Re: Ariel

  • dirtsailor2003
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 7, 2004
      David,

      Pictures and history are always good. She is beautifully taken care
      of. Any chance you have a bunch of free time and want to bring her
      to the Port Townsend Wooden Boat show next September! I know a short
      cut through Panama! I've been down the East Coast, once in the ditch
      and once outside. Curious where you sail, and some of your favorite
      ports of call. I would like to get back over there and go down the
      coast again. Maybe some day.

      Case

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dgerstel2003" <dgerstel@s...>
      wrote:

      > if anyone wants, i can post some photos, exterior and interior of
      > Ariel.
    • dgerstel2003
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 7, 2004
        Case,

        I think we will pass at this time on Port Townsend. We sail right
        now on the coast of Maine, out of Buck's Harbor between Belfast and
        Blue Hill. Its a beautiful crusing area with small anchorages and
        ports every few miles, depending on what you want. The water is
        deep, and aside from the fog in the middle summer, its a great place
        to sail and enjoy.
        Once i figure out how to send some photos I will be happy to post
        some interior shots as well. The boat was built by Red Nimphius in
        Neshkoro Wisconsin. A great builder, now deceased. He built the
        boat on a handshake. We did not launch for a few years after
        completion, but trucked it to Maine and commissioned it last year.
        Sails are by Nat Wilson in Boothbay.

        The boat displaces 30,000 pounds and is steady as a battleship going
        through seas. She sails well and has a tremendous amount of space
        below for her 32 foot waterline. We could not have asked for a
        better boat. She is presently looked after by Brion Rieff in
        Brooklin, Maine. If you, or anyone else is interested, they can
        contact me through the group and visit during the summer. It is
        true that they do not make them like this anymore.

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dirtsailor2003"
        <dirtsailor2003@y...> wrote:

        > David,
        >
        > Pictures and history are always good. She is beautifully taken
        care
        > of. Any chance you have a bunch of free time and want to bring her
        > to the Port Townsend Wooden Boat show next September! I know a
        short
        > cut through Panama! I've been down the East Coast, once in the
        ditch
        > and once outside. Curious where you sail, and some of your
        favorite
        > ports of call. I would like to get back over there and go down the
        > coast again. Maybe some day.
        >
        > Case
        >

        > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dgerstel2003" <dgerstel@s...>
        > wrote:
        > >

        > > if anyone wants, i can post some photos, exterior and interior
        of
        > > Ariel.
      • DirtSailor
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 7, 2004
          David,

          The furthest North I have been on that side is Rockport Mass. I have a good friend who has a lobster boat there. If I can take a vacation this year I would love to come up and see Ariel. With the work load I don't see it happenning. For now I will resort to my charts, have you ever thought of going north to Novia Scotia?

          Dirtsailor

        • dgerstel2003
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 8, 2004
            We do expect to go to Nova Scotia in the summer. Its a nice cruising
            area. But for now, with so many beautiful spots in Maine, that will
            be the center of our sailing.

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, DirtSailor <dirtsailor2003@y...>

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 8, 2004
              Welcome aboard David! Yes! Please do post some more photos of Ariel. The
              files section is much better than the photos section for them. If you can't
              figure out how to post the photos (it's really pretty easy) email them to me
              and I'll deal with them.

              On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 23:10:44 -0000, David wrote:

              > if anyone wants, i can post some photos, exterior and interior of
              > Ariel.

              In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful
              for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican. <H. L. Mencken>
            • dgerstel2003
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 8, 2004
                will do it tomorrow. i cannot figure some of this out.

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 11, 2004
                  I was curiuos, in my past boats I have always had a Dickinson stove,
                  for heat, and cooking. What is your galley arraingment?

                  Dirtsailor
                • dgerstel2003
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 22, 2004
                    we have a dickenson pacifica diesel stove with a tank for hot water.

                    in the galley we also have a icebox with freezer. across from the
                    galley is a large chart table. i went to see for a number of years
                    and like to be able to spread out paper.

                    david

                    <dirtsailor2003@y...> wrote:

                    > I was curiuos, in my past boats I have always had a Dickinson
                    stove,
                    > for heat, and cooking. What is your galley arraingment?
                    >
                    > Dirtsailor
                  • dgerstel2003
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 25, 2004
                      Just to wish everyone a happy holiday season and a good new year.

                      photos of Ariel are under files, sailboat pictures, submitted by
                      John.

                      David
                    • dgerstel2003
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 20, 2005
                        we have a dickenson pacifica. it seems to be quite adequate for
                        both cooking and heat.

                        of course, it is as old as the boat.

                        living in a time warp is pleasant.

                        david