Ariel

  • dgerstel2003
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 7, 2004
      My wife and I own Ariel. if you wish information, call during the
      day at 514 484 5543. I would be happy to provide information on the
      builder, the boat, our sailing and anything else that may be of
      interest. I will also be putting some messages on the group posts.
    • dirtsailor2003
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 7, 2004
        David,

        Pictures and history are always good. She is beautifully taken care
        of. Any chance you have a bunch of free time and want to bring her
        to the Port Townsend Wooden Boat show next September! I know a short
        cut through Panama! I've been down the East Coast, once in the ditch
        and once outside. Curious where you sail, and some of your favorite
        ports of call. I would like to get back over there and go down the
        coast again. Maybe some day.

        Case

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dgerstel2003" <dgerstel@s...>
        wrote:

        > if anyone wants, i can post some photos, exterior and interior of
        > Ariel.
      • dgerstel2003
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 7, 2004
          Case,

          I think we will pass at this time on Port Townsend. We sail right
          now on the coast of Maine, out of Buck's Harbor between Belfast and
          Blue Hill. Its a beautiful crusing area with small anchorages and
          ports every few miles, depending on what you want. The water is
          deep, and aside from the fog in the middle summer, its a great place
          to sail and enjoy.
          Once i figure out how to send some photos I will be happy to post
          some interior shots as well. The boat was built by Red Nimphius in
          Neshkoro Wisconsin. A great builder, now deceased. He built the
          boat on a handshake. We did not launch for a few years after
          completion, but trucked it to Maine and commissioned it last year.
          Sails are by Nat Wilson in Boothbay.

          The boat displaces 30,000 pounds and is steady as a battleship going
          through seas. She sails well and has a tremendous amount of space
          below for her 32 foot waterline. We could not have asked for a
          better boat. She is presently looked after by Brion Rieff in
          Brooklin, Maine. If you, or anyone else is interested, they can
          contact me through the group and visit during the summer. It is
          true that they do not make them like this anymore.

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dirtsailor2003"
          <dirtsailor2003@y...> wrote:

          > David,
          >
          > Pictures and history are always good. She is beautifully taken
          care
          > of. Any chance you have a bunch of free time and want to bring her
          > to the Port Townsend Wooden Boat show next September! I know a
          short
          > cut through Panama! I've been down the East Coast, once in the
          ditch
          > and once outside. Curious where you sail, and some of your
          favorite
          > ports of call. I would like to get back over there and go down the
          > coast again. Maybe some day.
          >
          > Case
          >

          > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dgerstel2003" <dgerstel@s...>
          > wrote:
          > >

          > > if anyone wants, i can post some photos, exterior and interior
          of
          > > Ariel.
        • DirtSailor
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 7, 2004
            David,

            The furthest North I have been on that side is Rockport Mass. I have a good friend who has a lobster boat there. If I can take a vacation this year I would love to come up and see Ariel. With the work load I don't see it happenning. For now I will resort to my charts, have you ever thought of going north to Novia Scotia?

            Dirtsailor

          • dgerstel2003
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 8, 2004
              We do expect to go to Nova Scotia in the summer. Its a nice cruising
              area. But for now, with so many beautiful spots in Maine, that will
              be the center of our sailing.

              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, DirtSailor <dirtsailor2003@y...>

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 8, 2004
                Welcome aboard David! Yes! Please do post some more photos of Ariel. The
                files section is much better than the photos section for them. If you can't
                figure out how to post the photos (it's really pretty easy) email them to me
                and I'll deal with them.

                On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 23:10:44 -0000, David wrote:

                > if anyone wants, i can post some photos, exterior and interior of
                > Ariel.

                In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful
                for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican. <H. L. Mencken>
              • dgerstel2003
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 8, 2004
                  will do it tomorrow. i cannot figure some of this out.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 11, 2004
                    I was curiuos, in my past boats I have always had a Dickinson stove,
                    for heat, and cooking. What is your galley arraingment?

                    Dirtsailor
                  • dgerstel2003
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 22, 2004
                      we have a dickenson pacifica diesel stove with a tank for hot water.

                      in the galley we also have a icebox with freezer. across from the
                      galley is a large chart table. i went to see for a number of years
                      and like to be able to spread out paper.

                      david

                      <dirtsailor2003@y...> wrote:

                      > I was curiuos, in my past boats I have always had a Dickinson
                      stove,
                      > for heat, and cooking. What is your galley arraingment?
                      >
                      > Dirtsailor
                    • dgerstel2003
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 25, 2004
                        Just to wish everyone a happy holiday season and a good new year.

                        photos of Ariel are under files, sailboat pictures, submitted by
                        John.

                        David
                      • dgerstel2003
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 20, 2005
                          we have a dickenson pacifica. it seems to be quite adequate for
                          both cooking and heat.

                          of course, it is as old as the boat.

                          living in a time warp is pleasant.

                          david