Re: [AtkinBoats] Trim

  • DirtSailor
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 7, 2004
      Yes Much needed break from Stich and goo. Yeap a Messabout in this neck of the woods would be great. Lots of lakes to choose from. John you wouldn't even have to drive by any Megatropolis'. Lake Billy does get alot of traffic in the summer. But there is lots of water too. Cultus is another good lake for sailing. However this time of year the road to get there is closed.

      Dirtsailor

    • dirtsailor2003
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 8, 2004
        I was looking over the plans and I am still amazed at how crisp they
        are. I work in the business of providing documents like this, and
        even our prints, that are generated via computer aren't always this
        easy to read. The plans are Almost 67 years old and around wow! I am
        taking them in tommorrow to be laminated. Something I learned to do
        while in the coastal construction trades. Set of plans won't last
        but a day in the rain. Not that I am going to be building this boat
        in the rain, but all my drooling might cause some damage.

        John had asked how I was going to cope with keeping Trim on a
        trailer. I am going to stray a bit from the plans, I know I know. I
        plan on using a technique that William Garden used on Tom-Cat,
        featured in WoodenBoat #176, Jan/Feb 2004. Instead of caulking the
        seams, I will use thickened epoxy in the and cover the bottom with
        glass. Except for that change I plan to not stray any further from
        the plans.

        Dirtsailor
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 12, 2004
          Ack! <making the sign of a cross with my fingers and pointing it east
          towards Bend> ;o) Actually, that doesn't sound like a bad idea for a boat
          that's going to live on a trailer, except for having to work with all that
          nasty goop. It seems like a relatively easy way to adapt some of the
          traditional round-bottom designs to modern requirements -- a lot less
          tedious than strip planking or cold-molding. But I'm not so sure if it's a
          good idea for a boat that will live in the water most of the time (doesn't
          Bill Garden have a hoist on his island so his catboat doesn't sit in the
          water all the time?). Fiberglass and epoxy aren't entirely waterproof, so if
          a boat sits in the water a long time, the wood is going to start expanding,
          and that's probably not good with a rigid skin around it!

          On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 02:01:15 -0000, Case wrote:
          > John had asked how I was going to cope with keeping Trim on a
          > trailer. I am going to stray a bit from the plans, I know I know. I
          > plan on using a technique that William Garden used on Tom-Cat,
          > featured in WoodenBoat #176, Jan/Feb 2004. Instead of caulking the
          > seams, I will use thickened epoxy in the and cover the bottom with
          > glass. Except for that change I plan to not stray any further from
          > the plans.

          What is more pleasant than a friendly little yacht, a long stretch of
          smooth water, a gentle breeze, the stars? <Billy Atkin>