RE: [AtkinBoats] NW Atkin Event?

  • William E. Parker
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 22, 2005
      I think it's a great idea; there's no way I could get to the PNW, but I
      could get to New England, sans boat, assuming it was on a weekend...
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 23, 2005
        Greetings

        While I'm not the one to declare a official "Atkin's Gathering", that should be left to someone like the Daddy of the Mother of All Maritime Links, Mr John Kohnen. Who might be planing something for one of the major boat festivals. I would like to extend a invitation to all "shipmates" to come to the "Quinn's Cove Summer Solstice Messabout" on June 17,18 and 19.

        Here is our Web site http://www.dragonwall.net/summer-solstice-messabout/

        There will be camping. Small boats can be carried down my ramp, boats on trailers can be launched less than a mile away at the state ramp and if you have that 305 foot Atkin's designed Tanker there is a deep water approved anchorage within 1/2 mile.

        Hope to see you there
        Lon

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 25, 2005
          An Atkin get-together is a Good Idea. I have some experience with
          instigating boating gatherings (see http://www.coots.org ), so I can give
          some advice. Everybody will say that a gathering is a good idea, they may
          even suggest good places to meet, but unless somebody steps up and says "OK,
          the get-together will be the weekend of [such and such date] at [such and
          such place]," nothing will happen. There isn't a date that doesn't conflict
          with _somebody's_ plans, so try to pick a good one and then stick to it.
          Don't be too ambitious with planning activities, everybody will have a good
          time just standing around looking at boats and jawing about them. Keep
          things low key, the important thing is just to have fun. The invitation
          should be inclusive, rather than exclusive. There's nothing like snobbery to
          kill the fun! <g> If you can find someplace where everybody can sit around a
          campfire and BS that's a Real Good Thing! :o)

          Any Atkin fans in the area are welcome to attend any of the Western Oregon
          Coots' messabouts, you don't need to bring a boat. We get together with some
          furriners from Up North and some TSCAers for a messabout on Sucia Island in
          the San Juans the weekend after the 4th of July too:

          http://members.shaw.ca/jamie.orr/

          For several years, several of us boat nuts have met Saturday morning for
          brunch during the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival. I think we overwhelmed
          the Otter Crossing Cafe last year, but any Atkin fan would be welcome to
          join us.

          Southern Puget Sound might be a good place for an NW Atkin get-together, so
          I don't have to drive so far. <g> But I've got a place to stay for free in
          Port Townsend, so somewhere near there would work well for me too.

          On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 15:28:05 -0800 (PST), Lon wrote:
          > While I'm not the one to declare a official "Atkin's Gathering", that
          should be left to someone like the Daddy of the Mother of All Maritime
          Links, Mr John Kohnen. Who might be planing something for one of the major
          boat festivals. I would like to extend a invitation to all "shipmates" to
          come to the "Quinn's Cove Summer Solstice Messabout" on June 17,18 and 19.

          > Here is our Web site http://www.dragonwall.net/summer-solstice-messabout/
          >
          > There will be camping. Small boats can be carried down my ramp, boats on
          trailers can be launched less than a mile away at the state ramp and if you
          have that 305 foot Atkin's designed Tanker there is a deep water approved
          anchorage within 1/2 mile.

          The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can
          be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.
          <Elizabeth Taylor>