Silverheels Displacement

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 24, 2004
      Long ago Chris Kottaridis asked about the displacement of Silverheels, and
      whether a schooner rig would fit her. He learned that Silverheels has a
      sister, Live Yankee, with a schooner rig on the same hull. After buying Live
      Yankee's plans Chris no doubt discovered her displacement, but the rest of
      you are still in the dark. I've just put Live Yankee into the online
      catalog, and the magazine articles Mrs. Atkin sent me show a displacement of
      8,500 lbs. for Live Yankee, with 2,500 lb. in the lead keel. The MoToR
      BoatinG article on Silverheels says she has a 1,500 lb. lead keel and 600
      lb. of inside ballast. Hmm. Between Live Yankee and Silverheels did the
      Atkins decide that different ballasting would be better? Or is the
      difference because of the heavier weight of the schooner rig? Probably the
      latter...

      One cat just leads to another.
      <Ernest Hemingway>