Book Arrived

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 23, 2004
      John, Thanks for the info on Billy's book "Of Yachts and Men." It
      arrived today and I have not been able to put it down except for this
      email of thanks.. A book on the must read list.
      On another note, I've ordered the study plans for "Island Princess."
      I was very surprised to find steamed frames use for the hull
      on "Little Maid of Kent." Maybe the steel version of "Island
      Princess" will be more for me. That is unless John designed it with
      sawn-frames and did not mind using plywood in the hull.

      THANKS,

      SCOTT

      MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL !!!!
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2005
        Is it the steamed frames that scare you, or do you want to use plywood
        planking? Steaming frames isn't any big deal. Though I haven't yet tried it
        myself, the people I know who've steam bent frames say that rather than
        being scary, it's fun! <g> In a pinch, you could laminate the frames. Both
        Island Princess and Little Maid of Kent have curves in the sections, in the
        bottom and in the topsides, that'd make planking with plywood sheets
        impractical. They're both too large for trailering, so why do you want to
        use plywood?

        On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 14:27:51 -0000, Scott wrote:
        > On another note, I've ordered the study plans for "Island Princess."
        > I was very surprised to find steamed frames use for the hull
        > on "Little Maid of Kent." Maybe the steel version of "Island
        > Princess" will be more for me. That is unless John designed it with
        > sawn-frames and did not mind using plywood in the hull.

        Hanging is too good for a man who makes puns;
        he should be drawn and quoted. <Fred Allen>