Re: Gretchen-Particulars

  • Wayne
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 13, 2005
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "mikegt4" <dawson-md@m...> wrote:

      > Wayne
      > Gretchen is in Ideal series Vol.33. She has 600# of internal
      ballast
      > placed under the bunks and floorboards. Gretchen certainly has a
      > beautiful set of lines especialy for an 18 ft. cabin boat.
      > In addition to Helga and the Onion/Oats series, check out the Nanny
      > Gay and the slightly larger Sharpeshooter, Dolly Varden, Economy
      Jane
      > all of which are in Vol 33.

      Thank you, Mike. My guesstimate of ballast wasn't far off based on
      Helga's 750 pounds. I will attempt to get the book through inter-
      library loan.

      I do find it interesting that the narrow round bottomed Gretchen
      carries twice as much ballast as the wider skipjack hull. Oh, extra
      beam. I guess I answered my own question.

      I will look at the others one more time. However, 18' LOA is really
      at the limit of my available space. I must keep my onefootitis in
      check, don't you know.

      Wayne
      In the Swamp.
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 17, 2005
        Gretchen was stretched two feet to give room for an inboard auxiliary.
        There's extra storage on each side of the engine too, which is always nice
        in a small boat. Notice that Helga and Gretchen share the same 6' beam.
        Helga and Gretchen are designed for lapstrake construction, so it would be
        little trouble to use plywood planks and glue those laps and make the boats
        more fit for trailering. If you wanted to eliminate some of the framing, as
        in modern glued lapstrake designs, I'd recommend getting some advice from a
        designer familiar with that construction.

        Red Onion's gaff rig could go on Wild Onion with little trouble.

        On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 04:36:39 -0000, Wayne wrote:

        > I was searching the archives for the Onions and Gretchen and ran
        > across the above. Do you have any more information beyond what is
        > mentioned on the Atkin web site? Specifially, how much internal
        > ballast? Helga uses 750 pounds. Any idea how much ballast Gretchen
        > carries? I am intrigued by your assesment that Gretchen could be
        > planked plywood lapstrake fashion. That's good news.
        >
        > I am considering Wild Onion's hull with Red Onion's gaff sloop rig,
        > Gretchen, both boats being 18' LOA and will fit my building/storage
        > space. I could squeeze Helga in my garage, maybe. I'm wondering what
        > I get with the extra 2'? Any thoughts on this collection of wee boats?

        The way to fight a woman is with your hat. Grab it and run.
        <John Barrymore>