Small air cooled inboard motors

  • dmede808
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 4, 2005
      I am considering building the Victor Slocum, a 15' modified Jersey
      skiff. The plans call for
      a small (6hp) air cooled gas inboard. I'm considering a small air
      cooled diesel from HATZ
      instead but the hookup should be about the same.

      Anybody have any good reasources on how to install a small inboard in
      an open boat like
      the Victor Slocum?

      Anybody know of someone who has built the Victor Slocum?

      Thanks,
      David
    • Mike Dolph
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 5, 2005
        I don't know of any air cooled engines being made today that are
        equivalent to motors like the Baby Husky Palmer. Those engines had a
        long stroke to cylinder diameter ratio that let them deliver more
        torque at lower rpm's. You would need a reduction gear and probably
        need to buy a motor rated at a higher horsepower than Atkin specified
        and run it at near it's best torque instead of at it's highest speed
        in order to deliver the same power to Atkins specified propeller. I
        Have been looking at some Brazilian Yanmar diesels (water cooled) at
        http://www.yanmar.com.br/site/ing2/produtos/nacional/bm/especificacoes.
        doc

        These will deliver the torque to turn your specified propeller but I
        imagine you will end up changing that propeller to one that fits the
        motor you finally settle on.

        Does anyone know all these facts for the Baby Husky and the prop
        speced for the Victor Slocum?

        John Dolph

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dmede808" <dmede808@y...> wrote:

        > I am considering building the Victor Slocum, a 15' modified Jersey
        > skiff. The plans call for
        > a small (6hp) air cooled gas inboard. I'm considering a small air
        > cooled diesel from HATZ
        > instead but the hookup should be about the same.
        >
        > Anybody have any good reasources on how to install a small inboard in
        > an open boat like
        > the Victor Slocum?
        >
        > Anybody know of someone who has built the Victor Slocum?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > David
      • dmede808
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 6, 2005
          Atkin specified a 10" prop with 6" pitch for the Victor Slocum.

          As you mentioned, RPMs are one of my big concerns. The small diesel I found delivers
          7.6hp at max 3600rpms and idles at 800rpms. Highest torque is 13.5lbs.ft at 2000rpms.
          It delivers roughly 5hp at max torque 2000rpm. Probably higher RPM range than the
          Palmer. The Palmer was rated at 6hp at 2500rpms.

          You can find PDF spec sheets of the motor I'm looking at here:
          http://www.hatz-diesel.de/englisch/produkt/1b20_e.htm

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdolph@s...> wrote:

          > I don't know of any air cooled engines being made today that are
          > equivalent to motors like the Baby Husky Palmer. Those engines had a
          > long stroke to cylinder diameter ratio that let them deliver more
          > torque at lower rpm's. You would need a reduction gear and probably
          > need to buy a motor rated at a higher horsepower than Atkin specified
          > and run it at near it's best torque instead of at it's highest speed
          > in order to deliver the same power to Atkins specified propeller. I
          > Have been looking at some Brazilian Yanmar diesels (water cooled) at
          > http://www.yanmar.com.br/site/ing2/produtos/nacional/bm/especificacoes.
          > doc
          >
          > These will deliver the torque to turn your specified propeller but I
          > imagine you will end up changing that propeller to one that fits the
          > motor you finally settle on.
          >
          > Does anyone know all these facts for the Baby Husky and the prop
          > speced for the Victor Slocum?
          >
          > John Dolph
          >
          > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dmede808" <dmede808@y...> wrote:
          > >

          > > I am considering building the Victor Slocum, a 15' modified Jersey
          > > skiff. The plans call for
          > > a small (6hp) air cooled gas inboard. I'm considering a small air
          > > cooled diesel from HATZ
          > > instead but the hookup should be about the same.
          > >
          > > Anybody have any good reasources on how to install a small inboard in
          > > an open boat like
          > > the Victor Slocum?
          > >
          > > Anybody know of someone who has built the Victor Slocum?
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > David
        • Mike Dolph
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 6, 2005
            Those are really interesting engines. I'm sorry to keep adding
            problems with no real ability t help but there is one more necessary
            component for a marine engine. You need a thrust bearing. This is
            the bearing that absorbs the push of the propeller that's
            transimitted up the shaft and transfers it to the hull usually via
            the engine body and engine mounts. The alternative is to have the
            shaft trying to spear through the engine.

            The marine engines have this designed into the reduction gear and the
            forces are taken into account if they will be transmitted via the
            engine block. This might be why we have "reduction/reverser" gears
            vs "transmissions" in other vehicles. It's a fundamentally different
            useage of the power. The United Nations FAO has a design for
            something like this they used in India and I suspect Robb White did
            something similar in his Rescue Minor. As I recall it makes use of
            an automotive constant velocity joint fixed to a plate that's fixed
            to the hull to allow the shaft to be raised out of the water. The
            thrust bearing may have been "homebuilt".

