lofting on floor

  • lon wells
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2004
      When I worked in the mold loft at Todd Pacific Shipyard in Seattle there was a beauty to the floor with the lines that I would consider a art form. I always thought it would be great to lay down the lines of a vessel in a family room and then cover them with clear polyurathane floor paint.
      Lon

      dirtsailor2003 <dirtsailor2003@...> wrote:

      Ahoy,

      Much to my Holiday surprise, waiting for me amongst the Holiday
      bills, was an envelope from Atkin Boat Plans today. Mind you I have
      been drooling over them for several hours. If it was warm enough,
      and I didn't have four boats covering my shop floor, I would have
      been out there with my white lofting paint covering the floor. But
      as things are now I am sure that will take place next summer. Giving
      me ample time to tear out the carpet in my house and loft things up
      there. That might considerably add to the price of the project.
      Speaking of which as I read through the how to build article at the
      very end it stated " Trim can be built exactly as
      specified...$675.00 complete with sails, rigging, etc....."

      Now if only I could transport myself back in time!!

      Dirtsailor

      <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Joe Othello
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2004
        Does anyone know if this boat is still available to take on as a project or
        did it go to the breakers?

        Joe
      • Bruce Elfstrom
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 22, 2004
          OK, I had a chance with a shipwright (Richard Fewtrell) to have a
          good look at Ben Bow. Richard says to rebuild/restore/recreate her
          he would charge about $50-60,000 for labor and $25,000 for
          materials. He would save as much as possible as long as it is worthy
          of it. What would be done is: new keel, planking, frames, deck
          beams, deck (Douglas fir with canvas or dinel and glass), cabin,
          cockpit, rudder etc---fastenings would be bronze with planking of
          cedar (or ?) and frames of oak. The result would be that Ben Bow
          would be as good as new without an interior, sails, or an engine.
          her old rig, hardware, some dead wood, stern post, ballast---as much
          old as can be and what the owner wants within reason and safety. It
          would cost about $2000 to strengthen her and move her to the shop in
          East Haddam CT.

          So Ben Bow in new condition for about $75,000 and the owner could
          install the engine and build the interior since the original plans
          would come with the boat. These numbers are not a true quote of
          course---they would flux 15% either way as any restoration would.

          To build this boat new from the plans-- I have numbers in and around
          the $240,000 from good shipwrights/boat builders in New England.
          This is fully complete with engine, interior, sails, etc. Nothing
          fancy bellow nor crazy priced woods---just good classic boat
          construction. The old hardware would go into the new boat as long as
          there is a guarantee it goes into Ben Bow without changes to the
          plans.

          so if you are interested let me know and I will do my best to help
          move her, and keep tabs on the work. If Mr. Fewtrell was to do it, I
          can keep a close eye on the work---take progress photos, etc. If
          Gannon and Benjamin were to it would be a bit more difficult. Mr.
          Fewtrell estimates he could start June 05 and finish by May 06.
          Gannon and Benjamin (or anyone else) have not yet been asked
          explicitly although they are familiar and interested in the project. -
          --I could call them if someone is interested.

          Cheers, Bruce
          WBRF