Re: [AtkinBoats] Trim

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 6, 2004
      I'm looking forward to seeing those renderings. Maybe I can use them in the
      Atkin pages. Of course by this time next year we'll have photos of
      Dirtsailer's Trim in action too! <g>

      Dirt lives in a pretty dry part of the country, about 190 miles from the
      nearest ocean and about 100 miles from the nearest navigable river (the
      Columbia). There are lakes nearer, but not much in the way of permanent
      moorings. How are you going to cope with keeping Trim on a trailer, Case? Or
      are you going to leave her at the coast or on the Columbia?

      Trim is a beauty! Wm. Atkin really caught what makes a catboat look like a
      catboat. I'm sure looking forward to seeing her in person at a messabout.
      Good luck with the project!

      On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 00:13:49 -0000, Case wrote:

      > Well, I just can't wait to loft until spring, so I started lofting
      > her up on the computer. I am a design associate at a residential
      > design firm, the program that we use will also allow me to render a
      > 3d model when I am done!
      > I will post some 3d rendering jpegs when I get to that stage.
      >
      > Dirtsailor

      The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can
      be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.
      <Elizabeth Taylor>
    • DirtSailor
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 6, 2004
        Trim???,

        Well when I get the other projects out of the way, and finally get started, & finished my plan is to moor trim. I really would like to put her up in the Puget Sound, but then there is that whole neglect thing. So here in Dirtland, I will moor her at Lake Billy Chinook, always good wind in the afternoons, you do have to put up with the 30 foot wake makers, and the jet skis. This time of year there isn't much activity makes for nice lazy, cold days. I do plan on putting in a dickinson stove for heat. Whisch this morning we got our first real snow. Couple inches on the ground and still piling up!

        John as soon as I have some 3d stuff I will send some pics. Will probably be sometime after the big holiday shuffle.

        Dirtsailor

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 6, 2004
          Well Dirt, as far as puttin' up with the jetskis is concerned, there is no place without them these days. Alas.

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 7, 2004
            I didn't know there were moorings at Lake Billy Chinook. I've never been
            there, for some reason the mention of the name brings visions of speedboats
            and houseboats into my head... I guess we'll have to have a messabout over
            there to see your Trim in action. <g>

            But if your Trim is going to live in the water, not on a trailer, that means
            you can build her the right way, with cedar planking and bent oak ribs. :o)
            That should be a real nice break from all the stitch 'n' goo building you've
            been doing!

            On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 07:30:39 -0800 (PST), Case wrote:
            > Well when I get the other projects out of the way, and finally get
            started, & finished my plan is to moor trim. I really would like to put her
            up in the Puget Sound, but then there is that whole neglect thing. So here
            in Dirtland, I will moor her at Lake Billy Chinook, always good wind in the
            afternoons, you do have to put up with the 30 foot wake makers, and the jet
            skis.

            After all, all he did was string together a lot of old,
            well-known quotations. <H. L. Mencken on Shakespeare>
          • DirtSailor
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 7, 2004
              Yes Much needed break from Stich and goo. Yeap a Messabout in this neck of the woods would be great. Lots of lakes to choose from. John you wouldn't even have to drive by any Megatropolis'. Lake Billy does get alot of traffic in the summer. But there is lots of water too. Cultus is another good lake for sailing. However this time of year the road to get there is closed.

              Dirtsailor

            • dirtsailor2003
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 8, 2004
                I was looking over the plans and I am still amazed at how crisp they
                are. I work in the business of providing documents like this, and
                even our prints, that are generated via computer aren't always this
                easy to read. The plans are Almost 67 years old and around wow! I am
                taking them in tommorrow to be laminated. Something I learned to do
                while in the coastal construction trades. Set of plans won't last
                but a day in the rain. Not that I am going to be building this boat
                in the rain, but all my drooling might cause some damage.

                John had asked how I was going to cope with keeping Trim on a
                trailer. I am going to stray a bit from the plans, I know I know. I
                plan on using a technique that William Garden used on Tom-Cat,
                featured in WoodenBoat #176, Jan/Feb 2004. Instead of caulking the
                seams, I will use thickened epoxy in the and cover the bottom with
                glass. Except for that change I plan to not stray any further from
                the plans.

                Dirtsailor
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 12, 2004
                  Ack! <making the sign of a cross with my fingers and pointing it east
                  towards Bend> ;o) Actually, that doesn't sound like a bad idea for a boat
                  that's going to live on a trailer, except for having to work with all that
                  nasty goop. It seems like a relatively easy way to adapt some of the
                  traditional round-bottom designs to modern requirements -- a lot less
                  tedious than strip planking or cold-molding. But I'm not so sure if it's a
                  good idea for a boat that will live in the water most of the time (doesn't
                  Bill Garden have a hoist on his island so his catboat doesn't sit in the
                  water all the time?). Fiberglass and epoxy aren't entirely waterproof, so if
                  a boat sits in the water a long time, the wood is going to start expanding,
                  and that's probably not good with a rigid skin around it!

                  On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 02:01:15 -0000, Case wrote:
                  > John had asked how I was going to cope with keeping Trim on a
                  > trailer. I am going to stray a bit from the plans, I know I know. I
                  > plan on using a technique that William Garden used on Tom-Cat,
                  > featured in WoodenBoat #176, Jan/Feb 2004. Instead of caulking the
                  > seams, I will use thickened epoxy in the and cover the bottom with
                  > glass. Except for that change I plan to not stray any further from
                  > the plans.

                  What is more pleasant than a friendly little yacht, a long stretch of
                  smooth water, a gentle breeze, the stars? <Billy Atkin>