:
                    > As you mentioned, RPMs are one of my big concerns. The small diesel I
                    found delivers
                    > 7.6hp at max 3600rpms and idles at 800rpms. Highest torque is 13.5lbs.ft
                    at 2000rpms.
                    > It delivers roughly 5hp at max torque 2000rpm. Probably higher RPM range
                    than the
                    > Palmer. The Palmer was rated at 6hp at 2500rpms.

                    Correlation does not imply causation; except, of course, to your cat.
                    <Craig O'Donnell>
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 12, 2005
                      Take a cue from Robb and mount the engine on rubber. I think I'd make a
                      subframe that holds both the engine and gearbox, so you won't have any
                      problems with belt or chain tension -- and possible transmitted vibration,
                      then mount that subframe on rubber mounts. They sell expensive cushion
                      couplings for marine engines, but you can probably find something at your
                      local bearing store that will work fine between the gearbox and prop shaft
                      with a low-horsepower engine. The inboard end of the prop shaft would be
                      supported by a combination thrust/radial bearing, readily available at the
                      bearing house.

                      An air-cooled engine (especially a diesel!) is going to be noisier than the
                      Baby Huskie too. You might want to think about a soundproofed engine box
                      with air ducted to, and away, from the engine.

                      On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 18:47:40 -0000, dmede808 (what's your name anyway?)
                      > I am also concerned that the higher
                      > RPMs with the single cylinder will cause more vibration than the Palmer
                      Baby Husky spec'd
                      > for this boat.

                      "Necessity is the mother of invention" is a silly proverb.
                      "Necessity is the mother of futile dodges" is much nearer the truth.
                      <Alfred North Whitehead>