Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Economy Ben?

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2005
      Ben's forestay fastens to the mast right near where the shrouds do, so the
      luff of the jib shouldn't sag much. The shrouds are angled back quite a bit
      to keep the forestay taut, but it'll never be as taut as that of one of the
      high-strung rigs. But then those high-strung rigs put so much strain into
      the hull that it needs to be over-engineered to keep the boat together --
      all just to keep that jib luff tight! Fortunately, that's not the Atkins'
      idea of boating...

      On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:28:10 -0000, Steve wrote:
      > Hey, thanks, Lewis. Great timing on your post. You must've posted as
      > I was responding to Lon's message. I agree with you about Jane's
      > gaff rig. I prefer it to Ben's marconi. Does anyone have experience
      > with a wire luff main not attached all the way up the mast like
      > Ben's?

      One cat just leads to another.
      <Ernest Hemingway>
    • baycruiser54
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 4, 2005
        John -

        Thanks for your replies. This is the second time I have tried to
        post, the first time didn't work (at least yet), just to explain if
        two posts from me show up.

        Yes, this is exactly what I had in mind, re: putting EJ's cabin and
        interior on Ben, no other change but to make the deckhouse
        proportionally longer, and the galley-seating area, and that's it.

        EJ's cabin looks too good to mess up by making it taller. Standing
        headroom probably should not be a priority on so small a boat - just
        go on deck.

        Steve

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 16, 2005
          A cabin like Economy Jane's will probably look better on Ben than it does
          on Economy Jane. I think Billy and John went about as tall as they dared
          with Economy Jane's cabin. Ben's extra size should handle the same height
          more gracefully.

          Don't use up too much of the cockpit with the cabin, since you will be
          spending a lot of time outside.

          On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 22:06:53 -0000, you wrote:
          > Yes, this is exactly what I had in mind, re: putting EJ's cabin and
          > interior on Ben, no other change but to make the deckhouse
          > proportionally longer, and the galley-seating area, and that's it.
          >
          > EJ's cabin looks too good to mess up by making it taller. Standing
          > headroom probably should not be a priority on so small a boat - just
          > go on deck.

          I have never seen a situation so dismal
          that a policeman couldn't make it worse. <Brendan Behan>
        • baycruiser54
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 16, 2005
            John - I couldn't agree more. If I decide to go this routh, I will
            certainly do this (not enlarge the cabin too much at the expense of
            cockpit space). Thanks,
            Steve