Boat plans delivery

  • steelcb
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 7 7:18 PM
      Anybody know how long it usually takes to get study plans from Atkin?
      I ordered them for Missie & Laurie about a week ago and wondered how
      much longer it might be. I don't have a beef about it, just kind of
      on my tip-toes waiting to see the plans. Hope one day to build and
      live on this great looking boat. Am hoping to be able to build it
      with plywood and FRP. Built a cardboard model years ago and fell in
      love with the design.

      TomP
      Tulls Bay, NC
    • DirtSailor
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 7 7:53 PM
        Tom,

        When I ordered my plans for Trim, I recieved them
        about three weeks after ordering them. So I would
        figure the typical 4-6 week usps thing! Hard to wait,
        but here are a few suggestions to help pass the time
        while waiting.

        1. Clean up shop and prepare lofting floor.
        2. Take inventory of all tools in shop, once you start
        building most tools will vanish into thin air.
        3. If you are married, spend lot's of time with
        signigant other, that way after the plans show up and
        you have vanished into thin air, the honey do list
        will not be as bad, Which leads into #4.
        4. Stock shop frig., with enough food, and libations
        to survive as long as needed.
        5. Drool over the picks of "Arial" as she is a fine
        example of Atkins designs, and those who take care of
        her.

        Sorry no top ten list of things to do, but hopefully
        this will help you get through these harrowing times.

        Dirtsailor
        --- steelcb <steelcb@...> wrote:

        __________________________________
        Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
      • steelcb
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 8 2:33 AM
          Thanks Dirtsailor,

          I'll get off the pins and needles and try to make sense of the shop.
          This boat won't be built in this shop however. I'll need another 25
          ft of shed more than I have to build Missie & Laurie (a 45 footer).
          I'll use the time constructively by getting my plastic classic ready
          for the water and building the outrigger for my 3 plank pirogue. That
          should burn a few weeks at least.

          TomP

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, DirtSailor <dirtsailor2003@y...> wrote:
          > Tom,
          >
          > When I ordered my plans for Trim, I recieved them
          > about three weeks after ordering them. So I would
          > figure the typical 4-6 week usps thing! Hard to wait,
          > but here are a few suggestions to help pass the time
          > while waiting.
          >
          > 1. Clean up shop and prepare lofting floor.
          > 2. Take inventory of all tools in shop, once you start
          > building most tools will vanish into thin air.
          > 3. If you are married, spend lot's of time with
          > signigant other, that way after the plans show up and
          > you have vanished into thin air, the honey do list
          > will not be as bad, Which leads into #4.
          > 4. Stock shop frig., with enough food, and libations
          > to survive as long as needed.
          > 5. Drool over the picks of "Arial" as she is a fine
          > example of Atkins designs, and those who take care of
          > her.
          >
          > Sorry no top ten list of things to do, but hopefully
          > this will help you get through these harrowing times.
          >
          > Dirtsailor
          > --- steelcb <steelcb@y...> wrote:
          >

          > __________________________________
          > Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
        • Leo
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 10 12:18 PM
            Actually I had plans in hand about 14 days after sending the check.
            Not bad considering 3-4 days to get there and 3-4 days back. Pat
            seems to be prompt. But remember that it isn't like a major company
            where there are a dozen shipping clerks just waiting for the order to
            hit their computer screen.

            Patience is always a virtue. Though I too lack much of this
            particular virtue.

            Leo
          • jose geronimo
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 12 4:09 PM
              Dear YahooGroups,

              I will be retiring from my job and I want to build a
              boat in my free time, can anyone send me a plan that
              I can downloaded to my computer. It's an honor for me
              to build, around 14' - 20' in length.

              Regards to the group,

              Joe
              Bacoor, Philippines

              --- steelcb <steelcb@...> wrote:

              > Anybody know how long it usually takes to get study
              > plans from Atkin?
              > I ordered them for Missie & Laurie about a week ago
              > and wondered how
              > much longer it might be. I don't have a beef about
              > it, just kind of
              > on my tip-toes waiting to see the plans. Hope one
              > day to build and
              > live on this great looking boat. Am hoping to be
              > able to build it
              > with plywood and FRP. Built a cardboard model years
              > ago and fell in
              > love with the design.
              >
              > TomP
              > Tulls Bay, NC

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • steelcb
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 14 8:15 PM
                DirtSailor,

                I have the study plans in hand. I went off to Seagrove, NC for 4 days
                to check out the potters community there (and buy a ....load of
                pottery) and when I got back on the 13th, they were here. The post
                office (or some vandal) managed to get my mail strewn over the lawn
                where it got rained on and the letter from Mrs. Atkin accompanying the
                plans was unreadable due to melted ink. The plans were OK though. I
                feel very strongly that I will build this design sometime in the
                future. Thanks to everybody for the counsel to patience.

                To Hardy Stein, I tried to answer your e-mail, but it came back
                undeliverable. What I said was:

                My intent for Missie & Laurie is a liveaboard also. I
                tentatively plan to use her in the inland and near
                coastal waters on the East and Southern coasts of the
                U.S. My wife has been declining for the past 10 years
                with Parkinsons and strokes and probably won't be sharing
                this adventure with me, so I'm not worried about the C/B
                being in the cabin. I figure a 45 footer will be
                ample for a "hermit" even with C/B. Actually starting
                to build will not happen till (I hope) some time in the
                future when I'm alone.

                Your plan sounds good, however M & L sides look
                like they may have too much flare to take leeboards
                without some kind of significant hull attachment to keep
                them parallel with the mast. You'll notice most if not all
                of Bolger's (and Michalak's) designs with leeboards have
                straight sides.

                TomP
                Tulls Bay, NC.
              • DirtSailor
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 14 9:57 PM
                  T-Dude,

                  I had the pleasure of taking several boats down the
                  Eastern side. On one of the trips, weather forced us
                  into the "Ditch" at Norfolk. Even though it took
                  longer, it really is the best way to see the East
                  coast! Coinjock NC has a great steak! If you haven't
                  been there it is a great stopping point, along th ICF.

                  Dirtsailor

                • steelcb
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 16 4:50 PM
                    DS,

                    OK! I never ate there but I'll either drive down or sail(if I can get
                    splashed) soon. I love a good steak. I live about 10 mi north of
                    there a couple NM West of the ICW. We have a yahoo group called
                    scbtrailersailors and a couple of our members are planning an ICW loop
                    excursion that will take them through the Great Bridge canal,
                    Blackwater River, Coinjock, Eliz City and back up the Dismal Swamp
                    canal. I'll let them know about the good steak situation.

                    Thanks.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 17 1:04 AM
                      Joe-

                      None of the Atkins plans are free, but you can find some free boat plans
                      through the links here:

                      http://www.boat-links.com/linklists/boatlink-17.html#freeplans

                      Good luck with your boatbuilding!

                      On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:09:38 -0800 (PST), Joe wrote:

                      > Dear YahooGroups,
                      >
                      > I will be retiring from my job and I want to build a
                      > boat in my free time, can anyone send me a plan that
                      > I can downloaded to my computer. It's an honor for me
                      > to build, around 14' - 20' in length.

                      Missionaries, my Dear! Don't you realize that missionaries are the divinely
                      provided food for destitute cannibals? Whenever they are on the brink of
                      starvation, Heaven in its infinite mercy send them a nice plump missionary.
                      <Oscar Wilde>
                    • jose geronimo
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 17 3:13 AM
                        Dear John,

                        Thank you very much for this, maybe if I had done one
                        I will be brave enough to buy a bigger plan from you,

                        Again thank you so much.

                        Regards,

                        Joe