RE: [AtkinBoats] Re: Boat Festival Pix

  • terry lesh
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 28, 2004
      I have been at the helm, and helped man the sails on the Adventuress in 25 - 30 knot winds. The amount of power, and the sound of it all working is truely awsome! A few years ago my wife and I had the opportunity to crew on her for a week in the San Jauns. There were about 20 people on board and we were all busy.

      Terry Lesh

      eparker@...> wrote:
      Well, now that I've looked at the right group of photos, they are a great
      collection, although the potential fate of the sloop that went aground was
      horrifying. Glad it turned out OK. Looked like it was blowing pretty good
      that day.

      I'll say this about Adventuress...so looks like she could stretch out and
      go. I'd love to have a trick at the wheel when the wind is a bit aft and
      blowing about 20.

      It is comforting that other people have far more varnishing to do than I do.

      Great pictures of Ceridwen, John, would love to link to them from my site
      for the Maid of Kent page...
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 5, 2004
        An event like that is a great motivation. Around here the Depoe Bay Wooden
        Boat Festival at the end of April is the spur to get those winter projects
        done.

        The trouble with the PT festival is that it's towards the end of the best
        sailing season, so your boat is getting dirty and beat up and so you don't
        want to put it in the show for people to get a good look at. ;o)

        Next year I'll remind people on this list that a bunch of us boat nuts meet
        Saturday morning for brunch and boat talk at the PT festival.

        On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 18:28:38 -0000, Andrew wrote:

        > Great pictures, John! I think I'll go to that show next year. Maybe
        > I'll have Elon Jessup to bring along. Now there's a motivating thought.
        > Andrew Harvey

        Heaven, as conventionally conceived, is a place so inane, so dull,
        so useless, so miserable, that nobody has ever ventured to describe
        a whole day in heaven, though plenty of people have described
        a day at the seashore. <G. B. Shaw>
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 5, 2004
          At least two fiberglass boats weren't as lucky as the sloop that came ashore
          near Sirens. They hit the rock riprap over by the ferry slip. One got pulled
          off Friday night -- it floated anyway -- but the other got a big hole in it
          and had to be patched up before they could get it off.

          For a limited time, I've got some other photos available of Adventuress and
          some of an Adirondack guide boat with an out-of-practice oarswomen in it
          Friday afternoon (taken by a fellow from Adirondack Guide Boat dot com):

          http://www.boat-links.com/images/Adventuress/Adventuress-2.jpg

          http://www.boat-links.com/images/Adventuress/Adventuress-3.jpg

          http://www.boat-links.com/images/Adventuress/Adventuress-4.jpg

          http://www.boat-links.com/images/Adventuress/Adventuress-4A.jpg

          http://www.boat-links.com/images/Adventuress/Adventuress-5.jpg

          http://www.boat-links.com/images/Mikalia01.jpg

          http://www.boat-links.com/images/Mikalia02.jpg

          http://www.boat-links.com/images/Mikalia03.jpg

          Bill- I'll mail you a CD with a bunch of pictures of Ceridwen. I took a ton
          of them! <g>

          On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 11:31:35 -0500, Bill wrote:

          > Well, now that I've looked at the right group of photos, they are a great
          > collection, although the potential fate of the sloop that went aground was
          > horrifying. Glad it turned out OK. Looked like it was blowing pretty
          good
          > that day.
          >
          > I'll say this about Adventuress...so looks like she could stretch out and
          > go. I'd love to have a trick at the wheel when the wind is a bit aft and
          > blowing about 20.
          >
          > It is comforting that other people have far more varnishing to do than I
          do.

          > Great pictures of Ceridwen, John, would love to link to them from my site
          > for the Maid of Kent page...

          Show me a man who has enjoyed his school days and I'll show you a
          bully and a bore. <Robert Morley>