Re: [AtkinBoats] Tunnel Hulls & Scaling

  • Ronald Fossum
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 19, 2005
      I think you have the idea down well. My only other comment is to note that the "tunnel", once it reaches the propeller, takes a "downward curve, thus narrowing the height of the aperture at the transom (I think it's called "wedging"). This creates something of a venturi effect, accelerating the flow/velocity of water and thereby giving increased thrust. The more I look at the "Atkin Tunnel Stern" (it should certainly be named after them) the more impressed I am with their design ability.

      As to scaling... Most early wooden boat builders used this technique. The had a set of molds of a hull "This is our standard 18' model, but we can build it in lengths from 16' to 20'. They simply moved the molds closer together or further apart. My understanding is that 10% was the recommended maximum, although up to 15% might be done (depending on other aspects of the hull design). Beyond that one made molds for the for the standard 24' hull, etc. Stability, center of buoyancy, and all sorts of other factors come into play and, while the boat builders of old might not have used those terms, they understood what was going on and the corrective changes needed to accomodate a longer hull form.

      The version of Rescue Minor I'm planning will be 21' 6" LOA (that's a 10% "stretch"). I will be altering the shape above the waterline somewhat to accomodate allow glued plywood lapstrake construction with a small trunk cabin forward. I'm very carefully watching the weight distribution, to keep it within what Atkin had. As I'll be using 3/8" plywood planks instead of the 3/4" plywood that Billy specified, I should be OK.

      You can point out the "error of my ways" this Saturday at the Library Messabout".

      Ron Fossum