Re: "Levee Belle" Atkin Sternwheeler

  • woodcraftssuch
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 28, 2005
      > And here is the blurb and drawing from Boats Toady:

      > On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:27:07 -0800 (PST), Lon wrote:
      > >
      > > The only published sketch of LEVEE BELLE that I know of is in
      Boats Today
      > published by Universal Motor Co. 1960
      Thanks Lon and John,
      The enlarged image on the comp. screen scales up almost exactly to
      the 1/4 scale and I see by that the waterline beam is just a little
      over 9'. The draft, at 9'10" seems a bit much though. :o) I'm going
      to be in Winona over the 4th of July and will try and see if 'Wayne
      Smith' is still around and get some feedback on the boat. I used to
      sandblast houseboats at the marina there in the '70's and did a
      sternwheeler once, but I believe it was bigger than the Levee Belle.
      It was my first close up look at a smaller, personal type
      sternwheeler, and I was amazed at #1, that one even existed and #2,
      that it was such a practical, utilitarian looking thing. The engine
      room was encased in sashed windows, the engine was a flathead 6
      cylinder with manual transmission sitting transversely with a small
      sprocket on the transmission and a big chain going to a bigger
      sprocket on the wheel. Rod linkage ran to the throttle and also to
      the transmission and clutch, I suppose it used rev. and nuet. and
      maybe 1st or 2nd gear or maybe both. I don't remember a radiator so I
      guess it just used river water for cooling. There were bench seats on
      the sides and forward of the engine with hinged tops for storage. The
      engine and mechanicals were painted a light cream color and the rest
      of the room a light yellow and everything was clean like a country
      kitchen. I've liked sternwheelers ever since then. Sam