Re: Building the Rescue Minor

  • Sal's Dad
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 5, 2005
      I too am considering building Rescue Minor, but of aluminum. Probably not
      this year.

      For more information, I strongly recommend contacting Robb White
      (bingey@...), who built a strip-plank gold-plate modified version.
      Robb has been writing about this boat for a number of years, in Messing
      About in Boats (an otherwise reputable publication ;-) These articles, I
      believe, provide the authoritative text on Rescue Minor, but it may take
      some doing to assemble all the pieces.

      As to engine, Robb recommends the 20hp Kubota; he uses a belt drive, which
      sounds like a good idea, but I know nothing about such matters.

      I am not aware of anyone who has built the boat as designed, of sheet
      material.

      Please keep us all informed of your project,

      Curtis Betts

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 12, 2005
        Yes, lofting is required. Rescue Minor is built the old-fashioned way on a
        strongback. A fellow who'd posted here built a large-scale model of Rescue
        Minor (how's the full-size one coming Richie?) and reported trouble twisting
        the bilge panels into place at the bow. He resorted to batten-seam
        construction there. The plans call for 3/4" plywood planking, which is
        probably overkill.

        A Universal Atomic Four would probably be the easiest suitable used engine
        to find. Lots of perfectly good ones have been pulled out of sailboats and
        replaced with diesels by owners afraid of gasoline. Try to find one with a
        straight through gearbox, no reduction. Here are some good Atomic Four
        links:

        http://www3.telus.net/Atomic_4_Eng_Service/

        http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/MechanicalPropulsion/Atomic4/

        http://www.moyermarine.com/

        On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 19:12:12 -0000, Al wrote:

        > Before I move forward to purchasing the plans for the Rescue Minor I
        > would be glad to hear from anyone who has already built it or a
        > similar boat.
        > Is ther lofting required? Any particular problems with the build
        > cycle etc.
        >
        > I would prefer to buy a used engine. Any sources for engines with
        > transmission that may or may not need rebuiid .

        Eels are said to kelter in the water when they wamble.