Re: [AtkinBoats] Economy Ben?

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2005
      You're on your own if you add a cabin to Ben. Some of the worst abominations
      on the water are the result of people adding cabins to unsuitable boats, or
      "improving" cabin designs. :ob But with that disclaimer out of the way, I
      think that a light, low cabin wouldn't harm Ben's performance to any great
      extent. Economy Jane's interior furnishings are simple, and thus light, and
      her cabin is low. You should follow that example. If the boat isn't big
      enough for standing headroom, sitting headroom is plenty. Of course I just
      run the Atkin Web page, and my opinions are my own, not Atkin & Co's. <g>

      On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 00:21:29 -0000, Steve wrote:

      > John, or anyone:
      >
      > Would adding a deck, house, and interior to Ben to make him over
      > into a lengthened Economy Jane cause the resulting boat to have
      > sailing characteristics noticeably inferior to one built strictly
      > according to the original plan of either boat?
      >
      > I'm probably asking more question here than I am bargaining for,
      > because of both Atkins' strict admonishments against significant
      > changes, (and my own ignorance) but when you have two designs whose
      > lines and dimensions (other than length) are so similar (let's just
      > say it - EXACT), I think that just begs the question be asked again,
      > especially since neither Bill nor John are available to do a custom
      > re-design.
      >
      > I love both boats, I just wish they had been combined.

      Show me a man who has enjoyed his school days and I'll show you a
      bully and a bore. <Robert Morley>
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2005
        Ben's forestay fastens to the mast right near where the shrouds do, so the
        luff of the jib shouldn't sag much. The shrouds are angled back quite a bit
        to keep the forestay taut, but it'll never be as taut as that of one of the
        high-strung rigs. But then those high-strung rigs put so much strain into
        the hull that it needs to be over-engineered to keep the boat together --
        all just to keep that jib luff tight! Fortunately, that's not the Atkins'
        idea of boating...

        On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:28:10 -0000, Steve wrote:
        > Hey, thanks, Lewis. Great timing on your post. You must've posted as
        > I was responding to Lon's message. I agree with you about Jane's
        > gaff rig. I prefer it to Ben's marconi. Does anyone have experience
        > with a wire luff main not attached all the way up the mast like
        > Ben's?

        One cat just leads to another.
        <Ernest Hemingway>
      • baycruiser54
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 4, 2005
          John -

          Thanks for your replies. This is the second time I have tried to
          post, the first time didn't work (at least yet), just to explain if
          two posts from me show up.

          Yes, this is exactly what I had in mind, re: putting EJ's cabin and
          interior on Ben, no other change but to make the deckhouse
          proportionally longer, and the galley-seating area, and that's it.

          EJ's cabin looks too good to mess up by making it taller. Standing
          headroom probably should not be a priority on so small a boat - just
          go on deck.

          Steve

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 16, 2005
            A cabin like Economy Jane's will probably look better on Ben than it does
            on Economy Jane. I think Billy and John went about as tall as they dared
            with Economy Jane's cabin. Ben's extra size should handle the same height
            more gracefully.

            Don't use up too much of the cockpit with the cabin, since you will be
            spending a lot of time outside.

            On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 22:06:53 -0000, you wrote:
            > Yes, this is exactly what I had in mind, re: putting EJ's cabin and
            > interior on Ben, no other change but to make the deckhouse
            > proportionally longer, and the galley-seating area, and that's it.
            >
            > EJ's cabin looks too good to mess up by making it taller. Standing
            > headroom probably should not be a priority on so small a boat - just
            > go on deck.

            I have never seen a situation so dismal
            that a policeman couldn't make it worse. <Brendan Behan>
          • baycruiser54
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 16, 2005
              John - I couldn't agree more. If I decide to go this routh, I will
              certainly do this (not enlarge the cabin too much at the expense of
              cockpit space). Thanks,
              Steve