Gretchen-Particulars

  • Wayne
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 12, 2005

      > Take a look at Gretchen, she's an easy shape to build cold-molded,
      strip-
      > planked or glued plywood lapstrake (my choice), has lots of room,
      looks
      > salty enough for anybody, and doesn't have a deep keel (but also
      isn't
      > double-ended):
      >
      > http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/Gretchen.html

      John Kohnen,

      I was searching the archives for the Onions and Gretchen and ran
      across the above. Do you have any more information beyond what is
      mentioned on the Atkin web site? Specifially, how much internal
      ballast? Helga uses 750 pounds. Any idea how much ballast Gretchen
      carries? I am intrigued by your assesment that Gretchen could be
      planked plywood lapstrake fashion. That's good news.

      I am considering Wild Onion's hull with Red Onion's gaff sloop rig,
      Gretchen, both boats being 18' LOA and will fit my building/storage
      space. I could squeeze Helga in my garage, maybe. I'm wondering what
      I get with the extra 2'? Any thoughts on this collection of wee boats?

      Thanks!

      Wayne
      In the Swamp.
    • mikegt4
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 13, 2005
        Wayne
        Gretchen is in Ideal series Vol.33. She has 600# of internal ballast
        placed under the bunks and floorboards. Gretchen certainly has a
        beautiful set of lines especialy for an 18 ft. cabin boat.
        In addition to Helga and the Onion/Oats series, check out the Nanny
        Gay and the slightly larger Sharpeshooter, Dolly Varden, Economy Jane
        all of which are in Vol 33.
      • Wayne
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 13, 2005
          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "mikegt4" <dawson-md@m...> wrote:

          > Wayne
          > Gretchen is in Ideal series Vol.33. She has 600# of internal
          ballast
          > placed under the bunks and floorboards. Gretchen certainly has a
          > beautiful set of lines especialy for an 18 ft. cabin boat.
          > In addition to Helga and the Onion/Oats series, check out the Nanny
          > Gay and the slightly larger Sharpeshooter, Dolly Varden, Economy
          Jane
          > all of which are in Vol 33.

          Thank you, Mike. My guesstimate of ballast wasn't far off based on
          Helga's 750 pounds. I will attempt to get the book through inter-
          library loan.

          I do find it interesting that the narrow round bottomed Gretchen
          carries twice as much ballast as the wider skipjack hull. Oh, extra
          beam. I guess I answered my own question.

          I will look at the others one more time. However, 18' LOA is really
          at the limit of my available space. I must keep my onefootitis in
          check, don't you know.

          Wayne
          In the Swamp.
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 17, 2005
            Gretchen was stretched two feet to give room for an inboard auxiliary.
            There's extra storage on each side of the engine too, which is always nice
            in a small boat. Notice that Helga and Gretchen share the same 6' beam.
            Helga and Gretchen are designed for lapstrake construction, so it would be
            little trouble to use plywood planks and glue those laps and make the boats
            more fit for trailering. If you wanted to eliminate some of the framing, as
            in modern glued lapstrake designs, I'd recommend getting some advice from a
            designer familiar with that construction.

            Red Onion's gaff rig could go on Wild Onion with little trouble.

            On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 04:36:39 -0000, Wayne wrote:

            > I was searching the archives for the Onions and Gretchen and ran
            > across the above. Do you have any more information beyond what is
            > mentioned on the Atkin web site? Specifially, how much internal
            > ballast? Helga uses 750 pounds. Any idea how much ballast Gretchen
            > carries? I am intrigued by your assesment that Gretchen could be
            > planked plywood lapstrake fashion. That's good news.
            >
            > I am considering Wild Onion's hull with Red Onion's gaff sloop rig,
            > Gretchen, both boats being 18' LOA and will fit my building/storage
            > space. I could squeeze Helga in my garage, maybe. I'm wondering what
            > I get with the extra 2'? Any thoughts on this collection of wee boats?

            The way to fight a woman is with your hat. Grab it and run.
            <John Barrymore>