Trim

  • dirtsailor2003
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
      Well, I just can't wait to loft until spring, so I started lofting
      her up on the computer. I am a design associate at a residential
      design firm, the program that we use will also allow me to render a
      3d model when I am done! We currently draft all our house plans in 3d
      (every hanger, stud, joist, etc). That way we know they can be built
      before the plans go out the door. I plan on doing this with Trim
      too. The planks will be a trick as the program does not allow 3d
      arcs, unless done in segments. Anyways enough of that. I will post
      some 3d rendering jpegs when I get to that stage.

      Dirtsailor
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 6, 2004
        I'm looking forward to seeing those renderings. Maybe I can use them in the
        Atkin pages. Of course by this time next year we'll have photos of
        Dirtsailer's Trim in action too! <g>

        Dirt lives in a pretty dry part of the country, about 190 miles from the
        nearest ocean and about 100 miles from the nearest navigable river (the
        Columbia). There are lakes nearer, but not much in the way of permanent
        moorings. How are you going to cope with keeping Trim on a trailer, Case? Or
        are you going to leave her at the coast or on the Columbia?

        Trim is a beauty! Wm. Atkin really caught what makes a catboat look like a
        catboat. I'm sure looking forward to seeing her in person at a messabout.
        Good luck with the project!

        On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 00:13:49 -0000, Case wrote:

        > Well, I just can't wait to loft until spring, so I started lofting
        > her up on the computer. I am a design associate at a residential
        > design firm, the program that we use will also allow me to render a
        > 3d model when I am done!
        > I will post some 3d rendering jpegs when I get to that stage.
        >
        > Dirtsailor

        The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can
        be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.
        <Elizabeth Taylor>
      • DirtSailor
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 6, 2004
          Trim???,

          Well when I get the other projects out of the way, and finally get started, & finished my plan is to moor trim. I really would like to put her up in the Puget Sound, but then there is that whole neglect thing. So here in Dirtland, I will moor her at Lake Billy Chinook, always good wind in the afternoons, you do have to put up with the 30 foot wake makers, and the jet skis. This time of year there isn't much activity makes for nice lazy, cold days. I do plan on putting in a dickinson stove for heat. Whisch this morning we got our first real snow. Couple inches on the ground and still piling up!

          John as soon as I have some 3d stuff I will send some pics. Will probably be sometime after the big holiday shuffle.

          Dirtsailor

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 6, 2004
            Well Dirt, as far as puttin' up with the jetskis is concerned, there is no place without them these days. Alas.

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 7, 2004
              I didn't know there were moorings at Lake Billy Chinook. I've never been
              there, for some reason the mention of the name brings visions of speedboats
              and houseboats into my head... I guess we'll have to have a messabout over
              there to see your Trim in action. <g>

              But if your Trim is going to live in the water, not on a trailer, that means
              you can build her the right way, with cedar planking and bent oak ribs. :o)
              That should be a real nice break from all the stitch 'n' goo building you've
              been doing!

              On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 07:30:39 -0800 (PST), Case wrote:
              > Well when I get the other projects out of the way, and finally get
              started, & finished my plan is to moor trim. I really would like to put her
              up in the Puget Sound, but then there is that whole neglect thing. So here
              in Dirtland, I will moor her at Lake Billy Chinook, always good wind in the
              afternoons, you do have to put up with the 30 foot wake makers, and the jet
              skis.

              After all, all he did was string together a lot of old,
              well-known quotations. <H. L. Mencken on Shakespeare>
            • DirtSailor
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 7, 2004
                Yes Much needed break from Stich and goo. Yeap a Messabout in this neck of the woods would be great. Lots of lakes to choose from. John you wouldn't even have to drive by any Megatropolis'. Lake Billy does get alot of traffic in the summer. But there is lots of water too. Cultus is another good lake for sailing. However this time of year the road to get there is closed.

                Dirtsailor

              • dirtsailor2003
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 8, 2004
                  I was looking over the plans and I am still amazed at how crisp they
                  are. I work in the business of providing documents like this, and
                  even our prints, that are generated via computer aren't always this
                  easy to read. The plans are Almost 67 years old and around wow! I am
                  taking them in tommorrow to be laminated. Something I learned to do
                  while in the coastal construction trades. Set of plans won't last
                  but a day in the rain. Not that I am going to be building this boat
                  in the rain, but all my drooling might cause some damage.

                  John had asked how I was going to cope with keeping Trim on a
                  trailer. I am going to stray a bit from the plans, I know I know. I
                  plan on using a technique that William Garden used on Tom-Cat,
                  featured in WoodenBoat #176, Jan/Feb 2004. Instead of caulking the
                  seams, I will use thickened epoxy in the and cover the bottom with
                  glass. Except for that change I plan to not stray any further from
                  the plans.

                  Dirtsailor
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 12, 2004
                    Ack! <making the sign of a cross with my fingers and pointing it east
                    towards Bend> ;o) Actually, that doesn't sound like a bad idea for a boat
                    that's going to live on a trailer, except for having to work with all that
                    nasty goop. It seems like a relatively easy way to adapt some of the
                    traditional round-bottom designs to modern requirements -- a lot less
                    tedious than strip planking or cold-molding. But I'm not so sure if it's a
                    good idea for a boat that will live in the water most of the time (doesn't
                    Bill Garden have a hoist on his island so his catboat doesn't sit in the
                    water all the time?). Fiberglass and epoxy aren't entirely waterproof, so if
                    a boat sits in the water a long time, the wood is going to start expanding,
                    and that's probably not good with a rigid skin around it!

                    On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 02:01:15 -0000, Case wrote:
                    > John had asked how I was going to cope with keeping Trim on a
                    > trailer. I am going to stray a bit from the plans, I know I know. I
                    > plan on using a technique that William Garden used on Tom-Cat,
                    > featured in WoodenBoat #176, Jan/Feb 2004. Instead of caulking the
                    > seams, I will use thickened epoxy in the and cover the bottom with
                    > glass. Except for that change I plan to not stray any further from
                    > the plans.

                    What is more pleasant than a friendly little yacht, a long stretch of
                    smooth water, a gentle breeze, the stars? <Billy Atkin>