Re: No Posts?

  • adharvey2
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 14, 2005
      Boating? Not in Montana. My boat spends the winter sitting upside down
      on a couple of railroad ties next to it's trailer. Although the last
      few weeks it's been so warm here I've been tempted to put it together!
      But that would probably offend the ice fishing gods. Better not.

      Andrew Harvey

      <l_gordon_nica@y...> wrote:

      > I suppose that everyone is out boating and not surfing the internet!
      > No new posts for almost two weeks! Here on Lake Nicaragua it has been
      > too windy to get out much. Usually the north winds die down by the
      > first week in March and I hope to spend a lot of time on the water then.
      >
      > Lewis,
      >
      > Granada, Nicaragua
    • William E. Parker
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 15, 2005
        I was getting my mainmast ready to varnish, and "discovered" dryrot in the
        top of it when it fell off the sawhorse. So now I am gearing up for a new
        mainmast. I have owned this boat for two seasons, and I have never had it
        in the water before June. It is possible I might make it this year, but it
        will be a hard slog. The builder just made up the mast breadboard fashion,
        and some of the joints were starved of epoxy, allowing water to get in.

        I suppose I should have taken it as a sign that 100 board feet of spruce
        went with the boat as part of the deal...

        Best,
        Bill

        <l_gordon_nica@y...> wrote:

        > I suppose that everyone is out boating and not surfing the internet!
        > No new posts for almost two weeks! Here on Lake Nicaragua it has been
        > too windy to get out much. Usually the north winds die down by the
        > first week in March and I hope to spend a lot of time on the water then.
        >
        > Lewis,
        >
        > Granada, Nicaragua

        No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be
        polite.

        <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • lon wells
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 16, 2005
          Does any one know what lengths of Dinghies are in this William Atkin book? I have alway thought of a Dinghy as a tender less than 10 feet long.

          "The Dinghy Book: A Compilation of Small Row Boats and Outboard Engined Designs Arranged Particularly for Amateur Construction"
          Lon

        • Mike Dolph
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 16, 2005
            Hi Gordon,

            I got the plans for Russel R. and don't see anything in them that
            would prevent my building her. The falling dollar is bothering me
            quite a lot however when I try to guess what it will mean for me
            living in Brasil. All the places I have looked into except
            Aquidauana seem to be on the border with Bolivia and have a lot of
            drug trafficing going on with the violence that comes with it.
            What's the future look like in Nicaragua currency wise?

            At this point I'm still commited to traveling but not sure if I want
            to build the boat there.

            Mike Dolph

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 16, 2005
              Lon-

              You've got The Dinghy Book in you hot, sweaty hands. I gave the Coots'
              Lending Library copy to you at the library messabout last month. When it was
              reissued twenty-some-odd years ago it was renamed The Small Boat Book (I
              think someone else had published a book called The Dinghy Book in the
              interim). Pat Atkin has a few copies of The Small Boat Book that she's
              giving away for $15 postpaid. I need to finish revamping the Books page in
              the Atkin site, but in the meantime here's the order form:

              http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Books/SmallBoatBookOrder.pdf

              On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:59:23 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

              > Does any one know what lengths of Dinghies are in this William Atkin book?
              I have alway thought of a Dinghy as a tender less than 10 feet long.

              > "The Dinghy Book: A Compilation of Small Row Boats and Outboard Engined
              Designs Arranged Particularly for Amateur Construction"

              Distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes.
              <Henry David Thoreau>
            • Lewis E. Gordon
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 16, 2005
                Mike,

                I am going to pick up my three study plans tomorrow at the mail
                forwarder office in Managua. Can't wait! I think Russel R. would do
                quite well here on the lake. I am tempted to build it myself!

                The Nicaraguan Cordoba is tied to the US dollar (at 16.44 to 1 today)
                so I haven't noticed the decline in the dollar, except that now some
                used car prices are in Euros. The Cordoba has a built-in inflation
                index of .5% per month per their dealings with the World Bank, etc.

                "Precious" woods are not cheap here. We paid C$1080 (US $65.77) for a
                Mahogany log last week which we had cut per our carpenters specs, but
                this was a special deal (I don't know how many usable board feet we
                got out of the log). Cerro Real (Spanish cedar or boxwood cedar) runs
                about $3.45 a board foot and other woods run somewhat cheaper.

                The Atlantic coast of Nicaragua also has a drug trafficing problem,
                but I can't say how bad it really is since I have yet to visit that
                part of the country. I hope to do so before May and the start of the
                rainy season. This part of the country would be a great spot for
                Russel R. and a camp/cruise journey.

                Come on down!

                Lewis