Underwater Shapes

  • Leo
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 19, 2005
      Folks,

      OK – I'm looking at paper printouts from the Atkin boats site of
      Nanuk III and River Belle; it appears to me that the underwater shape
      of the hull is virtually the same on both hulls. Please give me your
      opinion as to the veracity of this observation.

      For arguments sake, could not one transfer the above water hull shape
      from Nanuk III to River Belle's hull? In other words, I really like
      the vertical bow, the flair and flam forward and the graceful sheer
      line. Exactly what River Belle does not seem to have.

      So please take a look at the drawings and see if – to your eye – the
      underwater shapes aren't the same.

      Thanks,

      Leo
    • Ronald Fossum
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 19, 2005
        I agree that, on a cursory look, the hulls of both River Belle and Nanuk III are very similar below the waterline. As to transfering the above waterline hull shape - one would have to take into account any redistribution of construction materials and the consequent shift in weights (among other things). That being said, I plan to do something along those lines with Rescue Minor. Go to your earlier post of Tunnel Hulls and Scaling for more...

        Ron Fossum

        <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>