Re: I ordered the Russell R. planset

  • Mike Dolph
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 11, 2005
      Hi Gordon,

      I can't really say when, depends on children, especially the welfare
      of one autistic son. Probably beginning or end of February if all
      goes well. If I make any enclosure over the outboard it would have
      to allow very free air circulation, perhaps some sort of welded
      cage. It's certainly true that the motor is very portable. The 15HP
      offered by Yamaha of Brasil doesn't offer electric start, charging,
      or remote steering so a steering station up front is out. I want a
      cabin forward like the one depicted in photos of a Campjon made by a
      polish amateur on the Duckworks site. This should strengthen the
      hull a great deal and yet be very airy with sewn polytarp coverings
      for rain. Electricity will have to come from a solar charger, I
      found one for less than $150.00 with a battery maintenance system
      included. I'm not sure how much average daily electrical service
      I'll get from this. I hope it's enough for auxiliary lighting,
      navegation lights in an emergency, and a radio for a few hours a day,
      power for a laptop would be gravy. Of course all these things can
      work on their own store-bought batteries. I'll check out the species
      Cedrela odorata.

      I have found a few woods using the names on Atkins Boat plans site
      and others I found in Portugese. Jacareuba, Calophyllum Brasiliense,
      is probably the Lagart mentioned on the site. Caoba or mahogany is
      available as Swietenia Macrophylla. Guarapeira, or Garapa on the
      site is Apuleia Molaris. Does the white sapwood stink? It may be
      the one referred to as Cabbage Bark.

      John Dolph

      <l_gordon_nica@y...> wrote:

      > John,
      >
      > Congratulations on the order! Your postings about Russell R. have
      > gotten me interested in this design. It is the largest wooden
      outboard
      > for which plans are available in the online catalog. I like the long
      > length/beam ratio, however, the strange V shaped forward cocpit
      turned
      > me off at first; but the more I study the design the more sense it
      > makes. I would greatly strengthen the forward part of the hull and
      > make a usefull seating/sleeping area.
      >
      > How much time do you budget to build the boat in Brasil? A related
      > species to Cedrela odorata is sometimes used in boatbuilding here on
      > Lake NIcaragua. The heartwood seems to last forever in fresh water.
      > The white sapwood is avoided, and there must be a reason for doing
      so!

      > From remembering an earlier post, I would think about keeping the
      > hatch over the motor as a means to secure it against the casual
      thief.
      > While camp cruising you cannot keep an eye on the boat at all times
      > and the 15 hp Yamaha can be unfastened and lifted out and gone in an
      > instant.
      >
      > Lewis
      >
      > p.s. I don't have a clew if the lines are to inside or outside of
      the
      > planking. Most designers would show to the outside, but Atkins was a
      > boatbuilder so they may be to the inside. On this lenght/beam ratio
      > for 5/8" planking I don't think it would make any difference IMO.
      You
      > may just have to wait for the plans to arrive!
      >

      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdolph@s...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have a few questions about Russel R.
      > >
      > > Are lines drawn to outside of hull? Has anyone ever run Russel
      R.
      > > through US Coast Guard 'Safety Standards for Backyard Boat
      Builders?
      > > I read what I could find about South American woods on the
      website
      > > and I'm researching that. Has anyone got more advice on
      Brazilian or
      > > South American woods? I found a group of Brazilian amateur boat
      > > builders and got a recommendation for "Cedro Rosa" but IBAMA's
      site
      > > on Brazilian woods says it's good for playground equipment but
      rots
      > > in water. I'm trying to find out who is right.
      > >
      > > My plan is to build Russel R. in Brazil and camp cruise the
      Pantanal;

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 16, 2005
        Russell R's lines are to the outside of the planking. You'll have to loft
        the hull (draw the lines full-size) before building. Not a big deal with
        such a simple shape.

        Sounds like a great adventure! :o) In that hot, sticky climate I think I'd
        like a variation on the canvas cabin shown in the Russell R. plans, with lots
        of bug-screened windows for ventilation, rather than a stuffy solid cabin.

        On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 07:08:45 -0000, John D wrote:
        > I have a few questions about Russel R.
        >
        > Are lines drawn to outside of hull?
        > My plan is to build Russel R. in Brazil and camp cruise the Pantanal;
        > then sell the whole kit when I'm finished.
        > My Portugese is getting quite a workout; I'm try to gain more marine
        > vocabulary:-)

        People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading.
        <Logan Pearsall Smith>