epoxy

  • jsb122100
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 17, 2005
      thanks for the info i do have a couple of more questions how much
      would i need to do the outside of a 16 foot jon boat and when would
      you use a slow hardener over a fast is one better than the other
    • John B. Trussell
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 17, 2005
        I have no idea how much epoxy you need--suggest you get a copy of The Goudgeon Brothers on Boat Construction. If you are playing with epoxy in temperatures below 70 degrees farenhite. down to 50 degrees, you probabnly need to use a fast hardener; 70 and above, suggest slow hardener. Big jobs, like fiberglassing a bottom, are probably easier with slow hardener.

        If you are going to play with epoxy, the first thing you need is a box of rubber or vinyl gloves from your local drug store. Also, be aware that it is a lot easier to avoid/ clean up drips and runs than it is to sand them out after the fact.

        John T
        thanks for the info i do have a couple of more questions how much
        would i need to do the outside of a 16 foot jon boat and when would
        you use a slow hardener over a fast is one better than the other

        <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • wmeparker@cinci.rr.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 18, 2005
          About four years ago I re-coated a 60's era 17' fiberglass sloop, two coats, hull and deck. It was done in the summer, which means it was more penetrative and more fluid, but it took about 1.75 gallons, using slow hardener. All boats are different, and if tere is more cloth than filler, much was maybe not the case with this boat, it might be thirstier.