Designs - for aluminum?

  • sals_dad
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11, 2004
      Hello, this group is a wonderful idea.

      I was introduced to Atkins designs by the writing of Robb White
      (Rescue Minor) and a recent commission built by my neighbor Alex
      Hadden - a 34' tunnel stern deisel cruiser.

      I think the Rescue Minor, or a similar design, might be ideal for my
      situation - mostly a protected big river, with some "outside"
      expeditions, a lot of very shallow transportation over half-tide mud
      flats, a "ground-out" requirement, and occasional ice-breaking.

      Unfortunately, I am congenitally incapable of dealing with boat
      maintenance; painting once or twice a decade is my limit. I have
      reached the conclusion that welded aluminum plate is the material for
      me - takes a beating, less maintenance is better, etc. I built a
      Bolger Teal of 1/8 plate, hiring a local guy to weld the seams, and
      it is pretty succesful, if heavy.

      I understand that the tunnel stern boats were designed for plywood
      sheet construction, but have never seen one built this way. Any
      information or contacts regarding these boats would be most welcome.

      Best regards,
      Curtis

      aka Sal's Dad (ref to 'One Morning in Maine')