NW Atkin Event?

  • roninpnw
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 22, 2005
      Hello to all of you-

      With so many people interested in the Atkins' designs and boats, why
      don't we ever get together? I know that owners of plastic boats tend
      to do that all the time, but we have the added thrills that every
      wooden boat is *different*, and this community possesses some of the
      most beautiful wooden boats around.

      I don't know if this may have been attempted before (I may just be
      oblivious), but what would the likelihood be of a bunch of Atkin-
      owners (& their boats) meeting up in some harbor to assess designs,
      building techniques, modifications, and microbrew preferences? We are
      likely to run into each other at one of the existing festivals, but
      what's wrong with a new excuse?

      I'm personally only suggesting a meeting as near as I can sail in the
      weekend, but there should really be a PNW and a New England
      gathering, don't you think?

      I'm just thinking out loud...

      -Scott
    • William E. Parker
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 22, 2005
        I think it's a great idea; there's no way I could get to the PNW, but I
        could get to New England, sans boat, assuming it was on a weekend...
[...]

        No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be
        polite.

        <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

      • lon wells
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 23, 2005
          Greetings

          While I'm not the one to declare a official "Atkin's Gathering", that should be left to someone like the Daddy of the Mother of All Maritime Links, Mr John Kohnen. Who might be planing something for one of the major boat festivals. I would like to extend a invitation to all "shipmates" to come to the "Quinn's Cove Summer Solstice Messabout" on June 17,18 and 19.

          Here is our Web site http://www.dragonwall.net/summer-solstice-messabout/

          There will be camping. Small boats can be carried down my ramp, boats on trailers can be launched less than a mile away at the state ramp and if you have that 305 foot Atkin's designed Tanker there is a deep water approved anchorage within 1/2 mile.

          Hope to see you there
          Lon

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 25, 2005
            An Atkin get-together is a Good Idea. I have some experience with
            instigating boating gatherings (see http://www.coots.org ), so I can give
            some advice. Everybody will say that a gathering is a good idea, they may
            even suggest good places to meet, but unless somebody steps up and says "OK,
            the get-together will be the weekend of [such and such date] at [such and
            such place]," nothing will happen. There isn't a date that doesn't conflict
            with _somebody's_ plans, so try to pick a good one and then stick to it.
            Don't be too ambitious with planning activities, everybody will have a good
            time just standing around looking at boats and jawing about them. Keep
            things low key, the important thing is just to have fun. The invitation
            should be inclusive, rather than exclusive. There's nothing like snobbery to
            kill the fun! <g> If you can find someplace where everybody can sit around a
            campfire and BS that's a Real Good Thing! :o)

            Any Atkin fans in the area are welcome to attend any of the Western Oregon
            Coots' messabouts, you don't need to bring a boat. We get together with some
            furriners from Up North and some TSCAers for a messabout on Sucia Island in
            the San Juans the weekend after the 4th of July too:

            http://members.shaw.ca/jamie.orr/

            For several years, several of us boat nuts have met Saturday morning for
            brunch during the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival. I think we overwhelmed
            the Otter Crossing Cafe last year, but any Atkin fan would be welcome to
            join us.

            Southern Puget Sound might be a good place for an NW Atkin get-together, so
            I don't have to drive so far. <g> But I've got a place to stay for free in
            Port Townsend, so somewhere near there would work well for me too.

            On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 15:28:05 -0800 (PST), Lon wrote:
            > While I'm not the one to declare a official "Atkin's Gathering", that
            should be left to someone like the Daddy of the Mother of All Maritime
            Links, Mr John Kohnen. Who might be planing something for one of the major
            boat festivals. I would like to extend a invitation to all "shipmates" to
            come to the "Quinn's Cove Summer Solstice Messabout" on June 17,18 and 19.

            > Here is our Web site http://www.dragonwall.net/summer-solstice-messabout/
            >
            > There will be camping. Small boats can be carried down my ramp, boats on
            trailers can be launched less than a mile away at the state ramp and if you
            have that 305 foot Atkin's designed Tanker there is a deep water approved
            anchorage within 1/2 mile.

            The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can
            be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.
            <Elizabeth Taylor>