Another Batch of Boats Added to the Catalog

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 15, 2004
      http://www.atkinboatplans.com/

      Ben Bow - 28' 8" jib-headed knockabout or gaff cutter
      Betty-Carroll - 28' V-bottom cruiser
      Big Jake - 20' 6" inboard Banks dory
      Blue Bell - 18' flat-bottom utility
      Blue Bill - 31' V-bottom day cruiser
      Cap'n Dick - 21' 8" V-bottom fin-keel knockabout
      Capt'n Frank - 28' 3" V-bottom sedan fishing cruiser
      Christopher Robin - V-bottom raised-deck day cruiser
      Innaminnie - 30' 2" V-bottom raised-deck cruiser
      Jake - 16' 2 1/2" inboard Banks dory
      June Bug - 15' 2" V-bottom utility fisherman
      Seven Days - 17' 11" flat-bottom utility
      Skimmer - 13' 2 1/2" sailing board
      Sue - 15' 3" flat-bottom inboard skiff
      Surprise - 19' high-speed V-bottom Seabright skiff motorsailer
      Tally Ho Major - 34' 6" jib-headed cutter
      Tally Ho! - 30' jib-headed cutter
      Vega - 44' ketch-rigged motorsailer

      If he can't afford to live on a boat, he can't afford to live. Because it
      is infinitely cheaper to live on the water than to exist on land. Which is
      another reason why seamen pity the unhappy folks ashore. <James S. Pitkin>
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2004
        http://www.atkinboatplans.com/

        Lon, take a look at Sand Piper for another take on a tunnel stern...

        Ben Bow Too - 19' 3" Motorsailer
        Benn Gunn - 25' 8" Motorsailer
        Clione - 34' 7" Double-Ended Ketch
        Helga - 20' 2" Leeboard Cruising Knockabout
        Ironsides - 19' 2" Welded Iron Utility
        Meridian - 39' 4" Yawl
        Navarana - 37' Trunk-Cabin Cruiser
        New Hope - 23' 11" Knockabout-Rigged Cruising Sharpie
        Pam - 35' 5 1/2" Yawl
        Ran - 18' 8" High-Speed V-Bottom Runabout
        Restless - 14' High-Speed V-Bottom Runabout
        Roaring Forty - 30' 6" Raised-Deck Fishing Cruiser
        Salimina - 39' V-Bottom Cruiser
        Sand Piper - 30' 2" Tunnel-Stern Scow Day Cruiser
        Sprat - 20' 6" Garvey
        Tang - 26' V-Bottom Day Cruiser
        Tanja - 16' 10" Utility
        Tatter Hat - 31' V-Bottom Raised-Deck Cruiser

        Missionaries, my Dear! Don't you realize that missionaries are the divinely
        provided food for destitute cannibals? Whenever they are on the brink of
        starvation, Heaven in its infinite mercy send them a nice plump missionary.
        <Oscar Wilde>
      • lon wells
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2004
          The Sand Piper is graceful for a scow. Her Tunnel
          stern is different than the conventional tunnels it is
          a tunnel design that Atkin used on some of his other
          boats that you have on-line.

          I have been thinking that the tunnel might be a good
          place to put a Keel Cooler or a tunnel cooler ;) OK a
          heat exchanger. It would be a lot safer than a
          traditional keel cooler and cheaper than a marine heat
          exchanger.

          I do appreciate those scows. I respect their work
          history while I do like to look at the FOO FOO boats
          that guys polish like furniture. There is a honesty
          about working boats. They are functional and
          practical these are the boats that are on the water
          when the rest of us are at home looking out the window
          at the bad weather.

          I posted some pictures of the Scow Schooner Alma in
          the temporary file. One shot of her under sail
          looking good, and the other at the dock in San
          Francisco with Hay for sale. Notice that the dock is
          full of other scows with hay. These scows would cross
          Francisco Bay and head up to the farms on the
          Sacramento River if there was no wind the crew would
          pull the scows up river by hand or with horses. This
          is how the city of Francisco got the hay for the city
          horses. The scows were like modern trucks they would
          bring in lumber and farm produce.

          I have not had any luck with my research of Columbia
          River or Northwest Scows.
          Lon

          http://search.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 4, 2004
            I think you could call Sand Piper a big garvey, garveys being a refined
            subset of the scow family. Another nice Atkin garvey, sans tunnel, is the
            sedan utility Barnegat. The tunnel on Sand Piper is much like that on
            Huckleberry Finn, but Sand Piper is a much, much sleeker hull!

            The forward, lower part of a tunnel would be a good place for a "tunnel
            cooler." Make sure it's submerged when the boat is at rest.

            Thanks for the pix of Alma. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for
            scows, at least the good ones. Without the load of hay, some of those SF
            scow schooners were pretty fast. I've got a picture somewhere of one duking
            it out with the big ships in a Mariners' Day (?) regatta and at least
            holding its own.

            On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 10:24:31 -0800 (PST), Lon wrote:
            > The Sand Piper is graceful for a scow. Her Tunnel
            > stern is different than the conventional tunnels it is
            > a tunnel design that Atkin used on some of his other
            > boats that you have on-line.
            >
            > I have been thinking that the tunnel might be a good
            > place to put a Keel Cooler or a tunnel cooler ;) OK a
            > heat exchanger. It would be a lot safer than a
            > traditional keel cooler and cheaper than a marine heat
            > exchanger.

            The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can
            be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.
            <Elizabeth Taylor>