Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: "Levee Belle" Atkin Sternwheeler

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 27, 2005
      And here is the blurb and drawing from Boats Toady:

      She'll be in the Atkin catalog soon (price $150), and I just put her into
      the price list:

      http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/AtkinPriceList.pdf

      On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:27:07 -0800 (PST), Lon wrote:

      > The only published sketch of LEVEE BELLE that I know of is in Boats Today
      published by Universal Motor Co. 1960

      Correlation does not imply causation; except, of course, to your cat.
      <Craig O'Donnell>
    • woodcraftssuch
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 28, 2005
        > And here is the blurb and drawing from Boats Toady:

        > On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:27:07 -0800 (PST), Lon wrote:
        > >
        > > The only published sketch of LEVEE BELLE that I know of is in
        Boats Today
        > published by Universal Motor Co. 1960
        Thanks Lon and John,
        The enlarged image on the comp. screen scales up almost exactly to
        the 1/4 scale and I see by that the waterline beam is just a little
        over 9'. The draft, at 9'10" seems a bit much though. :o) I'm going
        to be in Winona over the 4th of July and will try and see if 'Wayne
        Smith' is still around and get some feedback on the boat. I used to
        sandblast houseboats at the marina there in the '70's and did a
        sternwheeler once, but I believe it was bigger than the Levee Belle.
        It was my first close up look at a smaller, personal type
        sternwheeler, and I was amazed at #1, that one even existed and #2,
        that it was such a practical, utilitarian looking thing. The engine
        room was encased in sashed windows, the engine was a flathead 6
        cylinder with manual transmission sitting transversely with a small
        sprocket on the transmission and a big chain going to a bigger
        sprocket on the wheel. Rod linkage ran to the throttle and also to
        the transmission and clutch, I suppose it used rev. and nuet. and
        maybe 1st or 2nd gear or maybe both. I don't remember a radiator so I
        guess it just used river water for cooling. There were bench seats on
        the sides and forward of the engine with hinged tops for storage. The
        engine and mechanicals were painted a light cream color and the rest
        of the room a light yellow and everything was clean like a country
        kitchen. I've liked sternwheelers ever since then. Sam