            .
            > > doc
            > >
            > > These will deliver the torque to turn your specified propeller
            but I
            > > imagine you will end up changing that propeller to one that fits
            the
            > > motor you finally settle on.
            > >
            > > Does anyone know all these facts for the Baby Husky and the prop
            > > speced for the Victor Slocum?
            > >
            > > John Dolph
            > >
            > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dmede808" <dmede808@y...>
            wrote:

            > > > I am considering building the Victor Slocum, a 15' modified
            Jersey
            > > > skiff. The plans call for
            > > > a small (6hp) air cooled gas inboard. I'm considering a small
            air
            > > > cooled diesel from HATZ
            > > > instead but the hookup should be about the same.
            > > >
            > > > Anybody have any good reasources on how to install a small
            inboard in
            > > > an open boat like
            > > > the Victor Slocum?
            > > >
            > > > Anybody know of someone who has built the Victor Slocum?
            > > >
            > > > Thanks,
            > > > David
          • dmede808
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 6, 2005
              No problem Mike. I appreciate the help. I do know about the thrust bearing issue. There
              is a load spec for the PTO bearing on the HATZ but I dont have any idea what the prop and
              shaft thrust load will be, or how to calculate it.

              HATZ has several gearbox options for those motors and I may use one for gear reduction
              and reverse gearing if possible. Hopefully that gearbox will be able to take the thrust load
              but if not I'll have to rig an inline thrust bearing. Mcmaster Carr has pillow-block bearings
              that may do the job.

              http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/DisplCtlgPage.asp?
              ReqTyp=CATALOG&CtlgPgNbr=1026&CtlgEdition=&RelatedCtlgPgs=1026,1027,1028,102
              9,1030,1031,1032,957,967,969,972,973,1010&sesnextrep=432744623004951&ScreenW
              idth=1600&McMMainWidth=1003

            • Lewis E. Gordon
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 8, 2005
                Intersting line of engines. I notice that the 1B40 model is available
                with a counter rotating balancing option which might be useful. Also,
                the axial load on the PTO shaft was given as 1200 newtons. If I
                converted correctly, this is 269.7 pounds. I cannot imagine the prop
                and shaft loading coming close to this figure, but I don't know how to
                caculate the force either. And, who would want to drive the prop at
                1:1 with direct hookup?

                The weights are extremely low and the allowable tilt angle is
                generous. The agriculture units I have looked at here in Nicaragua are
                much heavier. What is the availability and cost of these engines
                stateside?

                Lewis
                Still searching for a suitable boat to build here for Lake Nicaragua!

                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dmede808" <dmede808@y...> wrote:

                > No problem Mike. I appreciate the help. I do know about the thrust
                bearing issue. There
                > is a load spec for the PTO bearing on the HATZ but I dont have any
                idea what the prop and
                > shaft thrust load will be, or how to calculate it.
                >
                > HATZ has several gearbox options for those motors and I may use one
                for gear reduction
                > and reverse gearing if possible. Hopefully that gearbox will be
                able to take the thrust load
                > but if not I'll have to rig an inline thrust bearing. Mcmaster Carr
                has pillow-block bearings
                > that may do the job.
              • dmede808
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 11, 2005
                  Thanks for the shaft load conversion, thats good to know. I agree, 1:1 at those rpms is
                  probably not ideal. They seem to be easy enough to get here in the US. Quite a few
                  dealers including online (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/
                  ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=347&R=347)

                  They range between $1500 - $1900 I think.

                  The issue I am running into is getting info on suitable gearboxes. HATZ lists several
                  gearboxes in thier "additional equipment" PDF online but the main US dealer doesn't seem
                  to now anything about them. Without a bolt on option for neutral, reverse and gear
                  reduction I may not be able to use these motors. I am also concerned that the higher
                  RPMs with the single cylinder will cause more vibration than the Palmer Baby Husky spec'd
                  for this boat.

                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Lewis E. Gordon" <l_gordon_nica@y...> wrote:

                  > Intersting line of engines. I notice that the 1B40 model is available
                  > with a counter rotating balancing option which might be useful. Also,
                  > the axial load on the PTO shaft was given as 1200 newtons. If I
                  > converted correctly, this is 269.7 pounds. I cannot imagine the prop
                  > and shaft loading coming close to this figure, but I don't know how to
                  > caculate the force either. And, who would want to drive the prop at
                  > 1:1 with direct hookup?
                  >
                  > The weights are extremely low and the allowable tilt angle is
                  > generous. The agriculture units I have looked at here in Nicaragua are
                  > much heavier. What is the availability and cost of these engines
                  > stateside?
                  >
                  > Lewis
                  > Still searching for a suitable boat to build here for Lake Nicaragua!
                  >
                  > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dmede808" <dmede808@y...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > No problem Mike. I appreciate the help. I do know about the thrust
                  > bearing issue. There
                  > > is a load spec for the PTO bearing on the HATZ but I dont have any
                  > idea what the prop and
                  > > shaft thrust load will be, or how to calculate it.
                  > >
                  > > HATZ has several gearbox options for those motors and I may use one
                  > for gear reduction
                  > > and reverse gearing if possible. Hopefully that gearbox will be
                  > able to take the thrust load
                  > > but if not I'll have to rig an inline thrust bearing. Mcmaster Carr
                  > has pillow-block bearings
                  > > that may do the job.
                • Lewis E. Gordon
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 11, 2005
                    Here is the link for ZF/Hurth marine transmission web site. Select
                    transmissions/engine matching program/select brands for a list of
                    supported manufactures. It is interesting that Hatz is not listed for
                    any model. The prices shown on Northern Tool seem a little high. For
                    that money you can get a Kubota like Mr. White has on his Rescue
                    Minor. That is one good engine and 800 hours already? Wow!

