Re: [AtkinBoats] Gretchen-Particulars

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 17, 2005
      Gretchen was stretched two feet to give room for an inboard auxiliary.
      There's extra storage on each side of the engine too, which is always nice
      in a small boat. Notice that Helga and Gretchen share the same 6' beam.
      Helga and Gretchen are designed for lapstrake construction, so it would be
      little trouble to use plywood planks and glue those laps and make the boats
      more fit for trailering. If you wanted to eliminate some of the framing, as
      in modern glued lapstrake designs, I'd recommend getting some advice from a
      designer familiar with that construction.

      Red Onion's gaff rig could go on Wild Onion with little trouble.

      On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 04:36:39 -0000, Wayne wrote:

      > I was searching the archives for the Onions and Gretchen and ran
      > across the above. Do you have any more information beyond what is
      > mentioned on the Atkin web site? Specifially, how much internal
      > ballast? Helga uses 750 pounds. Any idea how much ballast Gretchen
      > carries? I am intrigued by your assesment that Gretchen could be
      > planked plywood lapstrake fashion. That's good news.
      >
      > I am considering Wild Onion's hull with Red Onion's gaff sloop rig,
      > Gretchen, both boats being 18' LOA and will fit my building/storage
      > space. I could squeeze Helga in my garage, maybe. I'm wondering what
      > I get with the extra 2'? Any thoughts on this collection of wee boats?

      The way to fight a woman is with your hat. Grab it and run.
      <John Barrymore>