The Dinghy Book?

  • lon wells
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 16, 2005
      Does any one know what lengths of Dinghies are in this William Atkin book? I have alway thought of a Dinghy as a tender less than 10 feet long.

      "The Dinghy Book: A Compilation of Small Row Boats and Outboard Engined Designs Arranged Particularly for Amateur Construction"
      Lon

    • Mike Dolph
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 16, 2005
        Hi Gordon,

        I got the plans for Russel R. and don't see anything in them that
        would prevent my building her. The falling dollar is bothering me
        quite a lot however when I try to guess what it will mean for me
        living in Brasil. All the places I have looked into except
        Aquidauana seem to be on the border with Bolivia and have a lot of
        drug trafficing going on with the violence that comes with it.
        What's the future look like in Nicaragua currency wise?

        At this point I'm still commited to traveling but not sure if I want
        to build the boat there.

        Mike Dolph

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 16, 2005
          Lon-

          You've got The Dinghy Book in you hot, sweaty hands. I gave the Coots'
          Lending Library copy to you at the library messabout last month. When it was
          reissued twenty-some-odd years ago it was renamed The Small Boat Book (I
          think someone else had published a book called The Dinghy Book in the
          interim). Pat Atkin has a few copies of The Small Boat Book that she's
          giving away for $15 postpaid. I need to finish revamping the Books page in
          the Atkin site, but in the meantime here's the order form:

          http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Books/SmallBoatBookOrder.pdf

          On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:59:23 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

          > Does any one know what lengths of Dinghies are in this William Atkin book?
          I have alway thought of a Dinghy as a tender less than 10 feet long.

          > "The Dinghy Book: A Compilation of Small Row Boats and Outboard Engined
          Designs Arranged Particularly for Amateur Construction"

          Distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes.
          <Henry David Thoreau>
        • Lewis E. Gordon
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 16, 2005
            Mike,

            I am going to pick up my three study plans tomorrow at the mail
            forwarder office in Managua. Can't wait! I think Russel R. would do
            quite well here on the lake. I am tempted to build it myself!

            The Nicaraguan Cordoba is tied to the US dollar (at 16.44 to 1 today)
            so I haven't noticed the decline in the dollar, except that now some
            used car prices are in Euros. The Cordoba has a built-in inflation
            index of .5% per month per their dealings with the World Bank, etc.

            "Precious" woods are not cheap here. We paid C$1080 (US $65.77) for a
            Mahogany log last week which we had cut per our carpenters specs, but
            this was a special deal (I don't know how many usable board feet we
            got out of the log). Cerro Real (Spanish cedar or boxwood cedar) runs
            about $3.45 a board foot and other woods run somewhat cheaper.

            The Atlantic coast of Nicaragua also has a drug trafficing problem,
            but I can't say how bad it really is since I have yet to visit that
            part of the country. I hope to do so before May and the start of the
            rainy season. This part of the country would be a great spot for
            Russel R. and a camp/cruise journey.

            Come on down!

            Lewis