Re: Boat plans delivery

  • steelcb
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 8, 2005
      Thanks Dirtsailor,

      I'll get off the pins and needles and try to make sense of the shop.
      This boat won't be built in this shop however. I'll need another 25
      ft of shed more than I have to build Missie & Laurie (a 45 footer).
      I'll use the time constructively by getting my plastic classic ready
      for the water and building the outrigger for my 3 plank pirogue. That
      should burn a few weeks at least.

      TomP

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, DirtSailor <dirtsailor2003@y...> wrote:
      > Tom,
      >
      > When I ordered my plans for Trim, I recieved them
      > about three weeks after ordering them. So I would
      > figure the typical 4-6 week usps thing! Hard to wait,
      > but here are a few suggestions to help pass the time
      > while waiting.
      >
      > 1. Clean up shop and prepare lofting floor.
      > 2. Take inventory of all tools in shop, once you start
      > building most tools will vanish into thin air.
      > 3. If you are married, spend lot's of time with
      > signigant other, that way after the plans show up and
      > you have vanished into thin air, the honey do list
      > will not be as bad, Which leads into #4.
      > 4. Stock shop frig., with enough food, and libations
      > to survive as long as needed.
      > 5. Drool over the picks of "Arial" as she is a fine
      > example of Atkins designs, and those who take care of
      > her.
      >
      > Sorry no top ten list of things to do, but hopefully
      > this will help you get through these harrowing times.
      >
      > Dirtsailor
      > --- steelcb <steelcb@y...> wrote:
      >

      > __________________________________
      > Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
    • Leo
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 10, 2005
        Actually I had plans in hand about 14 days after sending the check.
        Not bad considering 3-4 days to get there and 3-4 days back. Pat
        seems to be prompt. But remember that it isn't like a major company
        where there are a dozen shipping clerks just waiting for the order to
        hit their computer screen.

        Patience is always a virtue. Though I too lack much of this
        particular virtue.

        Leo
      • jose geronimo
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 12, 2005
          Dear YahooGroups,

          I will be retiring from my job and I want to build a
          boat in my free time, can anyone send me a plan that
          I can downloaded to my computer. It's an honor for me
          to build, around 14' - 20' in length.

          Regards to the group,

          Joe
          Bacoor, Philippines

          --- steelcb <steelcb@...> wrote:

          > Anybody know how long it usually takes to get study
          > plans from Atkin?
          > I ordered them for Missie & Laurie about a week ago
          > and wondered how
          > much longer it might be. I don't have a beef about
          > it, just kind of
          > on my tip-toes waiting to see the plans. Hope one
          > day to build and
          > live on this great looking boat. Am hoping to be
          > able to build it
          > with plywood and FRP. Built a cardboard model years
          > ago and fell in
          > love with the design.
          >
          > TomP
          > Tulls Bay, NC

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • steelcb
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 14, 2005
            DirtSailor,

            I have the study plans in hand. I went off to Seagrove, NC for 4 days
            to check out the potters community there (and buy a ....load of
            pottery) and when I got back on the 13th, they were here. The post
            office (or some vandal) managed to get my mail strewn over the lawn
            where it got rained on and the letter from Mrs. Atkin accompanying the
            plans was unreadable due to melted ink. The plans were OK though. I
            feel very strongly that I will build this design sometime in the
            future. Thanks to everybody for the counsel to patience.

            To Hardy Stein, I tried to answer your e-mail, but it came back
            undeliverable. What I said was:

            My intent for Missie & Laurie is a liveaboard also. I
            tentatively plan to use her in the inland and near
            coastal waters on the East and Southern coasts of the
            U.S. My wife has been declining for the past 10 years
            with Parkinsons and strokes and probably won't be sharing
            this adventure with me, so I'm not worried about the C/B
            being in the cabin. I figure a 45 footer will be
            ample for a "hermit" even with C/B. Actually starting
            to build will not happen till (I hope) some time in the
            future when I'm alone.

            Your plan sounds good, however M & L sides look
            like they may have too much flare to take leeboards
            without some kind of significant hull attachment to keep
            them parallel with the mast. You'll notice most if not all
            of Bolger's (and Michalak's) designs with leeboards have
            straight sides.

            TomP
            Tulls Bay, NC.
          • DirtSailor
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 14, 2005
              T-Dude,

              I had the pleasure of taking several boats down the
              Eastern side. On one of the trips, weather forced us
              into the "Ditch" at Norfolk. Even though it took
              longer, it really is the best way to see the East
              coast! Coinjock NC has a great steak! If you haven't
              been there it is a great stopping point, along th ICF.

              Dirtsailor

            • steelcb
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 16, 2005
                DS,

                OK! I never ate there but I'll either drive down or sail(if I can get
                splashed) soon. I love a good steak. I live about 10 mi north of
                there a couple NM West of the ICW. We have a yahoo group called
                scbtrailersailors and a couple of our members are planning an ICW loop
                excursion that will take them through the Great Bridge canal,
                Blackwater River, Coinjock, Eliz City and back up the Dismal Swamp
                canal. I'll let them know about the good steak situation.

                Thanks.

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 17, 2005
                  Joe-

                  None of the Atkins plans are free, but you can find some free boat plans
                  through the links here:

                  http://www.boat-links.com/linklists/boatlink-17.html#freeplans

                  Good luck with your boatbuilding!

                  On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:09:38 -0800 (PST), Joe wrote:

                  > Dear YahooGroups,
                  >
                  > I will be retiring from my job and I want to build a
                  > boat in my free time, can anyone send me a plan that
                  > I can downloaded to my computer. It's an honor for me
                  > to build, around 14' - 20' in length.

                  Missionaries, my Dear! Don't you realize that missionaries are the divinely
                  provided food for destitute cannibals? Whenever they are on the brink of
                  starvation, Heaven in its infinite mercy send them a nice plump missionary.
                  <Oscar Wilde>
                • jose geronimo
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 17, 2005
                    Dear John,

                    Thank you very much for this, maybe if I had done one
                    I will be brave enough to buy a bigger plan from you,

                    Again thank you so much.

                    Regards,

                    Joe