Ariel

  • dgerstel2003
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 7, 2004
      My wife and I own Ariel. if you wish information, call during the
      day at 514 484 5543. I would be happy to provide information on the
      builder, the boat, our sailing and anything else that may be of
      interest. I will also be putting some messages on the group posts.
    • dgerstel2003
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 7, 2004
        if anyone wants, i can post some photos, exterior and interior of
        Ariel.
      • dirtsailor2003
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 7, 2004
          David,

          Pictures and history are always good. She is beautifully taken care
          of. Any chance you have a bunch of free time and want to bring her
          to the Port Townsend Wooden Boat show next September! I know a short
          cut through Panama! I've been down the East Coast, once in the ditch
          and once outside. Curious where you sail, and some of your favorite
          ports of call. I would like to get back over there and go down the
          coast again. Maybe some day.

          Case

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dgerstel2003" <dgerstel@s...>
          wrote:

          > if anyone wants, i can post some photos, exterior and interior of
          > Ariel.
        • dgerstel2003
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 7, 2004
            Case,

            I think we will pass at this time on Port Townsend. We sail right
            now on the coast of Maine, out of Buck's Harbor between Belfast and
            Blue Hill. Its a beautiful crusing area with small anchorages and
            ports every few miles, depending on what you want. The water is
            deep, and aside from the fog in the middle summer, its a great place
            to sail and enjoy.
            Once i figure out how to send some photos I will be happy to post
            some interior shots as well. The boat was built by Red Nimphius in
            Neshkoro Wisconsin. A great builder, now deceased. He built the
            boat on a handshake. We did not launch for a few years after
            completion, but trucked it to Maine and commissioned it last year.
            Sails are by Nat Wilson in Boothbay.

            The boat displaces 30,000 pounds and is steady as a battleship going
            through seas. She sails well and has a tremendous amount of space
            below for her 32 foot waterline. We could not have asked for a
            better boat. She is presently looked after by Brion Rieff in
            Brooklin, Maine. If you, or anyone else is interested, they can
            contact me through the group and visit during the summer. It is
            true that they do not make them like this anymore.

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dirtsailor2003"
            <dirtsailor2003@y...> wrote:

            > David,
            >
            > Pictures and history are always good. She is beautifully taken
            care
            > of. Any chance you have a bunch of free time and want to bring her
            > to the Port Townsend Wooden Boat show next September! I know a
            short
            > cut through Panama! I've been down the East Coast, once in the
            ditch
            > and once outside. Curious where you sail, and some of your
            favorite
            > ports of call. I would like to get back over there and go down the
            > coast again. Maybe some day.
            >
            > Case
            >

            > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dgerstel2003" <dgerstel@s...>
            > wrote:
            > >

            > > if anyone wants, i can post some photos, exterior and interior
            of
            > > Ariel.
          • DirtSailor
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 7, 2004
              David,

              The furthest North I have been on that side is Rockport Mass. I have a good friend who has a lobster boat there. If I can take a vacation this year I would love to come up and see Ariel. With the work load I don't see it happenning. For now I will resort to my charts, have you ever thought of going north to Novia Scotia?

              Dirtsailor

            • dgerstel2003
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 8, 2004
                We do expect to go to Nova Scotia in the summer. Its a nice cruising
                area. But for now, with so many beautiful spots in Maine, that will
                be the center of our sailing.

                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, DirtSailor <dirtsailor2003@y...>

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 8, 2004
                  Welcome aboard David! Yes! Please do post some more photos of Ariel. The
                  files section is much better than the photos section for them. If you can't
                  figure out how to post the photos (it's really pretty easy) email them to me
                  and I'll deal with them.

                  On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 23:10:44 -0000, David wrote:

                  > if anyone wants, i can post some photos, exterior and interior of
                  > Ariel.

                  In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful
                  for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican. <H. L. Mencken>
                • dgerstel2003
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 8, 2004
                    will do it tomorrow. i cannot figure some of this out.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 11, 2004
                      I was curiuos, in my past boats I have always had a Dickinson stove,
                      for heat, and cooking. What is your galley arraingment?

                      Dirtsailor
                    • dgerstel2003
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 22, 2004
                        we have a dickenson pacifica diesel stove with a tank for hot water.

                        in the galley we also have a icebox with freezer. across from the
                        galley is a large chart table. i went to see for a number of years
                        and like to be able to spread out paper.

                        david

                        <dirtsailor2003@y...> wrote:

                        > I was curiuos, in my past boats I have always had a Dickinson
                        stove,
                        > for heat, and cooking. What is your galley arraingment?
                        >
                        > Dirtsailor
                      • dgerstel2003
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 25, 2004
                          Just to wish everyone a happy holiday season and a good new year.

                          photos of Ariel are under files, sailboat pictures, submitted by
                          John.

                          David
                        • dgerstel2003
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 20, 2005
                            we have a dickenson pacifica. it seems to be quite adequate for
                            both cooking and heat.

                            of course, it is as old as the boat.

                            living in a time warp is pleasant.

                            david