Re: [AtkinBoats] Boat plans delivery

  • jose geronimo
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 12, 2005
      Dear YahooGroups,

      I will be retiring from my job and I want to build a
      boat in my free time, can anyone send me a plan that
      I can downloaded to my computer. It's an honor for me
      to build, around 14' - 20' in length.

      Regards to the group,

      Joe
      Bacoor, Philippines

      --- steelcb <steelcb@...> wrote:

      > Anybody know how long it usually takes to get study
      > plans from Atkin?
      > I ordered them for Missie & Laurie about a week ago
      > and wondered how
      > much longer it might be. I don't have a beef about
      > it, just kind of
      > on my tip-toes waiting to see the plans. Hope one
      > day to build and
      > live on this great looking boat. Am hoping to be
      > able to build it
      > with plywood and FRP. Built a cardboard model years
      > ago and fell in
      > love with the design.
      >
      > TomP
      > Tulls Bay, NC

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • steelcb
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 14, 2005
        DirtSailor,

        I have the study plans in hand. I went off to Seagrove, NC for 4 days
        to check out the potters community there (and buy a ....load of
        pottery) and when I got back on the 13th, they were here. The post
        office (or some vandal) managed to get my mail strewn over the lawn
        where it got rained on and the letter from Mrs. Atkin accompanying the
        plans was unreadable due to melted ink. The plans were OK though. I
        feel very strongly that I will build this design sometime in the
        future. Thanks to everybody for the counsel to patience.

        To Hardy Stein, I tried to answer your e-mail, but it came back
        undeliverable. What I said was:

        My intent for Missie & Laurie is a liveaboard also. I
        tentatively plan to use her in the inland and near
        coastal waters on the East and Southern coasts of the
        U.S. My wife has been declining for the past 10 years
        with Parkinsons and strokes and probably won't be sharing
        this adventure with me, so I'm not worried about the C/B
        being in the cabin. I figure a 45 footer will be
        ample for a "hermit" even with C/B. Actually starting
        to build will not happen till (I hope) some time in the
        future when I'm alone.

        Your plan sounds good, however M & L sides look
        like they may have too much flare to take leeboards
        without some kind of significant hull attachment to keep
        them parallel with the mast. You'll notice most if not all
        of Bolger's (and Michalak's) designs with leeboards have
        straight sides.

        TomP
        Tulls Bay, NC.
      • DirtSailor
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 14, 2005
          T-Dude,

          I had the pleasure of taking several boats down the
          Eastern side. On one of the trips, weather forced us
          into the "Ditch" at Norfolk. Even though it took
          longer, it really is the best way to see the East
          coast! Coinjock NC has a great steak! If you haven't
          been there it is a great stopping point, along th ICF.

          Dirtsailor

        • steelcb
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 16, 2005
            DS,

            OK! I never ate there but I'll either drive down or sail(if I can get
            splashed) soon. I love a good steak. I live about 10 mi north of
            there a couple NM West of the ICW. We have a yahoo group called
            scbtrailersailors and a couple of our members are planning an ICW loop
            excursion that will take them through the Great Bridge canal,
            Blackwater River, Coinjock, Eliz City and back up the Dismal Swamp
            canal. I'll let them know about the good steak situation.

            Thanks.

            TomP

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, DirtSailor <dirtsailor2003@y...>

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 17, 2005
              Joe-

              None of the Atkins plans are free, but you can find some free boat plans
              through the links here:

              http://www.boat-links.com/linklists/boatlink-17.html#freeplans

              Good luck with your boatbuilding!

              On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:09:38 -0800 (PST), Joe wrote:

              > Dear YahooGroups,
              >
              > I will be retiring from my job and I want to build a
              > boat in my free time, can anyone send me a plan that
              > I can downloaded to my computer. It's an honor for me
              > to build, around 14' - 20' in length.

              Missionaries, my Dear! Don't you realize that missionaries are the divinely
              provided food for destitute cannibals? Whenever they are on the brink of
              starvation, Heaven in its infinite mercy send them a nice plump missionary.
              <Oscar Wilde>
            • jose geronimo
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 17, 2005
                Dear John,

                Thank you very much for this, maybe if I had done one
                I will be brave enough to buy a bigger plan from you,

                Again thank you so much.

                Regards,

                Joe