"Levee Belle" Atkin Sternwheeler

  • lon wells
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 18, 2005
      I came across LEVEE BELLE in Volume III of "Boats Today" 175 Boat Designs Published by Universal Motor Company 1960. She has a steel hull. The deckhouse and pilot house are wood. She steers from either pilot house or cabin. This is a cute little traditional refined scow sternwheeler with a second deck pilot house, LOA 25' 6" Beam 11'8" . My guess is the boat would have less than a 9" draft. The boat has a full galley and head and the second deck railing adds so much more outside room.

      I contacted Pat Atkin and plans are available, so I sent off my payment today
      Lon.

    • woodcraftssuch
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 23, 2005
        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, lon wells <lononriver@y...> wrote:
        > I came across LEVEE BELLE in Volume III of "Boats Today" 175 Boat
        Designs Published by Universal Motor Company 1960. She has a steel
        hull. The deckhouse and pilot house are wood. She steers from either
        pilot house or cabin. This is a cute little traditional refined
        scow sternwheeler with a second deck pilot house, LOA 25' 6" Beam
        11'8" . My guess is the boat would have less than a 9" draft. The
        boat has a full galley and head and the second deck railing adds so
        much more outside room.

        > I contacted Pat Atkin and plans are available, so I sent off my
        payment today

        Lon.

        Where can a person see what this looks like? It sort of goes against
        the 4 to 1 length to width ratio that Sternwheel Harbor guy
        advocates. Sam
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 23, 2005
          Perhaps Lon can scan some imges from the article for us (please <g>). I'll
          be putting Levee Belle into the Atkin catalog, but it may take a while to
          get the info I need from Pat...

          On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 20:38:55 -0000, Sam wrote:

          > Where can a person see what this looks like? It sort of goes against
          > the 4 to 1 length to width ratio that Sternwheel Harbor guy
          > advocates. Sam

          A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought.
          <Lord Peter Wimsey>
        • lon wells
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 23, 2005
            The only published sketch of LEVEE BELLE that I know of is in Boats Today published by Universal Motor Co. 1960 there are four copies at Abe books for 7 to 10 dollars. It was also published in Motor Boating Mag. but I do not know what issue.. The Boats Today Book also has a interesting 34 foot Gundalow by Howard Chapelle.

            I agree the length to beam ratio is not that of the large Sternwheelers it is important to remember, form follows function. While a high length to beam can result in better hull speed it also can produce (with the right hull design) a narrow shallow draft boat that could carry cargo and would work well on rivers.
            The LEVEE BELLE does not need to carry cargo and her 8 MPH speed with a 25 HP motor is adequate for a slow comfortable recreation boat. The length to beam ratio is about that of most small scows. The beam is needed to safely allow both of the side walkways and the second deck pilot house and still maintain comfort.

            I did get a email today from Mrs Atkin that my plans are in the mail. I have suggested to Mrs Atkin that LEVEE BELLE be included in the on line listings I do not know if that will happen maybe John knows. I would mail you a copy of the sketch if you email me off group with your address. The plans sell for $150.00 the same as any of the Atkin Sternwheeler plans which is a good deal. (These are proven plans, the first boat was first built in Minnesota) These plans are for a steel hull vessel that should outlast any of us.
            Lon

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 27, 2005
              And here is the blurb and drawing from Boats Toady:

              She'll be in the Atkin catalog soon (price $150), and I just put her into
              the price list:

              http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/AtkinPriceList.pdf

              On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:27:07 -0800 (PST), Lon wrote:

              > The only published sketch of LEVEE BELLE that I know of is in Boats Today
              published by Universal Motor Co. 1960

              Correlation does not imply causation; except, of course, to your cat.
              <Craig O'Donnell>
            • woodcraftssuch
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 28, 2005
                > And here is the blurb and drawing from Boats Toady:

                > On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:27:07 -0800 (PST), Lon wrote:
                > >
                > > The only published sketch of LEVEE BELLE that I know of is in
                Boats Today
                > published by Universal Motor Co. 1960
                Thanks Lon and John,
                The enlarged image on the comp. screen scales up almost exactly to
                the 1/4 scale and I see by that the waterline beam is just a little
                over 9'. The draft, at 9'10" seems a bit much though. :o) I'm going
                to be in Winona over the 4th of July and will try and see if 'Wayne
                Smith' is still around and get some feedback on the boat. I used to
                sandblast houseboats at the marina there in the '70's and did a
                sternwheeler once, but I believe it was bigger than the Levee Belle.
                It was my first close up look at a smaller, personal type
                sternwheeler, and I was amazed at #1, that one even existed and #2,
                that it was such a practical, utilitarian looking thing. The engine
                room was encased in sashed windows, the engine was a flathead 6
                cylinder with manual transmission sitting transversely with a small
                sprocket on the transmission and a big chain going to a bigger
                sprocket on the wheel. Rod linkage ran to the throttle and also to
                the transmission and clutch, I suppose it used rev. and nuet. and
                maybe 1st or 2nd gear or maybe both. I don't remember a radiator so I
                guess it just used river water for cooling. There were bench seats on
                the sides and forward of the engine with hinged tops for storage. The
                engine and mechanicals were painted a light cream color and the rest
                of the room a light yellow and everything was clean like a country
                kitchen. I've liked sternwheelers ever since then. Sam