Re: [AtkinBoats] Thoughts On Study Plans for Little Silver

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 25, 2005
      Trust the designer! The 1/2" batten-seam topsides are lighter and stronger
      than 13/16" carvel planking (except against punctures). Using 3/4" cross
      planking on the bottom wouldn't be any heavier than the double 3/8"
      planking, but wouldn't be as strong. If you must use carvel planking on the
      bottom, the framing is more suitable for lengthwise planking. But I wouldn't
      be surprised if Billy Atkin chose two layers of light planking to make it
      easier to fit the planks to the twist of the bottom. Little Silver's
      construction is pretty standard for motorboats of her day, and is still a
      good sort of construction today -- especially if you need to haul her around
      on a trailer.

      On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 03:42:42 -0000, Lewis wrote:
      > A mild surprise was the construction methods; double diagonal planked
      > bottom and batten-seam topsides. I wonder if Mr. Atkins was thinking
      > ease of amateur construction or was this the fashion of the day? I
      > would hate to plank a bottom twice (two 3/8 inch layers with brass
      > screws and copper clinch nails specified), so this arrangement would
      > have to be changed. A conventional cross planked bottom as per Pete
      > Culler would seem to be easier, quicker, just as strong and no
      > heavier. The keel as shown with apron piece is commonly used with
      > cross planked V-bottom boats, so nothing unusual. Another benefit
      > would be a simpler chine log. As I interpret the study plans, the
      > chine log looks overly complicated.
      >
      > The batten seam topsides (four planks/side) would be fine if I were
      > planking with plywood (not available here) so standard carvel
      > planking, about 13/16 rather than the ½ inch specified would seem to
      > be in order for this length boat. Even with batten seams, ½ inch
      > cedar planking seems skinny.

      Many a man has fallen in love with a girl in light so dim
      he would not have chosen a suit by it. <Maurice Chevalier>