Re: [AtkinBoats] I'm looking for any advice about the Russell R. design

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 16, 2005
      Another of my favorites! To get the designed top speed, Russel R. has to be
      built light. If you use heavier, stronger wood than the oak and cedar
      specified you can trim the scantlings a bit. The best thing to do would be
      to ask the local boatbuilders what they use. You'll have to take extra pains
      to make any cabin, or other additions, light. Strip-planking a flat-sided
      skiff seems pretty silly, and tedious, and carvel planking would be too
      heavy. Lapstrake isn't reaaly all that difficult, but if you don't want to
      try it batten-seam construction would be almost as light, and probably about
      the same amount of work. Except for some of the interior details and
      decking, Russell R. is a simple flat-bottom skiff, with a cross-planked
      bottom and no bottom frames. You can do it! <g>

      For a light, fast boat like Russell R. you don't want the high thrust
      version of the Yamaha. There's already a watertight slop well around the
      motor well in the plans. The covered motor well is one of the things I like
      most about Russell R. I don't particularly like listening to outboards. :ob

      On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 07:15:22 -0000, John D wrote:

      > I'm considering the Russell R. as a design I can build for myself in
      > the Pantanal region of Brasil. I have tried to walk myself through
      > it and even though I have never built a boat I think I can do this
      > one. I would make it crossplanked on the bottom and probably strip
      > plank the sides instead of lapstrake (which I'm pretty sure would
      > defeat me).
      > I would have preferred the Rosdave design but if Russel R. works as
      > described it would be the better boat for the job and much more
      > likely to be a DIY success for me. I would use a 15 HP outboard
      > motor, probably a Yamaha. If the high thrust version with larger
      > prop is available, would it be more desirable?
      >
      > The available woods will probably be much denser and heavier than the
      > white cedar specified so I was thinking of reducing the plank
      > scantlings a bit. I also want a self draining shelf or motorwell
      > surrounding the open well the outboard drops into. This should
      > reinforce the open well and give a place to flop fish for cleaning,
      > etc. and supply a dry place for a battery if I have electric
      > charge/start. The lids over the outboard will disappear.
      >
      > I plan to build a cabin like one used by the Campjon by Jim Micalak
      > which will also add weight.
      >
      > Everything turns on the postulated speed of 17 miles an hour. I'm
      > hoping a 15 HP outboard will still deliver that even if the boat is
      > heavier.

      Man does not live by words alone, despite the fact that he
      sometimes has to eat them. <Adlai Stevenson>