Ben Bow

  • Joe Othello
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2004
      Does anyone know if this boat is still available to take on as a project or
      did it go to the breakers?

      Joe
    • Bruce Elfstrom
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 22, 2004
        OK, I had a chance with a shipwright (Richard Fewtrell) to have a
        good look at Ben Bow. Richard says to rebuild/restore/recreate her
        he would charge about $50-60,000 for labor and $25,000 for
        materials. He would save as much as possible as long as it is worthy
        of it. What would be done is: new keel, planking, frames, deck
        beams, deck (Douglas fir with canvas or dinel and glass), cabin,
        cockpit, rudder etc---fastenings would be bronze with planking of
        cedar (or ?) and frames of oak. The result would be that Ben Bow
        would be as good as new without an interior, sails, or an engine.
        her old rig, hardware, some dead wood, stern post, ballast---as much
        old as can be and what the owner wants within reason and safety. It
        would cost about $2000 to strengthen her and move her to the shop in
        East Haddam CT.

        So Ben Bow in new condition for about $75,000 and the owner could
        install the engine and build the interior since the original plans
        would come with the boat. These numbers are not a true quote of
        course---they would flux 15% either way as any restoration would.

        To build this boat new from the plans-- I have numbers in and around
        the $240,000 from good shipwrights/boat builders in New England.
        This is fully complete with engine, interior, sails, etc. Nothing
        fancy bellow nor crazy priced woods---just good classic boat
        construction. The old hardware would go into the new boat as long as
        there is a guarantee it goes into Ben Bow without changes to the
        plans.

        so if you are interested let me know and I will do my best to help
        move her, and keep tabs on the work. If Mr. Fewtrell was to do it, I
        can keep a close eye on the work---take progress photos, etc. If
        Gannon and Benjamin were to it would be a bit more difficult. Mr.
        Fewtrell estimates he could start June 05 and finish by May 06.
        Gannon and Benjamin (or anyone else) have not yet been asked
        explicitly although they are familiar and interested in the project. -
        --I could call them if someone is interested.

        Cheers, Bruce
        WBRF