Re: [AtkinBoats] Trim

  • DirtSailor
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 6, 2004
      Trim???,

      Well when I get the other projects out of the way, and finally get started, & finished my plan is to moor trim. I really would like to put her up in the Puget Sound, but then there is that whole neglect thing. So here in Dirtland, I will moor her at Lake Billy Chinook, always good wind in the afternoons, you do have to put up with the 30 foot wake makers, and the jet skis. This time of year there isn't much activity makes for nice lazy, cold days. I do plan on putting in a dickinson stove for heat. Whisch this morning we got our first real snow. Couple inches on the ground and still piling up!

      John as soon as I have some 3d stuff I will send some pics. Will probably be sometime after the big holiday shuffle.

      Dirtsailor

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 6, 2004
        Well Dirt, as far as puttin' up with the jetskis is concerned, there is no place without them these days. Alas.

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 7, 2004
          I didn't know there were moorings at Lake Billy Chinook. I've never been
          there, for some reason the mention of the name brings visions of speedboats
          and houseboats into my head... I guess we'll have to have a messabout over
          there to see your Trim in action. <g>

          But if your Trim is going to live in the water, not on a trailer, that means
          you can build her the right way, with cedar planking and bent oak ribs. :o)
          That should be a real nice break from all the stitch 'n' goo building you've
          been doing!

          On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 07:30:39 -0800 (PST), Case wrote:
          > Well when I get the other projects out of the way, and finally get
          started, & finished my plan is to moor trim. I really would like to put her
          up in the Puget Sound, but then there is that whole neglect thing. So here
          in Dirtland, I will moor her at Lake Billy Chinook, always good wind in the
          afternoons, you do have to put up with the 30 foot wake makers, and the jet
          skis.

          After all, all he did was string together a lot of old,
          well-known quotations. <H. L. Mencken on Shakespeare>
        • DirtSailor
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 7, 2004
            Yes Much needed break from Stich and goo. Yeap a Messabout in this neck of the woods would be great. Lots of lakes to choose from. John you wouldn't even have to drive by any Megatropolis'. Lake Billy does get alot of traffic in the summer. But there is lots of water too. Cultus is another good lake for sailing. However this time of year the road to get there is closed.

            Dirtsailor

          • dirtsailor2003
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 8, 2004
              I was looking over the plans and I am still amazed at how crisp they
              are. I work in the business of providing documents like this, and
              even our prints, that are generated via computer aren't always this
              easy to read. The plans are Almost 67 years old and around wow! I am
              taking them in tommorrow to be laminated. Something I learned to do
              while in the coastal construction trades. Set of plans won't last
              but a day in the rain. Not that I am going to be building this boat
              in the rain, but all my drooling might cause some damage.

              John had asked how I was going to cope with keeping Trim on a
              trailer. I am going to stray a bit from the plans, I know I know. I
              plan on using a technique that William Garden used on Tom-Cat,
              featured in WoodenBoat #176, Jan/Feb 2004. Instead of caulking the
              seams, I will use thickened epoxy in the and cover the bottom with
              glass. Except for that change I plan to not stray any further from
              the plans.

              Dirtsailor
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 12, 2004
                Ack! <making the sign of a cross with my fingers and pointing it east
                towards Bend> ;o) Actually, that doesn't sound like a bad idea for a boat
                that's going to live on a trailer, except for having to work with all that
                nasty goop. It seems like a relatively easy way to adapt some of the
                traditional round-bottom designs to modern requirements -- a lot less
                tedious than strip planking or cold-molding. But I'm not so sure if it's a
                good idea for a boat that will live in the water most of the time (doesn't
                Bill Garden have a hoist on his island so his catboat doesn't sit in the
                water all the time?). Fiberglass and epoxy aren't entirely waterproof, so if
                a boat sits in the water a long time, the wood is going to start expanding,
                and that's probably not good with a rigid skin around it!

                On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 02:01:15 -0000, Case wrote:
                > John had asked how I was going to cope with keeping Trim on a
                > trailer. I am going to stray a bit from the plans, I know I know. I
                > plan on using a technique that William Garden used on Tom-Cat,
                > featured in WoodenBoat #176, Jan/Feb 2004. Instead of caulking the
                > seams, I will use thickened epoxy in the and cover the bottom with
                > glass. Except for that change I plan to not stray any further from
                > the plans.

                What is more pleasant than a friendly little yacht, a long stretch of
                smooth water, a gentle breeze, the stars? <Billy Atkin>