Re: [AtkinBoats] The Dinghy Book?

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 16, 2005
      Lon-

      You've got The Dinghy Book in you hot, sweaty hands. I gave the Coots'
      Lending Library copy to you at the library messabout last month. When it was
      reissued twenty-some-odd years ago it was renamed The Small Boat Book (I
      think someone else had published a book called The Dinghy Book in the
      interim). Pat Atkin has a few copies of The Small Boat Book that she's
      giving away for $15 postpaid. I need to finish revamping the Books page in
      the Atkin site, but in the meantime here's the order form:

      http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Books/SmallBoatBookOrder.pdf

      On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:59:23 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

      > Does any one know what lengths of Dinghies are in this William Atkin book?
      I have alway thought of a Dinghy as a tender less than 10 feet long.

      > "The Dinghy Book: A Compilation of Small Row Boats and Outboard Engined
      Designs Arranged Particularly for Amateur Construction"

      Distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes.
      <Henry David Thoreau>
    • Lewis E. Gordon
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 16, 2005
        Mike,

        I am going to pick up my three study plans tomorrow at the mail
        forwarder office in Managua. Can't wait! I think Russel R. would do
        quite well here on the lake. I am tempted to build it myself!

        The Nicaraguan Cordoba is tied to the US dollar (at 16.44 to 1 today)
        so I haven't noticed the decline in the dollar, except that now some
        used car prices are in Euros. The Cordoba has a built-in inflation
        index of .5% per month per their dealings with the World Bank, etc.

        "Precious" woods are not cheap here. We paid C$1080 (US $65.77) for a
        Mahogany log last week which we had cut per our carpenters specs, but
        this was a special deal (I don't know how many usable board feet we
        got out of the log). Cerro Real (Spanish cedar or boxwood cedar) runs
        about $3.45 a board foot and other woods run somewhat cheaper.

        The Atlantic coast of Nicaragua also has a drug trafficing problem,
        but I can't say how bad it really is since I have yet to visit that
        part of the country. I hope to do so before May and the start of the
        rainy season. This part of the country would be a great spot for
        Russel R. and a camp/cruise journey.

        Come on down!

        Lewis