Re: Boat plans delivery

  • steelcb
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 14, 2005
      DirtSailor,

      I have the study plans in hand. I went off to Seagrove, NC for 4 days
      to check out the potters community there (and buy a ....load of
      pottery) and when I got back on the 13th, they were here. The post
      office (or some vandal) managed to get my mail strewn over the lawn
      where it got rained on and the letter from Mrs. Atkin accompanying the
      plans was unreadable due to melted ink. The plans were OK though. I
      feel very strongly that I will build this design sometime in the
      future. Thanks to everybody for the counsel to patience.

      To Hardy Stein, I tried to answer your e-mail, but it came back
      undeliverable. What I said was:

      My intent for Missie & Laurie is a liveaboard also. I
      tentatively plan to use her in the inland and near
      coastal waters on the East and Southern coasts of the
      U.S. My wife has been declining for the past 10 years
      with Parkinsons and strokes and probably won't be sharing
      this adventure with me, so I'm not worried about the C/B
      being in the cabin. I figure a 45 footer will be
      ample for a "hermit" even with C/B. Actually starting
      to build will not happen till (I hope) some time in the
      future when I'm alone.

      Your plan sounds good, however M & L sides look
      like they may have too much flare to take leeboards
      without some kind of significant hull attachment to keep
      them parallel with the mast. You'll notice most if not all
      of Bolger's (and Michalak's) designs with leeboards have
      straight sides.

      TomP
      Tulls Bay, NC.
    • DirtSailor
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 14, 2005
        T-Dude,

        I had the pleasure of taking several boats down the
        Eastern side. On one of the trips, weather forced us
        into the "Ditch" at Norfolk. Even though it took
        longer, it really is the best way to see the East
        coast! Coinjock NC has a great steak! If you haven't
        been there it is a great stopping point, along th ICF.

        Dirtsailor

      • steelcb
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 16, 2005
          DS,

          OK! I never ate there but I'll either drive down or sail(if I can get
          splashed) soon. I love a good steak. I live about 10 mi north of
          there a couple NM West of the ICW. We have a yahoo group called
          scbtrailersailors and a couple of our members are planning an ICW loop
          excursion that will take them through the Great Bridge canal,
          Blackwater River, Coinjock, Eliz City and back up the Dismal Swamp
          canal. I'll let them know about the good steak situation.

          Thanks.

          TomP

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, DirtSailor <dirtsailor2003@y...>

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 17, 2005
            Joe-

            None of the Atkins plans are free, but you can find some free boat plans
            through the links here:

            http://www.boat-links.com/linklists/boatlink-17.html#freeplans

            Good luck with your boatbuilding!

            On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:09:38 -0800 (PST), Joe wrote:

            > Dear YahooGroups,
            >
            > I will be retiring from my job and I want to build a
            > boat in my free time, can anyone send me a plan that
            > I can downloaded to my computer. It's an honor for me
            > to build, around 14' - 20' in length.

            Missionaries, my Dear! Don't you realize that missionaries are the divinely
            provided food for destitute cannibals? Whenever they are on the brink of
            starvation, Heaven in its infinite mercy send them a nice plump missionary.
            <Oscar Wilde>
          • jose geronimo
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 17, 2005
              Dear John,

              Thank you very much for this, maybe if I had done one
              I will be brave enough to buy a bigger plan from you,

              Again thank you so much.

              Regards,

              Joe