                    If you want to use a smaller industrial engine like the HATZ, you will
                    have to do some improvising with a belt drive like Mr. White did. I'm
                    sorry to hear that he no longer has a reverse gear. He's right that
                    it's not used much, but still for the peace of mind.... (Who am I to
                    talk? I'm missing a spring on my 30 HP Tohatsu and I don't have
                    reverse now either.)

                    Good luck!

                    Lewis

                    --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dmede808" <dmede808@y...> wrote:

                    > Thanks for the shaft load conversion, thats good to know. I agree,
                    1:1 at those rpms is
                    > probably not ideal. They seem to be easy enough to get here in the
                    US. Quite a few
                    > dealers including online
                    (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/
                    > ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=347&R=347)
                    >
                    > They range between $1500 - $1900 I think.
                    >
                    > The issue I am running into is getting info on suitable gearboxes.
                    HATZ lists several
                    > gearboxes in thier "additional equipment" PDF online but the main US
                    dealer doesn't seem
                    > to now anything about them. Without a bolt on option for neutral,
                    reverse and gear
                    > reduction I may not be able to use these motors. I am also
                    concerned that the higher
                    > RPMs with the single cylinder will cause more vibration than the
                    Palmer Baby Husky spec'd
                    > for this boat.

                  • Lewis E. Gordon
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 11, 2005
                      I'm sorry! I forget the link:

                      http://zf-marine.com/ZFR/index.cfm

                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 12, 2005
                        The Atkins specified a "two-bladed, Type E Columbian, 10 inches in diameter
                        b 6 inches in pitch. The speed of the skiff should be a good 8 m.p.h." The
                        Baby Huskie (BH) had a bore of 3 1/16" and a stroke of 3 1/2" for a
                        displacement of 25 cu. in.

                        On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 23:20:08 -0000, Mike D wrote:

                        > Does anyone know all these facts for the Baby Husky and the prop
                        > speced for the Victor Slocum?

                        Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
                        <Mark Twain>
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 12, 2005
                          You can easily "gear down" the Hatz with a belt or a chain between the
                          engine or gearbox and the prop shaft.

                          There's been some discussion about using air-cooled engine in boats over on
                          the Western Oregon Messabout group, where a friend of mine suggested using
                          an outboard lower unit as a reverse gear for a vertical-shaft engine. Lying
                          awake the other night I had a revelation -- why does the crankshaft of a
                          horizontal shaft engine, like your Hatz, have to be parallel with the
                          centerline? If you lay an outboard lower unit on its side, with the output
                          shaft coupled to the prop shaft and the input shaft lying athwartships,
                          mount the engine near it with it's shaft parallel with the lower unit's
                          input shaft, then hook them together with appropriate belts, pulley, chains,
                          sprockets or whatever, wouldn't it be a good, cheap way to get a reverse
                          gear? Or did I just have too much pizza before going to bed... <g>

                          On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 16:03:22 -0000, dmede808 wrote:
                          > As you mentioned, RPMs are one of my big concerns. The small diesel I
                          found delivers
                          > 7.6hp at max 3600rpms and idles at 800rpms. Highest torque is 13.5lbs.ft
                          at 2000rpms.
                          > It delivers roughly 5hp at max torque 2000rpm. Probably higher RPM range
                          than the
                          > Palmer. The Palmer was rated at 6hp at 2500rpms.

                          Correlation does not imply causation; except, of course, to your cat.
                          <Craig O'Donnell>
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 12, 2005
                            Take a cue from Robb and mount the engine on rubber. I think I'd make a
                            subframe that holds both the engine and gearbox, so you won't have any
                            problems with belt or chain tension -- and possible transmitted vibration,
                            then mount that subframe on rubber mounts. They sell expensive cushion
                            couplings for marine engines, but you can probably find something at your
                            local bearing store that will work fine between the gearbox and prop shaft
                            with a low-horsepower engine. The inboard end of the prop shaft would be
                            supported by a combination thrust/radial bearing, readily available at the
                            bearing house.

                            An air-cooled engine (especially a diesel!) is going to be noisier than the
                            Baby Huskie too. You might want to think about a soundproofed engine box
                            with air ducted to, and away, from the engine.

                            On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 18:47:40 -0000, dmede808 (what's your name anyway?)
                            > I am also concerned that the higher
                            > RPMs with the single cylinder will cause more vibration than the Palmer
                            Baby Husky spec'd
                            > for this boat.

                            "Necessity is the mother of invention" is a silly proverb.
                            "Necessity is the mother of futile dodges" is much nearer the truth.
                            <Alfred North Whitehead>