Thoughts On Study Plans for “Lake of the Lake”

  • Lewis E. Gordon
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 19, 2005
      A friend, the wife and I have been tossing around ideas to make some
      money from all the tourist floating around Granada, so I hit on the
      idea of a paddle stern wheel boat as a "gimmick" to attract tourists
      to local area cruises. The "gimmick" might work, but I'm not sure of
      the economics. Lady of the Lake is a big 28 foot boat, but I'm not
      sure she could carry enough paying passengers. I would not want to
      build a larger stern-wheeler as I think larger wheels would quickly
      become too complex. The source for large sprockets and chains is
      limited since the end of chain driven trucks (a specified source) or
      the decline in coal mining. (I remember such sprockets on conveyers
      from my youth in West Virginia.) A hydraulic pump with two motors on
      split wheels might work fine and give good control, but it could be an
      expensive experiment.

      Also, the limited speed would bore the paying customers to death
      before we got to any good destinations; and the local (native) fleet
      does an adequate job of taking tourists around the 365 or so isletas
      (small islands) nearby. The only other market that is not being served
      that I can think of is evening dinner cruises. The local fleet closes
      up at sundown. But again, even a 28-foot barge can only hold so many
      people.

      "Lake of the Lake" is certainly a neat character boat, but if I were
      to build a scow (garvey) for my own use on the lake, it would most
      likely be Sand Piper.

      Lewis