Trim plans have arrived!!

  • dirtsailor2003
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2004
      Ahoy,

      Much to my Holiday surprise, waiting for me amongst the Holiday
      bills, was an envelope from Atkin Boat Plans today. Mind you I have
      been drooling over them for several hours. If it was warm enough,
      and I didn't have four boats covering my shop floor, I would have
      been out there with my white lofting paint covering the floor. But
      as things are now I am sure that will take place next summer. Giving
      me ample time to tear out the carpet in my house and loft things up
      there. That might considerably add to the price of the project.
      Speaking of which as I read through the how to build article at the
      very end it stated " Trim can be built exactly as
      specified...$675.00 complete with sails, rigging, etc....."

      Now if only I could transport myself back in time!!

      Dirtsailor
    • lon wells
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 29, 2004
        When I worked in the mold loft at Todd Pacific Shipyard in Seattle there was a beauty to the floor with the lines that I would consider a art form. I always thought it would be great to lay down the lines of a vessel in a family room and then cover them with clear polyurathane floor paint.
        Lon

        dirtsailor2003 <dirtsailor2003@...> wrote:

        Ahoy,

        Much to my Holiday surprise, waiting for me amongst the Holiday
        bills, was an envelope from Atkin Boat Plans today. Mind you I have
        been drooling over them for several hours. If it was warm enough,
        and I didn't have four boats covering my shop floor, I would have
        been out there with my white lofting paint covering the floor. But
        as things are now I am sure that will take place next summer. Giving
        me ample time to tear out the carpet in my house and loft things up
        there. That might considerably add to the price of the project.
        Speaking of which as I read through the how to build article at the
        very end it stated " Trim can be built exactly as
        specified...$675.00 complete with sails, rigging, etc....."

        Now if only I could transport myself back in time!!

        Dirtsailor

        <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Joe Othello
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2004
          Does anyone know if this boat is still available to take on as a project or
          did it go to the breakers?

          Joe
        • Bruce Elfstrom
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 22, 2004
            OK, I had a chance with a shipwright (Richard Fewtrell) to have a
            good look at Ben Bow. Richard says to rebuild/restore/recreate her
            he would charge about $50-60,000 for labor and $25,000 for
            materials. He would save as much as possible as long as it is worthy
            of it. What would be done is: new keel, planking, frames, deck
            beams, deck (Douglas fir with canvas or dinel and glass), cabin,
            cockpit, rudder etc---fastenings would be bronze with planking of
            cedar (or ?) and frames of oak. The result would be that Ben Bow
            would be as good as new without an interior, sails, or an engine.
            her old rig, hardware, some dead wood, stern post, ballast---as much
            old as can be and what the owner wants within reason and safety. It
            would cost about $2000 to strengthen her and move her to the shop in
            East Haddam CT.

            So Ben Bow in new condition for about $75,000 and the owner could
            install the engine and build the interior since the original plans
            would come with the boat. These numbers are not a true quote of
            course---they would flux 15% either way as any restoration would.

            To build this boat new from the plans-- I have numbers in and around
            the $240,000 from good shipwrights/boat builders in New England.
            This is fully complete with engine, interior, sails, etc. Nothing
            fancy bellow nor crazy priced woods---just good classic boat
            construction. The old hardware would go into the new boat as long as
            there is a guarantee it goes into Ben Bow without changes to the
            plans.

            so if you are interested let me know and I will do my best to help
            move her, and keep tabs on the work. If Mr. Fewtrell was to do it, I
            can keep a close eye on the work---take progress photos, etc. If
            Gannon and Benjamin were to it would be a bit more difficult. Mr.
            Fewtrell estimates he could start June 05 and finish by May 06.
            Gannon and Benjamin (or anyone else) have not yet been asked
            explicitly although they are familiar and interested in the project. -
            --I could call them if someone is interested.

            Cheers, Bruce
            WBRF