Building the Rescue Minor

  • al_deforest
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2005
      Before I move forward to purchasing the plans for the Rescue Minor I
      would be glad to hear from anyone who has already built it or a
      similar boat.
      Is ther lofting required? Any particular problems with the build
      cycle etc.

      I would prefer to buy a used engine. Any sources for engines with
      transmission that may or may not need rebuiid .

      I would consider myself an advanced amateur woodwoorker and with
      enough background to rebuild an engine (diesel electric mschanic in
      Air Force long ago.

      Thanks in advance
      Al
    • u23b_2311
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 2005
        Al

        Here is a link to a rescue minor builder

        http://www.robbwhite.com/rescue.minor.html

        eric

        - In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "al_deforest" <al_deforest@y...> wrote:

        > Before I move forward to purchasing the plans for the Rescue Minor I
        > would be glad to hear from anyone who has already built it or a
        > similar boat.
        > Is ther lofting required? Any particular problems with the build
        > cycle etc.
        >
        > I would prefer to buy a used engine. Any sources for engines with
        > transmission that may or may not need rebuiid .
        >
        > I would consider myself an advanced amateur woodwoorker and with
        > enough background to rebuild an engine (diesel electric mschanic in
        > Air Force long ago.
        >
        > Thanks in advance
        > Al
      • Sal's Dad
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 5, 2005
          I too am considering building Rescue Minor, but of aluminum. Probably not
          this year.

          For more information, I strongly recommend contacting Robb White
          (bingey@...), who built a strip-plank gold-plate modified version.
          Robb has been writing about this boat for a number of years, in Messing
          About in Boats (an otherwise reputable publication ;-) These articles, I
          believe, provide the authoritative text on Rescue Minor, but it may take
          some doing to assemble all the pieces.

          As to engine, Robb recommends the 20hp Kubota; he uses a belt drive, which
          sounds like a good idea, but I know nothing about such matters.

          I am not aware of anyone who has built the boat as designed, of sheet
          material.

          Please keep us all informed of your project,

          Curtis Betts

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 12, 2005
            Yes, lofting is required. Rescue Minor is built the old-fashioned way on a
            strongback. A fellow who'd posted here built a large-scale model of Rescue
            Minor (how's the full-size one coming Richie?) and reported trouble twisting
            the bilge panels into place at the bow. He resorted to batten-seam
            construction there. The plans call for 3/4" plywood planking, which is
            probably overkill.

            A Universal Atomic Four would probably be the easiest suitable used engine
            to find. Lots of perfectly good ones have been pulled out of sailboats and
            replaced with diesels by owners afraid of gasoline. Try to find one with a
            straight through gearbox, no reduction. Here are some good Atomic Four
            links:

            http://www3.telus.net/Atomic_4_Eng_Service/

            http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/MechanicalPropulsion/Atomic4/

            http://www.moyermarine.com/

            On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 19:12:12 -0000, Al wrote:

            > Before I move forward to purchasing the plans for the Rescue Minor I
            > would be glad to hear from anyone who has already built it or a
            > similar boat.
            > Is ther lofting required? Any particular problems with the build
            > cycle etc.
            >
            > I would prefer to buy a used engine. Any sources for engines with
            > transmission that may or may not need rebuiid .

            Eels are said to kelter in the water when they wamble.